Is Billy Idol PUNK

He was a punk casual that never trained a day in his life.

I remember the days back in jr high and high school where discussions on who was punk and who wasn't were of the utmost importance. People used to get heated over whether Green Day was punk or not.

Nothing like punk. A pop rockstar that dresses like one though. Punk is a lot angrier and mean.

Nothing like punk. A pop rockstar that dresses like one though. Punk is a lot angrier and mean.
Yeah, def not punk during his solo days. But Rebel Yell was such a rocker.

Punk was poorly defined back then. It was based on the visual compared to disco and rock performers.

Acts like The Cars and Elvis Costello were even considered punk at one time.

IDK

Are Offspring and Greenday Punk?

The Offspring are fucking horrible. How they became popular still baffles me.
Green Day sucks as well. Dookie was ok, but the rest is garbage.

That's actually a good question. I'm a former punk and I couldn't tell ya. I'm wondering if he gave punk some of the look that came to define them, like the lip snarl thing....or if he just ripped that stuff off from someone else? Did he come around before or after the Sex Pistols?

I have read that he and another guy who went on to become a singer...might be the singer from Sigue Sigue Sputnik....cannot remember his name...they were heavy in the punk scene and would follow the Pistols from concert to concert before young William would sing for Gen X and then go solo...

Punk was alot more of a diverse art form than some here are thinking hence the " its not punk because it doesnt resemble the exploited or discharge etc,etc"

Billys solo stuff did deliberately blur the line between rock and dance music though so it was a genre into itself really.

also Billy is the man you slags better show some respect .<StannisFrown>

No.
Hardish rock with a quasi punk coat of paint.

I thought his guitarist had a good sound. But it wasn't even within a half mile of punk.

Stephens did indeed have a good sound.

Billy Idol did go commercial but he still rocked. Arguably his biggest hit was "Dancing with Myself" from his former band Generation X.

His music is a little more new wave imo but he does have a few punk sounding songs. His persona was for sure punk.

IDK

Are Offspring and Greenday Punk?

giphy.gif

Billy Idol is to Punk what Justin Bieber is to hiphop
Or what Billie Joe Armstrong is to punk. That said, most punk sucks anyway and Billy Idol had some good tunes.

Punk was poorly defined back then. It was based on the visual compared to disco and rock performers.

Acts like The Cars and Elvis Costello were even considered punk at one time.
yeah the term was too broad. Punk is more like The Damned, Sex Pistols, Black Flag and Gang of Four. I would consider The Clash as borderline

Stephens did indeed have a good sound.

Billy Idol did go commercial but he still rocked. Arguably his biggest hit was "Dancing with Myself" from his former band Generation X.
I was in... eighth grade, when that big record came out. I can't recall the name but it was huge that year, I bought a copy.
White Wedding, from the (previous?) album is good.

Good, edgy, echo layered guitar sounds. Stephens was underrated.

Back