Is BJ PENN the most losingest "all time great" in combat sports history?

CombatScience

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
BJ PENN basically lost every other fight, for some reason many consider him to be great...that being said, is their another losingest "great" fighter in combat sports?

Randy Couture is another one. Only went 19-11.

Lost a bunch, but was given a title shot every other fight. Therefore he never had a long title reign, but instead lots of micro reigns.

Last edited:
But he's definitely the most motivated
jzhffb.gif

Wanderlei Silva was just 5-7 in the UFC, and a bunch of dudes he beat in Pride were tomato cans.

Him and Couture are both in that shitty record but still top 15-10ish all time category

Shogun is only 9-8 in the UFC and got choked out by Forrest!

it's a weird thing to debate, because there were some truly great boxers with a LOT of pummelings on their record. But how do you compare a guy who beat up 30 bums before he started fighting guys that were even remotely near the same skill level? That was VERY often the case.

They're obviously going to have a lot more wins than losses, even when they've lost a dozen+ times.

All that said, one name that DID pop in my mind right away was Wepner.

He was the inspiration for the Rocky character. He had a handful of legit wins, if I recall he dropped Ali when he fought him as well.

I believe his record was like 35-15-2.

numbers alone dont mean shit. Mark Hunt,Penn,and Couture all took risky fights,and were basically willing to fight anyone,any size, at any time.

Bj recently has been terrible to watch if you're a penn fan.. but the bj of yesteryear was a sight to see. Beat prime hughes gave gsp a good run the 1st time 50% of his career he fought above his weight class and showed heart. A legend for sure fought great competition

Sakuraba, Hendo, it's usually guys that move around weight classes too, I'd even give Nate Diaz an honorable mention, Shogun, I love Mark Hunt but he's never achieved all time great level success imo

2016 join date...

Why does join date matter, it's a think on this site and I can't figure out why.

I totally agree with you.
Most Shertards I believe, spend way too much time online. They have to step beyond the front door to the little known 'outdoors'.

IMG_0039.JPG

For some reason some people on here believe if you have more posts/likes or an old join date you are somehow higher up in society's eyes.

I've had other members on here call me white belt, comment on my join date....I don't really care, and ignore them.

But it is confusing why they feel they are somehow better; small world for them I suppose.

I've been following the UFC since inception, and started training Judo back in 1987 then TKD in 1989/1993. I was doing rear naked chokes and arm bars before some Sherdoggers were born.

But alas, since my join date is 2015 and I am white belt, apparently I know nothing compared to the 'long-timers'.

And to stay on TS's topic.....Randy Couture.

if it has to be explained to you then you probably wouldn't understand anyway

Many of his losses have come near the end of his career where he probably should have retired but chose to keep fighting, and the other losses are mostly against larger competition. His second defeat was against Lyoto Machida after all, can't blame him too much for that one.

Back