Invicta FC 7: Honchak vs. Smith DISCUSSION (NOW FREE!) www.invictafc.com

Fun fact: this is Leslie's 4th FOTN out of 7 Invicta events, with many more to come.

That's the female counterpart to Chris Lytle right there ladies and gents. With her on the card, the others might as well just focus on getting SOTN instead.

Alright, I concede Honchak vs Smith should get FOTN, based on the back and forth action. But, Torres vs Herrig was the most exciting fight to go the distance.

Amen! I loved watching that fight! I`m now a Tecia fan! She is a tiny tornado of fists and kicks. And, I think the trajectory of her career is something to really look out for. She debuted around the same time as three other great amateur prospects: Namajunas, Rain, and Paige. She beats those three rivals 1,2,3...then steps up in competition to fight and established veteran fighter and CRUSHES her. How far will she keep going from here.? She`s proved she can handle more experienced fighters, so I want to see her fight another top 10 fighter next. If she keeps winning, she should be only 2-3 fights from a title shot, IMO.

On a side note, about Carla stepping in the ring to call her out thing: I think it was as much Tecia saying she trains with THE NUMBER ONE FIGHTER AT 115 (meaning Jag) as much as laying a beat down on Felice. Carla was obviously upset at watching Felice eat so much fist...then you tack on the "total domination" comment by Tecia and then the implied insult of [Carla is the champ, but she`s not really the best fighter at 115. Jag is.]...and I think that`s what pissed off Carla enough to actually walk into the ring. BTW, Carla was carrying the belt like Triple H. :icon_lol:

Jarl

Amen! I loved watching that fight! I`m now a Tecia fan! She is a tiny tornado of fists and kicks. And, I think the trajectory of her career is something to really look out for. She debuted around the same time as three other great amateur prospects: Namajunas, Rain, and Paige. She beats those three rivals 1,2,3...then steps up in competition to fight and established veteran fighter and CRUSHES her. How far will she keep going from here.? She`s proved she can handle more experienced fighters, so I want to see her fight another top 10 fighter next. If she keeps winning, she should be only 2-3 fights from a title shot, IMO.
Since Calderwood and Kankaanpaa just fought I would suggest this:

Carla Esparza vs Claudia Gadelha
Tecia Torres vs Katja Kankaanpaa
Joanne Calderwood vs Mizuki Inoue

... and if Invicta won't sign Gadelha to another title fight at 115, that will mix things up.

On a side note, about Carla stepping in the ring to call her out thing: I think it was as much Tecia saying she trains with THE NUMBER ONE FIGHTER AT 115 (meaning Jag) as much as laying a beat down on Felice. Carla was obviously upset at watching Felice eat so much fist...then you tack on the "total domination" comment by Tecia and then the implied insult of [Carla is the champ, but she`s not really the best fighter at 115. Jag is.]...and I think that`s what pissed off Carla enough to actually walk into the ring. BTW, Carla was carrying the belt like Triple H. :icon_lol:

Jarl

I think that Carla was going into the ring to make an appearance for the crowd, since the fight got scrapped. But when she got in there, she said things she should not have. The Champs job is to fight whatever contendors the promotion puts in front of them, not call out fights. Joanne said it well, "It's not up to Carla who she fights...."

I think that Carla was going into the ring to make an appearance for the crowd, since the fight got scrapped. But when she got in there, she said things she should not have. The Champs job is to fight whatever contendors the promotion puts in front of them, not call out fights. Joanne said it well, "It's not up to Carla who she fights...."

It's also a fighter's job to generate excitement and interest even when they're not fighting. The only reason this has become a "big deal" (that's really not) is because of rabid JoJo fanboys getting but hurt. Interesting fact: Torres has the same number of wins over top ten opponents as JoJo.

I don't think she meant NEXT, but rather down the line. She has been working on her TD's and ground game alot.

Yeah, Budd was backed into a corner when asked a question on mike about Cyborg, so she has to say some form of yes and to me it was like "yeah, in the future I want to fight her" which sounded like she won't duck it, but it wasn't - "yeah, let's do it for my next Invicta FC fight".

