Opinion Is "American" an ethnicity? If so, what are its defining characteristics?

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Beneath the cultural struggle over the identity of America is a question of what it means to be American. This thread is not intended for asking who should run things, or which racial group is this or that, but to ask whether the sum of the things that make up America qualifies it as an ethnic group.

I think the answer is "no" and I like that about my country. But it's a legit question that is becoming more relevant as America grows older, and especially as the various ethnicities mix.

Is it a sort of superethnicity? If you drive across the country you will see everything, and in unexpected places. Is it possible that an acceptance of all ethnicities somehow becomes an ethnic characteristic? The cuisine might be an example of this.

The easy answer is that American is a nationality comprised of many ethnic groups. Maybe that's just correct and it could be left at that.

We have a unique consumer (and entrepreneurship) culture that binds us. What does that count for in terms of ethnicity? Anything?

Anyway, this is not something I'm equipped to argue with much confidence. But I'm interested in hearing how "American" might be considered an ethnicity.

From Wiki, here is a map showing who identifies as having American ancestry (Kentucky like whoa):

American1346.gif

My family goes back in this country many generations. I likely wouldn't relate to the people they came from 100s of years ago. I know I have Irish and English descent but don't consider myself Irish or English.

There is no American ethnicity, and that is part of what makes us a special country. To me, being an American is something much more meaningful than that.

I have always seen America as a land of opportunity for people from all over the world, and the people that I have always viewed as being the most American are those who have come here and built something special for themselves and their families. My grandfather was Sicilian, but he was as American as anybody I've ever known. His wife was Polish, but again, American through and through.

Right now I see the traits that I admired so much in them in the families that recently immigrated here and are building something meaningful. I spent Thanksgiving weekend with a Filipino family, and seeing three generations of their family in one place having carved out their own American dream. The oldest generation immigrated as adults, they raised their kids here, and now they have grandchildren. Is there anything more American than that family? I don't believe so.

So ethnicity has nothing to do with being American. Whether you are Sicilian, Polish, or Filipino by ancestry, you can be an equal part of this country and what makes this country great.

Lol the shittiest parts of the country. Not surprised.
Hoping to steer clear of that, since ethnicity/culture is already a touchy subject, and the thread is trying to define things and have food for thought, rather than air grievances.

Like in that map, why is it that KY is especially "American" according the people who live there?

Hoping to steer clear of that, since ethnicity/culture is already a touchy subject, and the thread is trying to define things and have food for thought, rather than air grievances.
American is not an ethnicity but hillbillies tend to think it is.

Like in that map, why is it that KY is especially "American" according the people who live there?
I would guess it goes back to the civil war, right?

The people in Kentucky who identify as "American" may be entirely unaware of their family history. There are not always very clear records kept from the poor areas of Kentucky/Appalachia. Some of those people may only know that they are American.

My grandmother (on the other side) grew up in Kentucky/Virginia in those areas. When she fell ill with Alzheimer's, my mom completed an ancestry test on her. Nothing that they believed to be true about their history turned out to be true.

I would guess it goes back to the civil war, right?
Honestly no idea
The people in Kentucky who identify as "American" may be entirely unaware of their family history. There are not always very clear records kept from the poor areas of Kentucky/Appalachia. Some of those people may only know that they are American.

My grandmother (on the other side) grew up in Kentucky/Virginia in those areas. When she fell ill with Alzheimer's, my mom completed an ancestry test on her. Nothing that they believed to be true about their history turned out to be true.
That makes some sense as far as Appalachia goes.

Are we distinguishing between ancestry and heritage? And if so, how?

Maybe.
If so the answer can be summed up in 6 words: "Fuck her right in the pussy!"

If somebody asks me I tell them that I'm French, Irish, Norwegian, and a pinky toe of Native American, but I consider my self an American first as my family goes back 5 generations. Hell there is even a lake with my last name that was from property my Great Great Grandpa homesteaded in my hometown.

Are we distinguishing between ancestry and heritage? And if so, how?
Kinda subjective, but ancestry is a matter of fact and heritage in this sense is related to behaviors and observances that pass down. American ancestry is so all over the place that if it is going to be considered a factor in ethnicity, then the ancestral diversity itself must be a characteristic of the ethnic group. Common heritage might include things like patriotism and constitutionalism? Not sure.

Being obese and unable to name countrys on a world map. Just kidding not all Americans are obese

Nah, I'm an Erstad / Sørensen and my genome overwhelmingly clusters with Scandinavian populations (namely Norway); fam was mid 20th century immigrants so that is what it is. In terms of nationality and culture, I'm a very proud American. The most pro-American motherfucker on this forum. ;)

It’s a nationality not ethnicity

Back