Invicta FC 22: Evinger vs Kunitskaya 2, PBP Discussion 8:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM PT

Less than 1 month away and only 6 announced fights, still no flyweights. The last card originally had a lack of flyweights as well.
According to a post on their Instagram account yesterday they'll be announcing more fights this week.

Hamasaki vs Souza is the most interesting fight.
I really have high hopes for Hamasaki, consider that she only lost to Gadelha.
Nice to see Sunna back also. Hope she wins and that Yana taps Evinger again.

Less than 1 month away and only 6 announced fights, still no flyweights. The last card originally had a lack of flyweights as well.

Do you think the fact that UFC has no WFLW division influences Invicta's lack of fights at 125? Always plenty of action at 115 and 135. In the past, Knapp seemed to ensure that ALL female fighters are well supported. Do you think there is any influence or pressure to focus on SW, BW, and now FW?

Do you think the fact that UFC has no WFLW division influences Invicta's lack of fights at 125? Always plenty of action at 115 and 135. In the past, Knapp seemed to ensure that ALL female fighters are well supported. Do you think there is any influence or pressure to focus on SW, BW, and now FW?

Oh course, Hamasaki vs. Souza is all about being listed as top prospect to get into UFC, Hamasaki has said she wants UFC to sign her and Souza has been top of most prospects list for UFC strawweights. If UFC had a Fly weight division would we see fighters like Bennet who mostly fight Fly starve to fight at Straw?

Sad part cutting weight, fighters like De Randamie get to be stars when they are fighting in more their natural weight class.

It may be that good fighters are abandoning flyweight with hopes of getting into the UFC. Aspen Ladd recently moved up to bantamweight and she's been lobbying hard to get a UFC contract.

Aspen Ladd (5-0)
aspen-ladd-invicta-fc-21.jpg

Facking hell. Perhaps Trump will sign an executive order to get a 125 division going. Maybe all it will take is showing a couple photos of Letourneau or Bennet weighing in at 115. Shizz ruff.

BennettMandelSherdog3.jpg

valerie-letourneau-ufc-fight-night-741.jpg

It may be that good fighters are abandoning flyweight with hopes of getting into the UFC. Aspen Ladd recently moved up to bantamweight and she's been lobbying hard to get a UFC contract.

Aspen Ladd (5-0)
aspen-ladd-invicta-fc-21.jpg
Ladd moving up was due to weight issues, though.

Ladd moving up was due to weight issues, though.

You're right. I was mistakenly thinking about it as if Ladd has moved up two divisions during her career, but she hasn't. Perhaps my thinking got thrown off by the fact that one of her early opponents, Amanda Bobby Cooper, is now fighting at strawweight, and by Ladd's height being the same as that of strawweight champ Joanna.

Last edited:
You're right. I was mistakenly thinking about it as if Ladd has moved up two divisions during her career, but she hasn't. Perhaps my thinking got thrown off by the fact that one of her early opponents, Amanda Bobby Cooper, is now fighting at strawweight, and by Ladd's height being the same as that of strawweight champ Joanna.

Ladd is awfully young. For some of the younger female fighters, I wonder if they are still growing/changing while working to make/cut weight. Seems like it would make it a pretty tricky game *picturing Dern needing help getting on the scale.*

From what I understand, a lot of women naturally retain water at certain times. Trying to cut must be brutal for them.

According to a post on their Instagram account yesterday they'll be announcing more fights this week.

LOL, you know WMMA fans these days are damn spoiled when the first thing they do when an event is announced is to complain about things that could be added to the card soon, in oppose to discuss the actual fights already confirmed on the card :D

LOL, you know WMMA fans these days are damn spoiled when the first thing they do when an event is announced is to complain about things that could be added to the card soon, in oppose to discuss the actual fights already confirmed on the card :D

Yeah, but I remember there were more fights on Invicta cards in the past. WMMA needs development, less fights doesn't do that. (Yes, I'm being whiny)

Invicta FC 22
Scottish Rite Temple
Kansas City, MO

Bantamweight title: (C)Tonya Evinger (18-5, 1NC) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (9-2, 1 NC)
Strawweight: Ayaka Hamasaki (14-1) vs. Livia Renata Souza (9-1)
Strawweight: DeAnna Bennett (8-2) vs. Jodie Esquibel (5-2)
Atomweight: Jinh Yu Frey (5-2) vs. Janaisa Morandin (9-0)
Strawweight: Sunna Rannveig Davidsdottir (1-0) vs. Mallory Martin (1-0)
Strawweight: Kal Holliday (1-0) vs. Miranda Maverick (1-0)​

Thanks! First thoughts: Sad to see excellent Atomweights like Esquibel and Hamasaki competing at 115 out of desperation.

Also, Yana is now training at Jackson's, which has quietly built up a massive stable of female fighters.

Can't wait for any invicta card. The women always bring exciting events. One of the main reasons I got fightpass. My 3 y/o daughter and I watch the old events together.

Invicta 3, 5 and 8 are the best. Skip Invicta 10, as the main event was cancelled and never happened.

Invicta does not seem responsive to Cindy's desire for a fight.

Cindy has a fight set up with Alexis Davis in the UFC.

Sad to see excellent Atomweights like Esquibel and Hamasaki competing at 115 out of desperation.

Also, Yana is now training at Jackson's, which has quietly built up a massive stable of female fighters.

Are you sure Esquibel moved up out of desperation? I would've guessed it has more to do with her natural fighting weight. 105 is VERY light. It's a tough weight for all but the smallest women to make. Sure, some CAN make it. Not so sure it's always ideal.

Esquibel got screwed at TUF selection, and I'm not sure what her chances are of making it into the UFC. I'd be surprised if she were moving up in hopes of getting signed.

I sure hope Yana's new training environment will help her get that belt back. I would get up and do a little jig if she wins by armbar again. I imagine UFC would want her before long (if they try to keep 145 going.)

Are you sure Esquibel moved up out of desperation? I would've guessed it has more to do with her natural fighting weight. 105 is VERY light. It's a tough weight for all but the smallest women to make. Sure, some CAN make it. Not so sure it's always ideal.

Esquibel got screwed at TUF selection, and I'm not sure what her chances are of making it into the UFC. I'd be surprised if she were moving up in hopes of getting signed.

I sure hope Yana's new training environment will help her get that belt back. I would get up and do a little jig if she wins by armbar again. I imagine UFC would want her before long (if they try to keep 145 going.)

Yana sparring with Holm:

2 additional fights to complete the card

Atomweight: Amber Brown (6-3) vs. Ashley Cummins (4-3)
Featherweight: Felicia Spencer (1-0) vs. Madison McElhaney (1-0)

2 additional fights to complete the card

Atomweight: Amber Brown (6-3) vs. Ashley Cummins (4-3)
Featherweight: Felicia Spencer (1-0) vs. Madison McElhaney (1-0)
Sauce?

Interesting that Amber Brown dropped back to Atomweight after losing to Yoder. Just to make 105, she is underweight by about 6 lbs at 5'4" tall (111 is the lowest).

Back