Since Calderwood and Kankaanpaa just fought I would suggest this:

Carla Esparza vs Claudia Gadelha
Tecia Torres vs Katja Kankaanpaa
Joanne Calderwood vs Mizuki Inoue

... and if Invicta won't sign Gadelha to another title fight at 115, that will mix things up.

if the title fight remain the same I suggest
tecia vs jojo this fight will be good for sure and those who thought she didn't look good(lack of understanding stylistically) will most likely get what they want.

tecia coming off a "big win" traditionally they would never make tecia vs katja.
Mizuki is busy with her tourney she can face anyone that fairly named and that gets a win.

It's also a fighter's job to generate excitement and interest even when they're not fighting. The only reason this has become a "big deal" (that's really not) is because of rabid JoJo fanboys getting but hurt. Interesting fact: Torres has the same number of wins over top ten opponents as JoJo.

not but hurt here didn't read any of the complaints either. But honestly speaking Jojo clearly deserves it more technically for two main reasons.
1. 8-0 vs 4-0
2. jojo faced two good wrestlers center and katja so she is most prepared/ready for Carla stylistically where as Tecia from what I have seen is very well rounded haven't faced a wrestler yet.

I don't think you should go around comparing records as to who deserves a shot more, because realistically we don't really know where everybody stacks up until they all fight each other.

It's like calling Kankaanpaa one of the best wrestlers in the division when she looks like she really doesn't have the physical tools to actually execute her game against quality athletes. There were several moments where she was fairly deep on some takedowns and had to bail because she wasn't strong enough to impose her will. It was like watching Charlie Brenneman fighting Anthony Johnson (small exaggeration here but you get my drift).

Jarl

Agreed.
Tiny Tornado is the perfect nickname, she doesn't seem to pack a lot of power behind the shots but man...she throws everything and she is so fast! She also looked really strong fighting for position with her back on the cage.

Yep.

Last edited:
what a nonsense this is all turning out to be....Invicta will decide....i can believe the nonsense....she's fought her....and her opponent wasnt that good..blah,blah.blah....Carla won the belt fighting Bec Hyatt FFS,so lets not talk about anyones opponent not being of a descent standard.

I can see the Tecia vs. Jojo/Tecia vs. Carla/Jojo vs. Carla thing heating up a bit. As I said, earlier, "Things are in chaos" in that division. I guess I`m thinking Gadelha has had two chances to fight for the 115 title and didn`t/couldn`t. Maybe it`s time for her to admit that the 115 weight cut is too much. She can have the same opportunity at 125 (title shot) since Barb is all out of challengers now. Carla needs a fight, like now. She hasn`t fought in a year. Neither Tecia nor Jojo looked worse for wear after their fights...so I say schedule Carla against one of them in 4 months.

Jarl

Watching now, amazing performance by Tecia. JoJo looked good too and although JoJo has the longer win streak going, Tecia has fought the better competition in her 4 pro fights than JoJo has in her pro record.

Don't get me wrong, I love both girls and I'm cool with either one of them fighting Carla for the title as they're both worthy of a title shot.

Going by Carla storming into the cage and calling Tecia out, I think Tecia's going to get the title shot first and then JoJo faces the winner.

I hope Invicta doesn't decide to make Tecia vs. JoJo though since they're both 2 of my favorite fighters and it would suck having to watch them fight.

Watching now, amazing performance by Tecia. JoJo looked good too and although JoJo has the longer win streak going, Tecia has fought the better competition in her 4 pro fights than JoJo has in her pro record.

Tecia's opponents combined record (at time she fought them) 14-4

Jojo's opponents combined record (at time she fought them) 30-7

Also, the quality doesn't look great, (it might still being processed by youtube) but an hour ago the entire event went up on Invicta's youtube page

That doesn't say much.

Julio Cesar Neves is 28-0.

Jose Aldo is 23-1.

Except Torres and Calderwood have both fought multiple opponents in the same org, so those opponents and their records are more comparable than Neves and Aldo

what a nonsense this is all turning out to be....Invicta will decide....i can believe the nonsense....she's fought her....and her opponent wasnt that good..blah,blah.blah....Carla won the belt fighting Bec Hyatt FFS,so lets not talk about anyones opponent not being of a descent standard.

She beat Hyatt via complete wrestleflap too, it was horrible boring smothering blanket style fighting. The 10 seconds Hyatt was on her feet she smashed Esparza face in. Basically became the champ via default, now struts around like a peacock thinking she is the ****.

There is no comparison, Calderwood in another league above Torres and should be getting the title shot.

Back