Is Bill Burr one of the great social commentators today?

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
Stanhope is a legendary comedian, but let's be honest here. He is a barely functioning alcoholic and substance abusing degenerate with psychological issues who contributes nothing of value to society outside of entertainment. If there is something western society does not need more of it is entertainment.
You could replace "stanhope", with "devoutpessimist", and it would fit, minus the legendary comedian part.

That's the nature of accusations. If you're going to assert a position then you should cower when challenged on it.
OK. Then allow me to append what I said with, "This is only my opinion. Feel free to disagree."

I don't have the time or energy to go back and listen to more Bill Burr just to justify an opinion I don't even feel very strongly about.

OK. Then allow me to append what I said with, "This is only my opinion. Feel free to disagree."

I don't have the time or energy to go back and listen to more Bill Burr just to justify an opinion I don't even feel very strongly about.
I get triggered easily by unnecessary authoritative language. So when you said, "I've tried listening to him and he's not very well learned"...

I had to respond.

I really like his material. Jim Gaffigan is also very funny, although he keeps it light compared to Burr.

I don't know any modern comedian that comes close to Carlin as far as spot-on commentary and overall edginess. Joe Rogan approaches that territory sometimes but he plays it safer than Carlin did.

I really like his material. Jim Gaffigan is also very funny, although he keeps it light compared to Burr.

I don't know any modern comedian that comes close to Carlin as far as spot-on commentary and overall edginess. Joe Rogan approaches that territory sometimes but he plays it safer than Carlin did.
Don't ever place Rogaine in the same sentence as Carlin if you want to be taken seriously and not thought of as a troll/noob.

Don't ever place Rogaine in the same sentence as Carlin if you want to be taken seriously and not thought of as a troll/noob.
Tell me why I'm wrong. This is nothing but a smear. My comment was Carlin did edgy political commentary and Rogan sometimes approaches the same territory. Not many other modern comedians do, they mostly play it safe. I don't think you can come at me with evidence that I'm wrong so you've chosen the cheap and cowardly option of mockery without evidence.

Tell me why I'm wrong. This is nothing but a smear. My comment was Carlin did edgy political commentary and Rogan sometimes approaches the same territory. Not many other modern comedians do, they mostly play it safe. I don't think you can come at me with evidence that I'm wrong so you've chosen the cheap and cowardly option of mockery without evidence.
You run with that.

I was gonna say Bill Hicks but I just noticed you just said "modern." Even then, his material wouldn't be considered "edgy" today but him and Carlin were some of the pioneers of that style of comedy.

Louis CK is one of the best at pushing the envelope today but I feel like his material is derived mostly from his own life experiences.

I like Gervais' standup. We might have to look at some of the British comics for the criteria that you're looking for

Here's a good example of what I mean about Burr's shtick:

Funny, popular, but not smart and doesn't know much. He's credible as an everyman, but even he knows he's pretty much just full of shit, and that's fine.

George Carlin was a much more well informed comedian than bill burr. Carlin during interviews when he was just being serious was really smart and articulate. Al Franken is a very sharp comedian who made it into politics. Bill Mahr is pretty sharp and informed. Jon Stewart is sharp as a tack and would straight up wreck most politicians in a debate. letterman is very astute when he drops his stickt. Probably one of the most well spoken and intelligent person that the Democratic Party tries to bring back into politics that people would never suspect is Jerry Springer. Springer is that odd guy who became very good at something several gears below him and couldn't leave it due to being too successful at it. But, no bill burr is neither very smart or informed. He just regurgitates what some people in a comedic way. He is a comedian though who is paid to make people laugh so don't hold it against him for not being some grand philosophical social commentator. That isn't in his wheelhouse or most people's for that matter.

99% of people should be like that....We have idiots in life claiming they know everything, when they don't know shit, it's fucking annoying.

giphy.gif

George Carlin was a much more well informed comedian than bill burr. Carlin during interviews when he was just being serious was really smart and articulate. Al Franken is a very sharp comedian who made it into politics. Bill Mahr is pretty sharp and informed. Jon Stewart is sharp as a tack and would straight up wreck most politicians in a debate. letterman is very astute when he drops his stickt.

Nice. Agreed on all counts.

Here's a good example of what I mean about Burr's shtick:

Funny, popular, but not smart and doesn't know much. He's credible as an everyman, but even he knows he's pretty much just full of shit, and that's fine.

He is smart. He has common sense and points out shit that nobody else points out because they don't notice.

Im not saying he is a genius but he is smart, and his memory isn't bad. He recalls events pretty good.

He is smart. He has common sense and points out shit that nobody else points out because they don't notice.

Im not saying he is a genius but he is smart, and his memory isn't bad. He recalls events pretty good.
I'm not trying to say he's bad at what he does, he's just the dead exact opposite of an intellectual, and nothing he says is worth taking seriously. And that's fine, that's his act, he's good.

Stanhope is as sharp as they come. You have to be pretty clever to
No. Rogan is an extremely underrated. I can't think of anyone more underrated. People conflate his mma commentary with his stand up. Paul thomkin is just as underated

I'm not trying to say he's bad at what he does, he's just the dead exact opposite of an intellectual, and nothing he says is worth taking seriously. And that's fine, that's his act, he's good.
But he is right from what he says....Im not sure who you are talking about when you say intellectuals but these intellectuals don't point out the shit that bill burr points out.

It's his thing but he is right regardless.

Like in the clip, where he talks about polling and how no normal human being does that shit, you can lie, and the democrats probably didn't really take the people seriously and made up their mind before hand that they won those states......He summed it up perfectly and I never heard an intellectual point any of the who in the fuck does polling.

Stanhope is as sharp as they come. You have to be pretty clever to

No. Rogan is an extremely underrated. I can't think of anyone more underrated. People conflate his mma commentary with his stand up. Paul thomkin is just as underated
Yeah no, his standup is dogshit. Maybe it's ok if you like the "maybe if I scream my act it will be funny".

Back