Is anyone else paying attention to the slow destruction of Megyn Kelly's career?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I often wonder if she regrets leaving FOX.

Like I said in the OP though, I really don't understand why they have her on some vapid shit like the Today show. She's a legit journalist who knows how to go after serious stories. Why do they have her fucking around with a morning talk show?

I know who she is, but not too familiar with her besides her looks. What legit journalism comes to mind?

I know who she is, but not too familiar with her besides her looks. What legit journalism comes to mind?

A lot of people don't know this but she didn't start her journalism career at Fox.

Here's a paragraph from Wiki that sums up her early career:

In 2003, Kelly moved to Washington, D.C., where she was hired by the ABC affiliate WJLA-TV as a general assignment reporter. While there, she covered significant national and local events, including live coverage of the confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. and Chief Justice John G. Roberts; the retirement of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor; the death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist; and the 2004 presidential election. After working as a journalist for WJLA, Kelly then applied for a job at Fox News in 2004. CNN president Jonathan Klein would later regret not hiring Kelly as a reporter at the beginning of her career, as she was "the one talent you'd want to have from somewhere else".

She then went to Fox where she cut her teeth early on as a legal and political reporter (she was a lawyer before she was a journalist).

More recently, on NBC, she anchored a newsmagazine called Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly, which was basically a 60 Minutes clone.

I used to watch her when she was the anchor for Fox News for 2 hours during the day.

Then when she got her primetime slot on Fox, she became too serious (I know the audience for primetime is different, but she took the seriousness up to 11), cut her hair to look like Katie Kouric - which is a horrible look for her, and became the 'I want to derail Trump's Presidential Run' show on Fox.

Then she left for whatever network she's on now, for the $23 million salary (good for her), but when I saw this interview I realised she plays to her audience or whoever her employers are.

Then she left for whatever network she's on now, for the $23 million salary (good for her), but when I saw this interview I realised she plays to her audience or whoever her employers are.

To be fair, if you have Putin in your hand and you're a journalist, what else are you going to ask him about right now other than the hacking allegations?

And on a related note, anyone else think it's weird that Putin almost never speaks English in interviews with Western journalists? He's perfectly capable of doing so.

To be fair, if you have Putin in your hand and you're a journalist, what else are you going to ask him about right now other than the hacking allegations?

Something with some evidence behind it.

And on a related note, anyone else think it's weird that Putin almost never speaks English in interviews with Western journalists? He's perfectly capable of doing so.

He's never learned English.

Much easier to hire translators.

He's never learned English.

Much easier to hire translators.

He's spoken English before. I've heard it. Accent is kind of thick, but he can speak it.

Here's an article that talks about it as well:

“In free discourse, at the sidelines of summits, he often speaks in English by himself,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the state-run Rossiya 1 television channel on Monday, talking about how Putin approached other leaders at the G20 summit. “But during negotiations and when he is conducting an official meeting, of course he communicates, through a translator.”

“However he practically understands English completely and sometimes even corrects the translators,” Peskov said. “A translator will always have a crisis moment. I worked as a translator at a high level myself, which is why I am familiar with the stress of it.”

Officially, besides his native Russian, Putin speaks English and German—a language he used on a daily basis in his past career for the Soviet security services (KGB) while deployed in the city of Dresden in East Germany during the 1980s. . . .

Putin frequently opts to use German during his travels to German-speaking countries and has even used it in official functions. During his first presidential visit to Berlin in 2001 he addressed German lawmakers “in the language of Goethe, Schiller and Kant.”

During director Oliver Stone’s recently broadcast interview series with Putin, the president interchanged between English and Russian when speaking to the U.S. filmmaker, including during a tour of his Kremlin office. He also chose to address the Bureau of International Expositions in English, in 2013.

I can't tell if he just doesn't feel confident enough in his English ability or if there's some other, more strategic reason for always reverting to Russian, even when conducting an interview with an English-speaker.

For anyone who's curious, here are excerpts from the demo tape that landed Kelly the job at Fox. Interesting how she looks the same . . . but also different (and I just don't mean age).

Nope, sorry. Guys I know don't do that.

My friends have no problem getting laid.

And we don't talk like that. Anyone that did would be considered a complete tool.

I'm sure there are people that talk like that, but I would not associate with them.
Damn. You sound like a really upstanding dude. Good job man.

A lot of people don't know this but she didn't start her journalism career at Fox.

Here's a paragraph from Wiki that sums up her early career:

She then went to Fox where she cut her teeth early on as a legal and political reporter (she was a lawyer before she was a journalist).

More recently, on NBC, she anchored a newsmagazine called Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly, which was basically a 60 Minutes clone.

What in this post did you think qualified as "legit journalism" in regards to the question you were asked? Her history as a reporter isn't exactly an example of her "legit journalism" in the sense he meant.

and became the 'I want to derail Trump's Presidential Run' show on Fox....

....but when I saw this interview I realised she plays to her audience or whoever her employers are.

{<jordan}

Some of the amazing things you read on this forum...

What in this post did you think qualified as "legit journalism" in regards to the question you were asked? Her history as a reporter isn't exactly an example of her "legit journalism" in the sense he meant.

You're just being combative at this point. As you always tend to do, for whatever reason. In every discussion.

You're just being combative at this point. As you always tend to do, for whatever reason. In every discussion.

I simply asked you a question. You made an assertion and have continuously failed to back it up, I'm just wondering why, or hoping you'll realize your errors and change your thinking.

