Is Aaron Pico next in line for a Bellator featherweight titleshot

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by strongstylekarate, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:23 PM.

1. strongstylekarate

strongstylekarate Superpower

Is Aaron Pico next in line for a Bellator featherweight titleshot?

2. strongstylekarate

strongstylekarate Superpower

3. Mmmmmmma1234

Mmmmmmma1234 Brown Belt

Might as well be. Are there even other contenders?

4. JoeyJoeJoeJr

JoeyJoeJoeJr Purple Belt

Hes still early in his career but hell why not. Id watch it

5. Go Go Plata

Go Go Plata Black Belt

Um, how about the undefeated kid who just KOd his toughest challenge yet? AJ McKee deserves the shot way before Pico.

EXOICHO, WallyBear and Meathead Jock like this.
  6. GueseGuy

GueseGuy Green Belt

He’s probably ready for it but I’d hold off if I were Bellator. What’s the rush? Have him face like Justin Lawrence or something. Let him have a few more fights. Him and McKee are not gonna fight each other so you can’t really rush them into the title picture. Cause then you’re gonna be stuck with a #1 contender and a champ who don’t wanna fight one another. So just let Pico do his thing.

dirtroller likes this.
  7. AGEZ909

AGEZ909 Brown Belt

Hes not. Way too young. He needs at least 2 or 3 more fights before challenging someone lke pitbull. Pitbull vs Sanchez is a good fight but i think pitbull takes it. Caldwell may be next after that. There is essentially nothing for him at 135 atm.

Id say that pico fights a corrales

8. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

They're grooming him for it. Judging by his last opponent Higo he'll get another tough test next, if available. I believe that's the plan. But they won't rush him. They just do it right based on his ability.

Being champ means he's less active. You want to keep a top prospect fighting at least 4-5 times a year to get the most out of him if and when he's champ. There's no point in taking a risk by rushing it. It might work, but the long road is the safer path. More veterans. I think Pitbull's too soon.

9. WallyBear

WallyBear I am the liquor.

What I love about Pico is, that with his skillset, almost every fight feels like a great matchup.

Match him up with a striker? Pico has some great hands and can keep it competitive standing or take him down for fun.
    Match him up with a wrestler? His wrestling should be good enough to stop most takedowns and then his striking comes into play.

That doesn't mean that I think he is unbeatable, he is still showing some weaknesses (striking defence IIRC), but he looks amazing for a fighter with his record and
    beating Higo the way he did in his fifth pro fight is pretty damn good. But they shouldn't throw him directly in there for the title, now it's McKee's time and a fight against someone in the lower Top10
    of Bellator's FW division should be a good matchup. Archuleta, Corrales or Macapa (he got starched by McKee but I still think he's a solid opponent for a relatively newcomer like Pico) could be decent opponents.

MCS likes this.
  10. Pem123

Pem123 Red Belt

AJ Mckee should get the title shot next.

Go Go Plata likes this.
  11. Mentallooser

Mentallooser Purple Belt

The long road plan should be McKee vs Pico. Left them both rack up more wins. It'll be awesome

savemgs likes this.
  12. EXOICHO

EXOICHO Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card

we dont know how good his ground game is yet though

13. savemgs

savemgs Black Belt

Yes.

14. WallyBear

WallyBear I am the liquor.

Good point, his wrestling is elite on paper and I don't know how good his Jiu-Jitsu skills are. We don't know how he reacts if he gets taken down and has to operate from his back.
    But I think his wrestling skills will prevent that situation more often then not.

15. SalvadorAllende

SalvadorAllende Paper belt

I think McKee should be first. Problem is that they both are training partners.

But why not? Pico is a beast... it would not hurt him to lose a title fight against Pitbull.

16. dirtroller

dirtroller Green Belt

I’d like to see him fight a couple more mid-tier contenders and then a #1 contender fight before getting a shot.

His fights have been pretty straight forward so far. He just overwhelms people with superior boxing and blows them away. He needs to be tested in more positions . How’s he going to look when someone pushes him with a diverse attack on the feet and he needs to transition to a takedown? Can he hold down someone who has a slick guard and tries to scramble up?

He might go out there in a title fight and KO the champ. But to be a complete fighter, he needs more of those reps in practice and in live competition.

17. campbecc

campbecc Silver Belt

Maybe. But he needs to work on his defense or maybe just be so wild. It makes him fun to watch but he's going to get hit a lot with the way he goes all out on offense

18. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Darrion Caldwell and AJ Mckee are ahead of Pico right now.