Is 40 too old to start training and competing in MMA?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Sherwolf, Aug 5, 2018.

1. cabal

cabal Brown Belt

Do karate and judo 4 times a week. Struggle with non collaborative opponents and have fun.

2. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Brown Belt

Fuck it man just do it and have fun. Have no illusions about how far you;ll get - unless you are a natural killer - you'll prob just have some smoker / amateur mma matches. Enough to have fun and have a taste.

3. thewhiterooster

thewhiterooster dana hates sunscreen

I don’t know many brown belt “pussies”. Internet tough guys? You’re a dime a dozen. Jumping in a cage fight over the age of 40 without any prior training? Some bright people you’re surrounded with. Enjoy that.

MaxMMA likes this.
  4. Swarthy

Swarthy Black belt hips

Rofl doubt he has a brown belt. Rofl everyone starts somewhere age is just a number when it comes to training and even fighting its all about the mental game. Of course he can’t compete at a high level but there are comps to cater for amatuers.

CM punk had no place in the UFC but he would have been fine fighting in the regional scene.

5. Ibm

Ibm Brown Belt

Its never too late, its all about results.

6. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

You can certainly bring training. Competing at an amateur level is a good goal. Depending on how hard you commit and how quickly you learn it’ll probably take a couple of years.

7. Rygu

Rygu Brown Belt

You could start training at 50 if you wanted to and could have solid results, just don't expect to really go anywhere competitively.

8. Killashaw

Killashaw It's all mental warfare

180 lb but you could possibly cut down to 155 with a good weight cut.

I just want to tell you that it's going to take a couple years before you get good enough to hang in there with most, simply because most have trained ther entire lives.
    It's not too late but it's certainly late. I don't know you and don't know how talented/capable/hardworking you are, but at 40 years old it's gonna be pretty difficult to achieve something meaningful. But by all means start training, if you work hard enough five years from now you could make it to pro level.

My opinion is just go and train, if you want to fight then fight, but if MMA doesn't work out you could always get into jiu jitsu. If you're consistent and work hard enough, you could be a black belt before you hit 50.

What I would do is take muay thai and bjj.
    Do this for several years, just training muay thai and competing in BJJ. When you start to feel ready and when you feel like you're getting the better of your training partners in muay thai and tapping a decent number of people in jits then go for it.

9. Jack Handy jr

Jack Handy jr horse style and ceez are my bitches

[​IMG]

just for the love of god film it and post it here

FinalConflict2005 likes this.
  10. John whittaker

John whittaker White Belt

40 is not the end of the world .Just get the training and try it there may be some level you can compete at. Sparring will help you make up your mind what u can do and want to do . Im 61 just started taking mauy Thai / mma classes . Usually get my arse handed to me in sparring I occasionally get one in. I was never in any sports and not athletic

11. John whittaker

John whittaker White Belt

Get out there and try it. You will find out soon enough what u can and cannot do. I hate getting punched in the face but the body kicks are deadly. Don’t quit your day job just yet

12. SHAOLINMONK420

SHAOLINMONK420 White Belt

Do it if u want dont be a pussy who gives a shit what ppl thimk

13. Noodles03

Noodles03 Blue Belt

No and make sure to have fun.

14. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

depend son the weight division i think at 205and above yes but you are 180 walking around without dieting so that means ud be a 155er more than likely so id not try to go pro nowadays 6 years ago sure but today everyone has skills no bum pros anymore really every single pro at least has a blue belt today minimum

15. Demogoblin

Demogoblin Black Belt

mid -tier would be out there too .. 12 years ago i would say mid tier would be possible these days mid tier is almost impossible
    the sport is growing faster than a male grizlly bear's growth plate in a year
    its late at night and i am tired and i dont want to be disrespectful to you just follow your heart .. God has a plan for all of us