Is American/Full Contact Kickboxing dead in the United States?

It starts to look like MMA and Kickboxing when you remove all the BS...

Well, if it's a karate competition I'm not sure that you should be able to follow them to the ground.

The thing about kudo is that even though it's called "karate" I'm not sure I really consider it a style of karate. My understanding is the founder blended Kyokushin and Judo (hence Kudo) to create his style. So already it's a hybrid style because of the judo, but more importantly, some of the hallmarks of karate--like kata, for instance--were jettisoned. If I saw some guys practicing Kudo, and they didn't have a gi on, would I think it's karate or something else? Probably something else.

If that's the case then Kyokushin is already a Hybrid style. Many people seem to forget that Mas Oyama was a High Ranking Judoka [4th iirc] and his early students also held Dan ranking in Judo. I learned some Judo Throws when I did Kyokushin when I lived in NY.

I think Kyokushin in MMA gloves with face punching allowed would catch on alot better than this karate combat thing.

It's already been tried in France and was called Pro Fight Karate. It was essentially Kyokushin rules with head punches and throws. The majority of the fighters were from Kyokushin, Shidokan (a Kyokushin hybrid) and Muay Thai backgrounds, but there were also some fighters from Wing Chun, Kickboxing and MMA.

Quite a few of the fights are available here:

Pro Fight Karate 1, 2 and 3:
https://www.dailymotion.com/SeiDoJyuku/playlists

Pro Fight Karate 3 and 4:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProFightKarate/videos

After a few events there was not enough interest to secure a proper TV deal or investment so they had to stop running them.

It would be interesting to see a kudo guy fight mma

You should check out Hisaki Kato then, he's a Kudo guy who fights in MMA. He KO'd Joe Schilling both in Kickboxing and MMA.

^Kato signed with K1-Japan. He's on the next June card.

Well, if it's a karate competition I'm not sure that you should be able to follow them to the ground.

The thing about kudo is that even though it's called "karate" I'm not sure I really consider it a style of karate. My understanding is the founder blended Kyokushin and Judo (hence Kudo) to create his style. So already it's a hybrid style because of the judo, but more importantly, some of the hallmarks of karate--like kata, for instance--were jettisoned. If I saw some guys practicing Kudo, and they didn't have a gi on, would I think it's karate or something else? Probably something else.

Throws have long been a part of traditional karate training but not ground work and submissions. So if you allow groundwork and submissions in competition you're starting to get away from karate and it's becoming more like just another MMA kind of deal. I don't have a problem at all with that kind of ruleset, but I think I might have a problem with calling it karate.

I see what you mean.

It's already been tried in France and was called Pro Fight Karate. It was essentially Kyokushin rules with head punches and throws. The majority of the fighters were from Kyokushin, Shidokan (a Kyokushin hybrid) and Muay Thai backgrounds, but there were also some fighters from Wing Chun, Kickboxing and MMA.

Quite a few of the fights are available here:

Pro Fight Karate 1, 2 and 3:
https://www.dailymotion.com/SeiDoJyuku/playlists

Pro Fight Karate 3 and 4:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProFightKarate/videos

After a few events there was not enough interest to secure a proper TV deal or investment so they had to stop running them.

You should check out Hisaki Kato then, he's a Kudo guy who fights in MMA. He KO'd Joe Schilling both in Kickboxing and MMA.

those were great fights to watch i subscribed to their page.

those were great fights to watch i subscribed to their page.

Well don't expect new fights to be added to their page as it's stopped, but you can still enjoy all the fights from the previous events.

Back