Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

With no prior martial arts / sport fighting experience, there is almost zero possibility of becoming a professional by starting training after 30 (it would be an amazing feat), regardless of having exceptional physical gifts. After 40 even less...

Therefore if you are ok with enjoying the learning journey, getting in great shape from the training, facing the occasional possible injury and participating in low level amateur tournaments (I suggest the ones using protective equipment and perhaps even not full contact) then ... why not! Work hard and have fun!

If on the other hand you are thinking about professional opportunities or reaching UFC levels ... you are completely delusional IMO.

PS: Herschel Walker is an absolute athletic freak (at 18 he was running the 100m in 10.2s), as well as a life long top athlete in several fields including contact sports (NFL), a TKD black belt ... and a celebrity, which helped tremendously his MMA "career" by allowing him to skip the amateur and semi-pro steps, similarly to CM Punk.

Last edited:
Better to get into today’s mma than yesterday’s mma.

For the best guys, yes. But for the majority of the roster? They are still not making enough money to fully support themselves off mma. And you have to cut massive amounts of weight now to be competitive. The UFC virtually monopolized mma so there’s really no where else to go if you’re a high level fighter. And you can’t get fight week sponsorships anymore because of the Reebok deal.

But imagine a 40 year old asking if they should get into basketball. Or football. Would you be advising them on whether they would want to work for Mark Cuban or jerry Jones? Giving a serious answer?

The money NFL players get makes working with any asshole boss well worth it, so no. But putting up with Dana to make 20k to show 20k to win? A 40 year old man needs to ask themself why they would even think that’s worth it. There’s some self evaluation needed there for his life.

You’re a scum bag. Encouraging cheating to have an advantage over regular people who wouldn’t be cheating. Actually so pathetic. People who liked your comment are pathetic losers too
That's a bit uncessary to make such a character assasination on me just because I'm trying to help an older man fullfill his dreams. He's 40. He's at enough of a disadvtange as it is.

That's a bit uncessary to make such a character assasination on me just because I'm trying to help an older man fullfill his dreams. He's 40. He's at enough of a disadvtange as it is.
Yeah but being on roids is cheating. And you think that’s ok. How would you feel being a clean fighter having to fight a guy roided to the tits? It’s cheating

Don’t know how you would be proud of yourself winning a fight whilst being on gear. Very pathetic

Fuck youre scarring me. I'm 10 years younger, young enough to be in my physical prime but old enough that I know the next 10 years will fly by like nothing. At 39 you dont think you can compete?

I'm sure you can, if you've built up you career up to that point. I've chosen another proffession a long time ago, but will be training till I can breathe. If you can make enough money fighting, so that you can live comfortably and take care of your body and damage you'll take by the time you're 40, go for it. But there isn't a lot of guys that achieve that.

Go and train. Self-Improvement is always a good thing. But competing at a high level. Meh doubt it..

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

It varies from person to person.

I don't think it is an issue, but you gotta be realistic here.
If you start now, you won't make it a career.
By the time you get everything at a level you can compete, your athleticism and strength will not last forever.

I would start and see where it takes you, how far and how fast it takes you, then decide.

But personally, I stopped training MMA when I was 42, and mainly because I started noticing that my body wouldn't heal as before, and the injuries would be more and more severe...

Serious question guys. I've been pretty active in sports since I was very young and I currently get to the gym doing basic weight training a few times a week. My cardio isn't that great mainly cause I don't like running on the hamster-mill, but I'm sure I can built it up with some hard work.

I'm about 5-11 and 180lbs of fast twitch fiber muscle. I think I have good bio-mechanics in general and I can throw fundamental punches and kicks.

If I really wanted to CM Punk it and go for it (and I am way more athletic then that fool), is it realistic that I can compete as an amateur or pro at some point? What's a realistic time to train and get into the cage? I don't have any belt rating or prior martial arts experience. My only advantages are my athleticism and strength. Since I'm 180lb with no diet, I would probably fight at 170lb.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone on this journey post 40 and if you can share your experience?

More like 5'3 320 of fat and slow twitch flab.

Fastest 10 yard sprint is from couch to door when pizza man comes. 15 seconds flat

And you think you’d be fighting at 170? Haha. Nope, you’re a 155er in today’s pro mma game.

This is same shit CM Punk was initially saying when he signed with the UFC and didn't know what the fuck he was doing. He was like "Maybe I'll fight at 185lbs". That immediately told me how little he knew because he's not even a big 170lb fighter.

Depends... do you have kids? If you do its kinda weird to start now but otherwise I'd say go for it man.

I don't know what you worth ethic is like but if you are dedicated anything is possible. Though the likelihood of having a successful pro mma career after starting mma training at the age 40 is pretty low imo

it's not too late to train. But I wouldn't count on making a living at it.

Edit: if your question is: is it too late for me to start training MMA and fight some amateur fights and maybe some low level pro MMA fights because I think that would be fun. Then the answer is no it's not if you are willing to put in the work.

Last edited:
your butthole is so fast twitch it makes a clicking sound when cutting fiber shits. like a metallic heart valve but over 9000

Absolutely yes to Amatuer and no to Pro.

Anyone saying no to Amatuer has no clue about the low ass level of “fighters” who compete.

First step go to a gym do MMA training 3 times a week and do focused Wrestling and Jits classes 2wice a week.

If you are serious about trying your best invest in a striking coach to drill you in the fundamentals.

Then see where it goes.

Jesus Sherbro’s are cunts. I am 40 next year and some sort of shape and I would whoop the ever-living shit out of 80% of these limped dicked kids on here.

The Ufc etc for sure young man/Yoel Roidmero’s game no doubt.

But Amatuer circut jesus h christ.

Absolutely yes to Amatuer and no to Pro.

Anyone saying no to Amatuer has no clue about the low ass level of “fighters” who compete.

First step go to a gym do MMA training 3 times a week and do focused Wrestling and Jits classes 2wice a week.

If you are serious about trying your best invest in a striking coach to drill you in the fundamentals.

Then see where it goes.

Jesus Sherbro’s are cunts. I am 40 next year and some sort of shape and I would whoop the ever-living shit out of 80% of these limped dicked kids on here.

The Ufc etc for sure young man/Yoel Roidmero’s game no doubt.

But Amatuer circut jesus h christ.
regional pros wouldn't be out of the question either. But Pro as far as making a real living at it would be insanely unlikely.

regional pros wouldn't be out of the question either. But Pro as far as making a real living at it would be insanely unlikely.

I agree man absolutely. Oldest I would try going Pro these days with little to no training or base is early 20’s even then its alot to try and catch up on.

Yes!!!! Lol unless you have an elite bjj or wrestling background and have been at least in the gym training others. I'm saying NCAA all American or bjj black belt competition type. Also youd have to know people and fight 4 or 5 fights a yr.

I'm in that boat myself. 32 yrs old and took 3.5 years off. 3 stripe bjj blue belt with boxing experience and I'm behind the curve. I know this!!!!

Back