is anthony pettis past his prime?

If he's that good, why does he keep losing?
Because he isn’t evolving with the newer talent, it pretty much happens to all athletes as they age and think they can get away with not evolving. It’s almost like it’s a mantra at roufusport. Don’t tell your cash cows to improve and evolve so they keep shelling out the dough.

Pettis was still taken down early by Chiesa, who was also trying to do all kinds of flashy stupidities, compromising position repeatedly. And Chiesa is not exactly the most athletic guy or best wrestler in the division.

Truth is, Pettis hasn't changed, and will never change. He is susceptible to being pressured and outworked by a pressure grappler.

It's not about primes or not. Him losing had to do with people figuring out his kicking heavy game and mediocre takedown defense is vulnerable. He and his fans like to believe in the myth that the only reason he started losing was because he wasn't fighting at the same level as before. That's just excuses.

I think it has nothing to do with whether he is good or bad or prime or past prime or what not.

He is just losing because he seems to try to be too flashy. Seems fighters who win consistently are usually fighters who sticks to the basics.

He might be. All i know is my Boxes of Pettis Wheaties are way past their prime.
Eat them when you're stopped up. They'll solve the problem.

And of course Pettis is past his prime. He can still grow as a fighter, but he went from wrecking shit to losing consecutive fights and looking average at best. I don't know about his physical state, but overall as a fighter, his prime is in the rearview. Although I think he could reinvent himself somewhat and probably make a run. But at least his old approach is past its prime.

Imagine what Khabib would do to him.
In the name of sportsmanship, hopefully he’d wrap up first before penetrating.

Pettis was still taken down early by Chiesa, who was also trying to do all kinds of flashy stupidities, compromising position repeatedly. And Chiesa is not exactly the most athletic guy or best wrestler in the division.

Truth is, Pettis hasn't changed, and will never change. He is susceptible to being pressured and outworked by a pressure grappler.

It's not about primes or not. Him losing had to do with people figuring out his kicking heavy game and mediocre takedown defense is vulnerable. He and his fans like to believe in the myth that the only reason he started losing was because he wasn't fighting at the same level as before. That's just excuses.

Ranked #6 and "isn't that good"

trolololol

Eh he’s always a person with high offense but physically frail. There were always fights that you saw him just break.

Nah. I dont think so.

I think 155 is just stupid stacked. I also dont really think Pettis has that "it" factor in fighting. When things arent going his way he never turns it around.

His last fight was the first time i had seen him do this. I think he might be just entering his prime honestly

I really thought so but he looked rejuvenated against Chiesa

TS asked if Pettis is in his prime. He is, he's only 31. I point out he's not that good, and hence he doesn't have the title.

What do you want from me?
You can be good and not have the title ya fucken idiot hahaha.

Pettis is the man

But he has lost a step with his footwork and scrambling ability due to age and injury

Anyone that says pettis is no good is a clown straight up

Yes he is. Just like Jose Aldo is way past his prime at 31.

When will these guys understand that age isnt the only measurement for mileage and mental exhaustion of an athlete????

Ffs.

Oh now people are saying he was never that good? I remember when everyone was saying he's the lw goat and would destroy bj and Frankie. He probably is past his prime and there's no doubt in my mind that his mind isn't the same that it used to be. And remember, shoguns last fight he looked like his old self he was 27 or 28, so she doesn't really mean much

~DaViD~

Both he and Carlos Condit have visibly lost a step.

Prime Pettis got wrestlefucked by Guida. Wrestlers are his kryptonite unfortunately (similar to Diaz bros, effective standup, great BJJ, horrible TDD).

I always wanted to see Pettis vs. Nate Diaz at 155. I think that would be a crazy fight.

It's all about his dance partner.

As long as he isn't facing a pressure wrestler he might be in his prime.

I believed this as well but watched him get out-struck by Barboza. He has lost 5 of is last 8 and looks like he has lost a step. He is still very good, but his best days may be behind him.

For those saying he was never good, you are mistaken, from 2011 to 2014, Pettis was arguably the best 155er in the UFC.

That fight against Chiesa was the first time I thought he lost a significant step, even though he got the W. He looked way slower than usual.

Back