Intro to Head Movement in MMA

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Head movement is a somewhat controversial topic in MMA. You’re equally likely to hear criticism of a fighter for failing to move their head as you are to hear the idea of head movement be dismissed because of threats like head kicks, knees and takedowns. Some argue that it’s too risky, other’s that it’s a vital skill. While it is true that excessive head movement carries extra risk in MMA compared to a sport like boxing, there are many benefits to be gained from its proper application. In today’s article, we’re going to examine the distinct types of head movement and the correct mechanics behind them. In the future, we’re going to use this background information to discuss their application in MMA, the risks, and how to mitigate those risks.

Before getting into the types of head movement, it’s important to understand some fundamental positioning guidelines. No matter how much a fighter’s head is moving, he should always be maintaining balance and line of sight with the opponent. The fighter should maintain good posture and keep his head inside his stance. In order to do this, he will need to make proper use of his lower body—specifically his hips. Head movement is actually trunk movement, and trunk movement originates in the hips. Strong, mobile hips are the foundation of good head movement. When the hips are weak and stiff or inflexible, you’ll see fighters compensate by bending their backs instead, which results in them looking at the floor and leaving big openings. Proper head movement involves using small, controlled and balanced movements at the hips to evade strikes while keeping the eyes on the opponent and the stance intact. A final note—while head movement is generally considered defensive, the end goal should always be to establish better positions to attack from.

With an understanding of the general principles behind head movement, it’s time to delve into the specifics.

SLIPS:

Slips are side to side movements of the head caused by shifting weight from foot to foot, rotating the torso and bending slightly at the hips. Slips are generally used to evade straight punches, and can be performed to the inside or outside.

Here, we see perhaps the sexiest counter punch ever thrown. Jersey Joe saunters towards his opponent, tempting him to make a move. As soon as Charles attacks, Joe flexes at his lead hip while bringing his right shoulder towards his left knee. The jab of Charles “slips” over Joe’s right shoulder (hence the name) but even more significant than the evasion, observe the position Joe moves into. His weight is shifted onto his lead leg with his lead shoulder and arm pulled back and his elevation lowered for leverage. His posture is strong with his back straight and eyes directly on the opponent. He’s at the right range and the left side of his body is coiled like a spring. From that excellent offensive position, Jersey Joe destroys Charles with a picture-perfect shovel hook off the inside slip.

Another one of my favorite counter punches, Joe Louis murders Al Ettore with a right hand from hell. Louis comes forward and paws with his lead hand, serving to both measure distance and put a little pressure on Ettore—who responds by shooting out a jab. Louis flexes at his rear hip, dipping down slightly to that side while taking a simultaneous step with his lead foot. Again, take note of the perfect distance and position he ends up in. His right side is loaded like a cannon and because his head has only moved the exact amount it needed to, that cannon is ready to fire. Ettore eats a bomb of a right hand, thrown with perfect weight transfer, rotation, leverage and follow through. In response, he performs a sweet 180 faceplant.

While these examples show both inside and outside slips, both are delayed counters. One of the important benefits of slipping is that unlike other types of head movement, the movement is nearly identical to throwing a punch. As a result, it is also possible to use slips to throw simultaneous counters.

Marquez times Pacquiao’s double jab, slipping outside his lead arm while throwing his right hand at the same time. The weight shift that moves his head during the slip also powers his punch, allowing Marquez to combine attack and defense in one fluid motion. The result is a devastating knockout that looked like it actually killed Pacquiao for a few minutes. Simultaneous counters can be extremely effective because they hit while the opponent is opening up and often moving into the punch, thus slipping should be practiced to attack with both delayed and simultaneous counters from both inside and outside slips.

PULLS:

A pull is a quick movement of the head backwards in the stance. It looks like leaning backwards, but the key to a good pull is to never let the head go beyond the back foot. Often, it will need to be accompanied by a subtle step back of the rear foot in order to keep the head within the stance. Pulls rely on creating enough distance that the opponent’s attack falls short, while keeping the feet close enough to the opponent to counter attack quickly. Observe the man who made the move famous:

Mayweather leans his head forward with his hands down, baiting an attack. Because his head is forward in his stance, he has plenty of room to move it backwards without compromising his positioning and balance. He gives his opponent a false sense of distance, so when a jab comes away he is easily able to rock back out of range then spring forward with a hard right hand. The beauty of pulls is that they lure the opponent in then use their momentum against them. Many people believe that pulls are exclusively for fighters with outstanding reflexes and speed. Pulls are definitely favored by faster fighters, but anyone who understands distance can make use of them. Here’s Mike McCallum showing a slick pull counter during his dominating performance over Michael Watson, a world champion 10 years his junior.

The setup for this one is extremely subtle. Watch McCallum’s head closely. Just before Watson jabs McCallum shifts his head very slightly towards his lead foot. His lean is less exaggerated than that of the younger, faster Mayweather. It’s just enough to suggest his head as a target, but not so much that he won’t have time to react. Watson bites on the false opening, McCallum’s head shoots back, and McCallum’s right hand cracks Watson as he tries to circle out. McCallum is sure to slide his back foot slightly behind him to maintain balance and give him a “spring” to push forward into his counter.

Because pulls rely on distance, they can be used to avoid any strike to the head, even kicks:

https://gfycat.com/RichEllipticalAustralianshelduck

But that’s going to come up again in part 2. For now, let’s stick to boxing.

