is a tag heuer worth the price?

I'm not into watches but Breitling makes a beautiful watch

breitling-bentley-motors-t-speed-chronograph-watch.jpg

I have a Breitling Colt, I love the thing but I wouldn't buy any other Breitling models, the face is way too busy IMO, too many numbers on that.

I have a Breitling Colt, I love the thing but I wouldn't buy any other Breitling models, the face is way too busy IMO, too many numbers on that.

Lol some of them do have what seems to be an infinite amount of numbers on them. I can't disagree with that

Watches are even gayer than men wearing jewelry

I've had a Carrera Calibre for a few years…it was my first "nice" watch, I'm not big on expensive accessories…I don't think I'd ever view a watch as an investment, so probably wouldn't ever buy a really high end one, but I just wanted a simple/clean, nice looking watch…I think it looks good and am very happy with it, I might get the black leather band just to change things up...

i bought a breitling replica once and it lasted 3 weeks. 100 bucks to the toilet.

I used to go to Beijing twice a year for work, with one trip strategically planned right before Christmas. I would spend a full day at the silk market just buying shit tons of knockoffs with a little hand held knock off buying guide I printed out. The last time I went was 2013 and all of the watches I have are still working perfectly. Paid 20 bucks a piece for perfect replicas of the Breitling pictured on this page and a bunch of Rolexes.

They were all great gifts and watch snobs couldn't tell the difference without close inspection.

I used to go to Beijing twice a year for work, with one trip strategically planned right before Christmas. I would spend a full day at the silk market just buying shit tons of knockoffs with a little hand held knock off buying guide I printed out. The last time I went was 2013 and all of the watches I have are still working perfectly. Paid 20 bucks a piece for perfect replicas of the Breitling pictured on this page and a bunch of Rolexes.

They were all great gifts and watch snobs couldn't tell the difference without close inspection.

Should be able to instantly tell from the second hands.

Eventually between myself the retailer harassing them they took it back and fixed it free. But I also found out that the $1500-$2000 range no longer buys you the quality it used to and TAG like many is having many of the components of their "Swiss" watch manufactured in China and shipped, something that was not the case when I bought my first TAG. There are some good quality watches in that range (Omega has some) but you really need to research watch forums first or you can get screwed. Now to get the same quality as my $1300 watch 25 years ago you need to spend in that $5k range.
Thats sad. What about Oris or Hamilton, have they cheaped out on warranty/quality?

A. Lange & Söhne make the most beautiful watches.....of course we’re talking 200k and up

09BEB69B-DCDD-462F-9971-A41E475556B0.jpeg
F96A5315-0271-4353-A80C-943EE113622E.jpeg

I recommend Breitling watch. A bit more personality and less commercial than Tag.

a4436010bb71pilotsteel.jpg

Last edited:
Don't buy a TAG TS.

I say that with a heavy heart. My first TAG was really my first big purchase for myself that was not a used car. After University and being a year into my first career job I wanted to buy a watch. I was planning to buy a little cheepo dress watch but the sales person talked me up to a TAG. I was into Rock Climbing and Sky Diving and scuba diving and all sorts of activities at the time and he convinced me I needed a rugged sports watch that also looked good dressed up. I paid $1300 for that watch 25 years ago and it still works perfectly and looks like new. Never an issue. I don't like dressy watches and like a simple uncluttered face.

However it is dated looking with the smaller face as all watches upsized in the last few years. So I decided about 2 years ago to go looking for a new more modern watch. I went straight to TAG as my first experience was so great. I ended up buying a TAG Aquaracer. I love the simple look of this watch. That said within 3 months of me having it it stopped working. No problem I thought as I had bought the extended 3 year warranty. So I sent if off with the $70 service fee.

Within a week I got a letter saying my Warranty was voided because it was clear the watch had been physically abused and damaged through impacts.

WTF?? My watch was brand new, on my wrist all the time and never had a major impact that I could remember. i am no longer as active as I used to be and my mountain bike ride is about the most aggressive I do.

24owz09.jpg

The above is my watch now 2 years later and you can still see it is like new. What they were referring to the slight brushing you see on the squares between the 10 20 30 40 50 outside segments. Brushing I guess that happen when I reach in and out of my office desk and it brushed against the top of the drawer. I only had one brush mark back when I sent it in. Now there are more as you see. they told me it would be $1000 to fix for a watch I had only spent $1700 just 3 months prior. the stabilizing arms inside the watch had broken.

Of course I complained mightily about this to TAG and they tried to deflect as they instructed me that all warranty work was now done by a third party.

This is a huge problem with some companies now as the Third Party warranty companies are actually incentivized to find ways to void the warranty. TAG has your warranty money in their insurance pool and they will pay it out if they have to but for every penny the Third Party warranty company can save them TAG shares with them that upside.

So I went on to a TAG forum and other forums and found this is huge problem. So many people had posted exactly the same form letter I had received from TAG and i guess it is just a game they will play to see how many just cave and pay up extra.

From the TAG forum I learned not to give up my fight and to get the retailer involved. I emailed TAG and sent them links to all 'form letters' alleging different issues but always the same template reply. Everyone was to rough with their TAG, a watch that is supposed to be known to be tough.

Eventually between myself the retailer harassing them they took it back and fixed it free. But I also found out that the $1500-$2000 range no longer buys you the quality it used to and TAG like many is having many of the components of their "Swiss" watch manufactured in China and shipped, something that was not the case when I bought my first TAG. There are some good quality watches in that range (Omega has some) but you really need to research watch forums first or you can get screwed. Now to get the same quality as my $1300 watch 25 years ago you need to spend in that $5k range.

Don't do it TS. Mine has worked fine since the warranty work was done but I will never buy another TAG which makes me sad.

Here is a reputable review site forum showing you the Tag ratings. Not good.
While it is unfortunate you had to endure that hassle, it is hardly unique to Tag Heuer nor to the watch industry alone. Good customer service is becoming more and more rare unless you are prized ($$$) customer.

Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Offshore-Grand-Complication-Marcus-Watches-aBlogtoWatch-10-3.jpg

Or if you have $700k kicking around this.
they're far out of my price range to even be commenting on, but a pawn broker who deals in watches told me AP's are for gaudy nouveu riche and their resale value sinks like a stone. He praised timeless beauties like Patek Philipe and Lange in favor of that. Hublot is probably the trashiest of all the expensive watches- essentially the Bugatti of watches.

I've seen used ones go for 150k+ so that price isn't shocking. How much do you expect a platinum watch decked out in fat diamonds to cost? Shit wont come cheap.

It's amazing to me that anyone would actually pay that for a fucking watch.

I’m a big fan of Breitlings as well, I’ve got a few of them.
But the OP was asking about Tag Heuer so I tried to keep it on topic for him. Breitlings are fantastic if you’re a bigger guy since some of the smaller watches made can look like a ladies watch on a big arm.

I recommend Breitling watch. A bit more personality and less commercial than Tag.

a4436010bb71pilotsteel.jpg

Exactly. I don’t have it like that, but I can’t hate on those that do. Smoke em if ya got em!

why? What should someone spend their 250k on instead? There are people who blow that in one night at the strip club.

I wish I could trade some of my fashion watches for a rolex. I have a lot of nice looking watches that aren't worth a lot. I still like them I guess. I have a $300 Armani watch that I wear the most; matches everything. I like movados, even though watch snobs get their panties in a bunch about them. I have a nice Hamilton, and fossils from my early 20s.

why? What should someone spend their 250k on instead? There are people who blow that in one night at the strip club.

I can only speak from my own perspective, but from that perspective, I can say that I'm sheepish about spending that amount on something like an automobile. The thought of spending it on a watch just seems foolish.

Back