Is Arlovski's power underrated?

Everyone would benefit from a Hunt chin but I wouldn't that his chin was THAT bad, as you point out I think his biggest weakness was that he was a confidence fighter, a loss often became more than one loss when he gave a run of gunshy performances.

Post Fedor especially he should have looked to take a paycut to take 1-2 gimmie buildup fights.
Hunt Chins are actually the worst for CTE, tho the best for fighting.

He had great hand speed for a HW, unfortunately he became very gunshy after all his KO losses.

When Arlovski goes into 'kill or be killed' mode there isn't a HW I'd rather watch fight.

If he had a better chin he'd be a HW GOAT contender imo.
agree 100% on the last part, aa with a chin would be a monster

Arlovski has good, crisp power as long as he’s in control and is allowed to put combinations together. If you let him tee off, he’ll put you away.

I wouldn’t say that he’s an all time power hitter just because he put away Nelson and Rothwell though.

Arlovski has good, crisp power as long as he’s in control and is allowed to put combinations together. If you let him tee off, he’ll put you away.

I wouldn’t say that he’s an all time power hitter just because he put away Nelson and Rothwell though.

In both cases though he finished them with essentially one punch, he beat Rothwell down in the 1st round but the actual finish was really just one big shot.

By some guys who keep telling when AA gets koed: This is HW...One punch could end the fight anytime.

I honestly do think he is underrated when it comes to power and fight IQ. However a bad run is a bad run, regardless of his last win.

I'll never forget how hyped I was for the Fedor fight but we all know how that ended lol..... Still an all time favorite of mine.

In both cases though he finished them with essentially one punch, he beat Rothwell down in the 1st round but the actual finish was really just one big shot.

Yes, but most of his KO punches are set up from his repeated connections, and it opens the door to land one clean shot that they can’t brace for. How often does Arlovski KO someone out of the blue with a single shot? I can’t think of any that weren’t badly battered first.

Tyson was a hard hitter, but a lot of his KO’s were the result of setting up an already battered opponent too. I know a lot of people will disagree, but a lot of his opponents said Tyson didn’t hit as hard as they thought he would. Tyson definitely had power (much more than Arlovski), but a lot of his brutal KO’s came from his hand speed and combinations. Mike would nail them with shots they couldn’t see after he usually hurt them. And anyone knows, you can even knock out an iron chinned guy with an unseen punch.

Last edited:
Yes, but most of his KO punches are set up from his repeated connections, and it opens the door to land one clean shot that they can’t brace for. How often does Arlovski KO someone out of the blue with a single shot? I can’t think of any that weren’t badly battered first.

Tyson was a hard hitter, but a lot of his KO’s were the result of setting up an already battered opponent too. I know a lot of people will disagree, but a lot of his opponents said Tyson didn’t hit as hard as they thought he would. Tyson definitely had power (much more than Arlovski), but a lot of his brutal KO’s came from his hand speed and combinations. Mike would nail them with shots they couldn’t see after he usually hurt them. And anyone knows, you can even knock out an iron chinned guy with an unseen punch.

If Tyson is your measurement of hitting hard that pretty much every fighter ever will fall short of that but Arlovski did have a load of situations where he either finished or knocked someone down with one shot(Nelson, Rothwell, Sylvia twice, Buetello, etc), I wouldn't generally call him a volume striker for that reason, the Rothwell fight was actually quite rare there due to Ben being so tough.

For heavy but consistently accurate(so no Carwins or Ngannous etc) hands at HW I would say the best ever are Fedor, Arlovski and JDS with Stipe, Aleks and Sergei just behind.

Last edited:
Back