Is 40% of macros from healthy fats ok?

Tkd10

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Lately i've taken a liking to more fats like avocado, seeds and nuts, fish, coconut oil etc. and it adds up to anywhere from 90-110 ish grams.

I just enjoy it more and feel that fatty foods have more nutritious benefits to offer compared to grains. What are the long term implications of this?

I'm honestly tired of brown rice, oatmeal, etc. aside from fibre, a bit of iron and protein, they're kind of fillers and don't have much to offer.

For carbs i've been doing more potatoes, fruits, occasionally pasta and Kidney beans but keeping grains to a minimum in general unless my training intensity gets very high then i bump up the carbs.

is a moderate carb but higher fat diet with a moderate amount of protein reasonable? any experiences with this? like a 40f/25p/35c

Lately i've taken a liking to more fats like avocado, seeds and nuts, fish, coconut oil etc. and it adds up to anywhere from 90-110 ish grams.

I just enjoy it more and feel that fatty foods have more nutritious benefits to offer compared to grains. What are the long term implications of this?

I'm honestly tired of brown rice, oatmeal, etc. aside from fibre, a bit of iron and protein, they're kind of fillers and don't have much to offer.

For carbs i've been doing more potatoes, fruits, occasionally pasta and Kidney beans but keeping grains to a minimum in general unless my training intensity gets very high then i bump up the carbs.

is a moderate carb but higher fat diet with a moderate amount of protein reasonable? any experiences with this? like a 40f/25p/35c
As long as you're within your proper caloric intake based on your goals (cut, bulk, or maintain) it should be fine. Usually keeping protein to 1g/bodyweight is good, and fill the rest up how you want. If you're the type that can function on higher fats than carbs, more power to you.

Myself, I need high carbs to perform, higher fats doesn't sit well with me, and for some reason takes quite a bit of time to digest. So I usually have moderate amount of fats in my diet.

As long as you're within your proper caloric intake based on your goals (cut, bulk, or maintain) it should be fine. Usually keeping protein to 1g/bodyweight is good, and fill the rest up how you want. If you're the type that can function on higher fats than carbs, more power to you.

Myself, I need high carbs to perform, higher fats doesn't sit well with me, and for some reason takes quite a bit of time to digest. So I usually have moderate amount of fats in my diet.
Ok thanks, yeah i keep my macros within my total caloric intake.

Bottom line is nobody really knows. But that aside: whole grains have a lot of evidence that they are healthy and not just from the fibre which is very valuable in itself - beta glucans in oatmeal actively improve your blood cholesterol profiles which can be very important especially as you get older. Potatoes are great. Beans are very good too. Pasta is grains.

In terms of whole diets being measured over long periods, the diets described as the Mediterranean and the DASH diet have been studied pretty well and they promote good health outcomes and they are very similar: a decent balance of whole grains, beans/pulses, root carbs like potatoes, tons of fresh veg and fruit, less meat than the average American eats with a focus on fish and poultry, regular nut intake and fats from vegetable sources (like avocado), less added salt and sugar (which naturally reduces processed food to a bare minimum) and some dairy. This is one eating strategy that is proven to be healthier than the standard diet. However it isn't the only one, it's just one that has been studied properly.

Recent times have very much pushed the low carb message home but I think that tide is turning. Funnily enough my wife did the Potato Diet this week - just eating potatoes and almost nothing else other than some flavouring/ketchup. She ate as many as she liked include fried rostis. And he's lost several pounds. Obviously not a sensible long term diet but what does it say about the "carbs make you fat" shit given she's eaten nothing but carbs?

In terms of the amount of protein. The 1g a day thing is very much a sports recovery and muscle building thing and has very little evidence for long term health. In fact it's thought it may well turn out to be a bad thing for bone and kidney health plus it tends to lead to a focus on animal products that might not be do good for you. You defintely do not need to eat that amount of protein for health. What works as a bodybuilding strategy does not necessarily work as a lifetime diet plan.

There is no need to avoid whole grains. There is good evidence to include them. But overall your diet sounds healthy to me.

Back