Is Anthony Joshua really the next big thing

TinkerMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched his fight vs white and he seems to robotic, too bulky . I know sky sports are so far upnhis backside their coming out his eyeballs but I honestly don't think he's as good as people make out, someone awkward like fury IMO will beat him and once he gets a top 5 opponent maybe he will be a bit more exposed

He looked very flawed in his last fight. exciting style for sure but he needs lots of work

his defense is still somewhat lacking, it is only hard for him to be hit from certain angles due to the size of his full supple muscles being in the way. He needs to learn to time his punches better and counter as well because with his defense leaves him open for penetrating attacks down the pipe. Him and Deontay are both of the black flesh families that are learning on the job. They are still evolving Mr Tinker.

his defense is still somewhat lacking, it is only hard for him to be hit from certain angles due to the size of his full supple muscles being in the way. He needs to learn to time his punches better and counter as well because with his defense leaves him open for penetrating attacks down the pipe. Him and Deontay are both of the black flesh families that are learning on the job. They are still evolving Mr Tinker.

Both fighters started really late, think Deontay was like 21 and Anthony Joshua 18 so they have way more growth potential in their pro career than most fighters do

He is talented, and in this era could eventually be champ. But I think he may be bulking up a bit too much. I think he's up in the mid-240s now. He would probably be best suited at 230, as to not suffer the same loss of speed, fluidity, and stamina that Holyfield faced.

He is talented, and in this era could eventually be champ. But I think he may be bulking up a bit too much. I think he's up in the mid-240s now. He would probably be best suited at 230, as to not suffer the same loss of speed, fluidity, and stamina that Holyfield faced.

it would be hard to tenderize him though. Imagine if his inside game grew to new levels. All new levels of getting inside would be present with Mr Joshua.

His next couple of fights will determine that.
The same point in Fury's career where he suddenly improved drastically, and tweaked his style.
He certainly has the raw talent.

Dillan is a better fighter than people give him credit for imo.

I agree with the guy who said that Whyte is underrated, its a very solid win for Joshua.
I think AJ is the clear blue chip prospect at HW. He's a million miles better than Parker. Parker's fighting guys like Kali Meehan

He's an A+ athlete with some fantastic skills. He needs more seasoning for sure, but he's definitely has the potential to be THE guy.

Holyfield is a natural 200 pounder . He started his career below 180...You are comparing a 6'6 giant who can easily be effective at 240/250 pounds where guys his height are in this era.Holyfield at his heaviest weight while still relatively fit was 218 against Tyson in a fight he even said was the best conditioned fight he trained for because he needed to be. Comparing a natural cruiserweight of 6'2 and a natural HW at 6'6 guys isn't reasonable here in using weight distribution.

Holyfield is a natural 200 pounder . He started his career below 180...You are comparing a 6'6 giant who can easily be effective at 240/250 pounds where guys his height are in this era.Holyfield at his heaviest weight while still relatively fit was 218 against Tyson in a fight he even said was the best conditioned fight he trained for because he needed to be. Comparing a natural cruiserweight of 6'2 and a natural HW at 6'6 guys isn't reasonable here in using weight distribution.

Everybody is capable of putting on too much weight for their frame, even a guy who is 6'6.

Holyfield is a good example of a guy who was notably slower when he gained weight. Cruiserweight Holyfield was more fluid than bulked-up 220 pound Holyfield.

Likewise, I believe 230 pound Joshua would be more fluid and have more stamina than 250 pound Joshua.

Just my opinion, based on other fighters I've seen in the past. Heavier is not automatically better, it needs to be sensual weight.

Everybody is capable of putting on too much weight for their frame, even a guy who is 6'6.

Holyfield is a good example of a guy who was notably slower when he gained weight. Cruiserweight Holyfield was more fluid than bulked-up 220 pound Holyfield.

Likewise, I believe 230 pound Joshua would be more fluid and have more stamina than 250 pound Joshua.

Just my opinion, based on other fighters I've seen in the past. Heavier is not automatically better, it needs to be sensual weight.
Have you seen Joshuas frame?

Being slower has nothing to do with being more effective...do you really think 190/200 pound Holyfield beats the majority of guys he did at HW ?

What have you seen in the past ? Joshua has fought mainly in the 240's? Lewis most effective weight was 240 plus as well.Most fighters have gone downhill due to age not weight.

Dont know yet. Hes talented and dangerous but has a ways to go. Give it another year imo.

Have you seen Joshuas frame?
Yeah. He's 6'5.

Being slower has nothing to do with being more effective...

Being slower has a lot to do with being less effective.

do you really think 190/200 pound Holyfield beats the majority of guys he did at HW ?

He gained weight to fight for more money at heavyweight, not to become a better boxer.

What have you seen in the past ? Joshua has fought mainly in the 240's? Lewis most effective weight was 240 plus as well.Most fighters have gone downhill due to age not weight.

I have seen boxers become lesser versions of themselves (loss of speed, loss of endurance) when they bulk up too much for their frame.

Holyfield, Duran, Roy Jones, etc.

Joshua gained 20 pounds in 2 years. Started at 230 in mid-2013, was at 249 against Cornish in mid 2015. He looks stiff to me.

Just my opinion.

Yeah. He's 6'5.

Being slower has a lot to do with being less effective.

He gained weight to fight for more money at heavyweight, not to become a better boxer.

I have seen boxers become lesser versions of themselves (loss of speed, loss of endurance) when they bulk up too much for their frame.

Holyfield, Duran, Roy Jones, etc.

Joshua gained 20 pounds in 2 years. Started at 230 in mid-2013, was at 249 against Cornish in mid 2015. He looks stiff to me.

Just my opinion.
Your entire post doesn't add up...you are now comparing lighter weight classes when the topic is a natural Super Heavy Weight...Joshua started his career at 230 and it only lasted a few fights he was 240 in his 3rd fight so you really are just jumping wherever you wish. A smaller faster HW is not more effective today just watch Haye vs Wlad, or anyone really under 220. Holyfield weighed 217 when he defeated Bowe..his other two losses is when he was faster at a lighter weight....myth exposed right there. Joshua 6'6!

Apparently Joshua being slower after putting on 20lbs is rocket science to grasp.

Your entire post doesn't add up...you are now comparing lighter weight classes when the topic is a natural Super Heavy Weight

The laws of physics apply to everybody, not just lighter weight classes.

You bulk up, you slow down. You gain weight, you lose stamina. These are general rules that apply to most human beings.

But have you seen Joshuas frame? I heard he is 6'6".

Back