Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

I agree man absolutely. Oldest I would try going Pro these days with little to no training or base is early 20’s even then its alot to try and catch up on.
especially at the lower weight classes. HWs can win a lot of fights just on being able to hit hard and take a punch.

Training yeah, competing as a pro? highly doubt it.

Man, in your 40s it should be about overpriced booze and cigars on a Saturday night, not collecting a purse for participation.

Serious question guys,

I'm 40. I've smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for the last 20 or so years. Don't do cardio. I do have extremely powerful quad and calf muscles. And my balance is pretty good.

Do you guys think if I started practicing now I could become a professional skateboarder?

Well 40 might be a bit young but I think Bellator might have a roster spot for you :p

For the best guys, yes. But for the majority of the roster? They are still not making enough money to fully support themselves off mma. And you have to cut massive amounts of weight now to be competitive. The UFC virtually monopolized mma so there’s really no where else to go if you’re a high level fighter. And you can’t get fight week sponsorships anymore because of the Reebok deal.

yes, like most sports, unless you are at the top, it's a tough slog. the issue is whether just being on prelims in the ufc is making it to the top. it's really not. so yeah, being a professional fighter is a tough road, and you're not going to thrive financially until you're in the upper ranks of the org.

The money NFL players get makes working with any asshole boss well worth it, so no. But putting up with Dana to make 20k to show 20k to win? A 40 year old man needs to ask themself why they would even think that’s worth it. There’s some self evaluation needed there for his life.

my point is that it would be laughable to ask if it was worth trying to make the nfl for someone with no training at 40.

and most fighters on the roster are barely "dealing" with dana.

Go fight an amateur fight. Get your poop pushed in, go back to your normal life.

If you are HW?? then yes.. you could enter UFC right now and probably beat many of the part time fighters in it

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

Sure you can, just probably not make a living as a Pro Fighter, though. You'll fight Amateur MMA for free + trophy, like 5-10 fights. Then if you go Pro, you'll get paid $0-1,000 per your first few fights, but usually would have to sell tickets and must make a certain quota for that money. For local Title fights, you may get a few thousand dollars, but still have to sell tickets.

It'll usually cost more money to fight and you'll wreck your body + brain in the short & long rung, especially at your age. You'll be losing money. But if you enjoy it, then it's worth it. It'll still be a lot easier to get farther in MMA than in Boxing though.

Serious question guys,

I'm 40. I've smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for the last 20 or so years. Don't do cardio. I do have extremely powerful quad and calf muscles. And my balance is pretty good.

Do you guys think if I started practicing now I could become a professional skateboarder?

Yes, because "you look like a 50 year old, retired skateboarder...".

Lol at people suggesting BJJ FOR 40 years old dude. You want his lumbar to stockpile herniated disks?

my point is that it would be laughable to ask if it was worth trying to make the nfl for someone with no training at 40.

Yeah but that’s just because he said “mma” in general and didn’t necessarily specify “UFC” so it left room for discussion. If he would’ve just said UFC the answers would’ve been fuck no.

John Johnston started competing professionally at 40 and had decent success. He ended up retiring because the UFC told him he was too old for a shot, and he was a heavyweight.

If your winning 75-79% of all the macho head games at your weightlifting gym then..yes.

If you believe in the Just Bleed God and have diagnosable bomb hands with an uncracked granite chin, age is just a number. Pre-juice before you go big time then stealth cruise your way to the gold.

"40 is the new 20 of the 30 something crowd."
- Florian quoting Couture

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?
You can train and fight at any age, but you'll most likely only compete at a regional level. Local shows, LFA under card at best. But don't let that stop you. I train at fight in my 30's. More of a hobby for me, but if you go all out, you could go pro, just don't expect to get into the UFC or get a sustainable pay cheque.

Lol at people suggesting BJJ FOR 40 years old dude. You want his lumbar to stockpile herniated disks?

I've seen 50 year old overweight guys in BJJ classes having fun and getting a good workout

maybe the gym is not as badass as yours

Since you dont have much wear and tear then I say go for it. Plus your old man strength will be too much for guys half your age. Do it

:)

You can if you’re also somehow a sorcerer who can steal the souls of younger fighters.

Back