DUCKS/WEAVES:

These types of head movement involve going underneath an opponent’s attacks. Ducks, also known as dips and bobs, involve a level change straight down. The fighter simply flexes at both the hips and knees to drop their elevation, lowering their head straight down from wherever it may be at the time. Weaves, also known as rolls, are U shaped movements of the head where it goes down on one side, shifts over to the other side, then returns to normal height on the new side. Ducks and weaves are primarily used to avoid hooks, especially in exchanges in the pocket.

https://gfycat.com/WebbedWindingIndianspinyloach

Here we see an excellent weave from the current #1 ranked P4P boxer, Roman “El Chocolatito” Gonzalez. With his opponent ducking in a bad position, Gonzalez flurries with uppercuts. The uppercuts miss, but the purpose of them is to stand Salado up. Salado does come up with an uppercut of his own, preparing a left hook with an angle change behind it. Gonzalez expertly dips his head down on his left side then rolls his head in a U shape under the hook. As his weight shifts to his back foot, he pivots to take away Salado’s attempt at an angle—leaving him perfectly aligned to pop Salado straight in the mouth.

One of the most common times you’ll see a weave is after a big right hand. It works as a form of proactive defense and allows the fighter to return to stance safely.

https://gfycat.com/AcceptableQuerulousGar

https://gfycat.com/GentleDistantKrill

Canelo Alvarez will still roll under the remnants of punches being thrown by men he just hit so hard they might as well have been shot. He illustrates how important it is to have head movement deeply ingrained in a fighter in order to enable them to transition fluidly between offense and defense at any time. Ducks and weaves are slightly easier to implement after punching than slipping or pulling because instead of suddenly changing directions, they can simply flow into the move by slightly redirecting the momentum from their punch, as Canelo is seen doing. They also work very well to smother an aggressive opponent. McCallum made great use of ducks and weaves to neutralize one of the scariest right hands in the history of boxing.

https://gfycat.com/FrailCourageousAmericanpainthorse

Julian Jackson feints with his lead hand, shuffling forward and setting his feet to launch a big right hand. McCallum uses a pull in response to the feint and prepares to counter with his left hand, but realizes Jackson’s left was only meant to catch his eye. McCallum transitions instantly into a tight weave, going under the right hand while throwing his right uppercut low. He comes up on the right side of Jackson’s body with his head tight to Jackson’s ribs. From here Jackson cannot continue his assault, and McCallum has good leverage to turn him and push off. But that’s not the real reason I used this gif. The wrestlers reading this should be able to figure out what I’m getting at, but we’ll get there in part 2.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

So now we’ve gone over the basic types of head movement. In order to have a complete defensive system, a fighter must not only be adept at the different types, he must also be able to combine these moves with other forms of defense including footwork, parrying, framing and blocking. The more options a fighter has defensively, the more difficult it will be to feint him out of position or run him into traps. We’ll delve deeper into this when we discuss mitigating the risks of head movement in MMA, but for now we’ll end with this compilation of versatile defensive movement from Canelo’ fight against Cotto:

https://streamable.com/i315h

For more of my content, check out my new blog Cagecraft

Last edited:
That wasn't just a normal counter to the jab. Pacquiao hopped straight-lined inside of Marquez space fairly idiotically.

Last edited:
exc.gif

Really looking forward to this! Very concise and with good illustrations so far!

PS: Some of your gifs are links bud and I can't see any of the Canelo vs Cotto ones!

That wasn't just a normal counter to the jab. Pacquiao hopped straight-lined inside of Marquez space fairly idiotically.

Ha, he actually trips over Marquez' lead foot. He was trying to step outside but Marquez beat his foot to that spot.

exc.gif

Really looking forward to this! Very concise and with good illustrations so far!

PS: Some of your gifs are links bud and I can't see any of the Canelo vs Cotto ones!

Thanks man!

I think sherdog limits how many will show up as gifs. It used to be 6, guess it's 5 now. Let me see what I can do about the Canelo vs Cotto clip.

Thanks man!

I think sherdog limits how many will show up as gifs. It used to be 6, guess it's 5 now. Let me see what I can do about the Canelo vs Cotto clip.

That's so lame they do that. Oh well!

Thanks for the video! Canelo has underrated defense. His fight with Trout was the first time I really noticed it. Can we expect some prime Toney footage in this regard? HEHE :D

Either way, thanks again for taking the time. I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on using headmovement in MMA and with kicks. Btw, that MT lean back, would you call that a pull or a lean back? With his head going that far back and bending at the back and all. I've never noticed if the Thai's actually draw the headkicks out on purpose before they do that move, but I'm thinking they probably have to considering how well they react to the kick.

Ha, he actually trips over Marquez' lead foot. He was trying to step outside but Marquez beat his foot to that spot.

While I noticed this too, I don't think it played much of a factor in this scene. You hop to the back and to the side, but you never hop forward. This increases the impact if a counter punch lands opposed to a controlled step forward (controlled = consider balance and getting just as close as necessary for the punch to land).

One more thing in relation to lead foot dominance. I don't want to call it overrated, but people focus way too much on it when watching SP vs orthodox fights.

While I noticed this too, I don't think it played much of a factor in this scene. You hop to the back and to the side, but you never hop forward. This increases the impact if a counter punch lands opposed to a controlled step forward (controlled = consider balance and getting just as close as necessary for the punch to land).

One more thing in relation to lead foot dominance. I don't want to call it overrated, but people focus way too much on it when watching SP vs orthodox fights.

Ha yea, well that's fast guys for you. They can blitz in and out without ever paying for it because they're so fast, but if they run into someone with timing that speed works against them.

I'd be perfectly willing to call it overrated. People think it's literally the only advantageous position. Nobody talks about the guys who get hurt going for it. Lol, I've seen MMA fans argue that McGregor is so successful because he gets "lead foot dominance" even though pretty much every knockout of his career has been from an inside angle.

That's so lame they do that. