Is a "Pride" Record Still Relevant?

HereticBD

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Seriously, who cares?

Pride was like a million years ago. I see this shit tonight, with Fedor being promoted as "The Pride Juggernaut", or whatever. What does that even mean in 2018?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but is promotion like that a commentary on how little MMA has actually evolved? We're still impressed by "Pride" accolades? Like, really?

Pride was the shit tho, so It doesn’t bother me

It’s always easy to tell when someone hasn’t been watching the sport very long.

Fedor was king, when heavyweight had the greatest crop of talent. Not only was he king, he was undefeated, which was something really unheard of during that time period, because very few fighters showed that type of consistency. The fact that many of his victims went on to have successful careers, shows the relevancy of his reign and isn’t something worthy of being dismissed.

Pride was the shit tho, so It doesn’t bother me

It doesn't "bother" me, I just think it's desperate. I don't get the worship. It's like promoting some QB from the AFL or XFL, like ten years after the fact.

Fedor was king, when heavyweight had the greatest crop of talent. Not only was he king, he was undefeated, which was something really unheard of during that time period, because very few fighters showed that type of consistency. The fact that many of his victims went on to have successful careers, shows the relevancy of his reign and isn’t something worthy of being dismissed.

Dude's about 1000 years old, in athletic terms. Would you hype up Pedro Martinez, or Ed Belfour the same way in their respective sports?

"Here comes the Former NHL goalie who stopped a billion shots in the Atlantic North Western Territory League, when he was 24!"

Who gives a shit? It just makes MMA look amateur.

He was the best ever. People who shit on him are mad they weren't watching at the time.

Dude's about 1000 years old, in athletic terms. Would you hype up Pedro Martinez, or Ed Belfour the same way in their respective sports?

"Here comes the Former NHL goalie who stopped a billion shots in the Atlantic North Western Territory League, when he was 24!"

Who gives a shit? It just makes MMA look amateur.
8d0.jpg

"Here comes the Former NHL goalie who stopped a billion shots in the Atlantic North Western Territory League!"

It just makes MMA look amateur.

There’s a big difference between an old fighter trying to remain relevant with an outdated record and dismissing his achievements as they never meant anything in the first place.

You were dismissing his accomplishments as if his Pride record never meant anything.

People are not watching him because of his current abilities, they’re watching him because he’s a legend.

There’s a big difference between an old fighter trying to remain relevant with an outdated record and dismissing his achievements as they never meant anything in the first place.

You were dismissing his accomplishments as if his Pride record never meant anything.

People are not watching him because of his current abilities, they’re watching him because he’s a legend.

You got me all wrong. I'm not saying his MMA accolades don't mean anything at all. I'm saying they're not relevant today.

Is Fedor a legend? Yes. Is his record in MMA relevant today? No. Well, maybe his losing record. It's embarrassing that the MMA world holds this guy up like he's elite right now. He's an old legend, and should be treated as such. Only in MMA do these old guys get dragged out, like they're still #1. It's pathetic for the sport. This guy is still relevant? Really?

When a fighter fails a drug test, all his career is questioned
When an organization fixes fights, encourages PEDs, all of the fights should be questioned

I'm in a weird position here ... I like, half-agree with you TS

I like, totally appreciate your post.

I like, legit appreciate it.

Seriously though, this is absurd. Some old dinosaur is still being treated like they've still got it. The sad thing is, is that if they've still "got it"...fucking decades after their prime, what does that say about MMA as a whole? It's pretty pathetic. What, are we gonna get hyped for Fedor 10 years from now too? Jesus...

Only difference is he dominated the top competition (pride) not the ruled by timmy and aa league (ufc) so worth the marketing.

Seriously, who cares?

Pride was like a million years ago. I see this shit tonight, with Fedor being promoted as "The Pride Juggernaut", or whatever. What does that even mean in 2018?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but is promotion like that a commentary on how little MMA has actually evolved? We're still impressed by "Pride" accolades? Like, really?
"Im not trying to be an asshole" ok King Joffrey. Nice try.

"Im not trying to be an asshole" ok King Joffrey. Nice try.

You're dismissing my opinion based on my avatar?

That's just pathetic. You're acting like some old dude who can't get over that this fight has hype, because they're old legends. You don't give a shit about talent.

"I recognize the names, so this is a good fight! Derr..."

Seriously, who cares?

yelo.png

I mean... what else are they gonna do? "This guy we want you to watch just got KO'd by a mid-level fighter and hasn't had a huge victory in years"?

you are missing the point that fighting is literally just a show, for entertainment. So any ability to draw a crowd is winning, so absolutely an old record is relevant, if it puts butts in seats.

Back