I'm sorry being told you're wrong makes you feel like you're in combat.

I simply asked you a question. You made an assertion and have continuously failed to back it up, I'm just wondering why, or hoping you'll realize your errors and change your thinking.

I'm sorry being told you're wrong makes you feel like you're in combat.

This doesn't qualify as "legitimate journalism" to you?

While there, she covered significant national and local events, including live coverage of the confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. and Chief Justice John G. Roberts; the retirement of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor; the death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist; and the 2004 presidential election.

I also mentioned that in her early years at Fox she was field reporter, covering legal and political stories.

What does she have to do, break a new Watergate before you'll recognize her credentials?

If that's your attitude then you're right that someone here is wrong. But it's not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't qualify as "legitimate journalism" to you?

While there, she covered significant national and local events, including live coverage of the confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr. and Chief Justice John G. Roberts; the retirement of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor; the death of Chief Justice William Rehnquist; and the 2004 presidential election.

I also mentioned that in her early years at Fox she was field reporter, covering legal and political stories.

What does she have to do, break a new Watergate before you'll recognize her credentials?

If that's your attitude then you're right that someone here is wrong. But it's not me.

Sounds like a credible reporter to me.

Sounds like a credible reporter to me.

Every reporter is also a journalist.

That's just the fact of the matter. If you don't understand this then I'd recommend you read up on the profession.

You know what my first journalism class was called? Journalism I: News Reporting and Writing.

Every reporter is also a journalist.

That's just the fact of the matter. If you don't understand this then I'd recommend you read up on the profession.

You know what my first journalism class was called? Journalism I: News Reporting and Writing.

So you'd say CNN is loaded with credible journalists?

I understand why you'd want to fall back on the simplest interpretation of it's definition, but when you were asked for examples of her "legit journalism", you weren't being asked for a wiki summary of what she's reported on. Something tells me you actually knew that though....

Honestly, I don't think any Fox News host could go to another network/cable station and have good success.

Once you've been on Fox News, there will forever be one audience that will take you seriously: the audience of Fox News. Once you fall out of favor with them, for instance by treating their moronic idol as an accountable adult, you can kiss your career in tv journalism goodbye.

Like, do you think that Sean Hannity could go to Dateline? Fuck no, all the viewers would turn that shit off because they're adults.

As some of you no doubt remember, Megyn Kelly was a FOX News mainstay for a long time. The host of The Kelly File and an extremely visible member of the FOX team, I grew to associate her with the network and the network with her.

Some of you will probably also remember her feud with Donald Trump, summed up briefly here:

I was shocked when she jumped ship and left FOX to join NBC. It seemed almost unthinkable to me, but there she went, and I've kept tabs on her ever since to see how well things were going to go for her.

Well, they're not going super-well. Her newsmagazine Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly fared poorly in the ratings and was put on hiatus. And her hour-long slot as part of The Today Show also isn't doing great and has come under criticism.

And just yesterday, an article broke calling the atmosphere surrounding her show "toxic," saying:

And:

I've always liked Megyn Kelly so it's tough to see her struggling, but honestly, I don't even know what the fuck NBC is doing with her. Why is a woman known for hard-hitting journalism a host on the mellow, easy-going Today show?

Is anyone else following what's going on with her, or is just me? It's actually pretty fascinating to watch, even though I'd rather see her be successful.

nup_179864_0032.jpg

Meghan Kelly struck me as a celebrity journalist, like Christine Ammanpour, Barbara Walters, Geraldo, Bill O'Reilly, Brian Williams, Mika Brezinski and Joe Scarborough.

Since I lived in London in the early and mid 90s, I noticed that American MSM make celebrities out of anchors . It seems calculated, so that people will just believe claims coming from a well known journalist / anchor. The Brits , especially the BBC, from the 90s did not makes anchors to be celebrities and 'popular'. The Brits just delivered the news, without the American penchant for dramatization and sexing up the delivery of news.

I think this is one of the major problems with American media and democracy, the creation of celebrity Journalists / anchors.

So you'd say CNN is loaded with credible journalists?

I understand why you'd want to fall back on the simplest interpretation of it's definition, but when you were asked for examples of her "legit journalism", you weren't being asked for a wiki summary of what she's reported on. Something tells me you actually knew that though....

I would say that CNN is loaded with credible journalists, yes. I'm using credible in the sense of competency. You don't get to work for CNN if you haven't demonstrated a proficiency in the field.

And hey, don't get mad at me because you didn't understand that field reporters are journalists. You don't get to expose your own ignorance and then try to turn that around on someone else.

I would say that CNN is loaded with credible journalists, yes. I'm using credible in the sense of competency. You don't get to work for CNN if you haven't demonstrated a proficiency in the field.

And hey, don't get mad at me because you didn't understand that field reporters are journalists. You don't get to expose your own ignorance and then try to turn that around on someone else.

...you still don't get it?

You completely misinterpreted what was asked of you. An example of her breaking a story, an example of quality pieces she's written, that's what was meant by "legit journalism". The fact that you have now lowered the bar all the way to 'competent reporting' just to justify your inability to produce examples of her quality, is a testament to what's happened in this thread.

Megan Kelly sucks. She's always sucked. The only thing that changed was what money she was beholden to.

The short hair lesbian look needs to go away. Miley, Katy Perry, Kelly. Tons of other celebrities. This trend is like the bleach blonde trend for guys in the 90's

Back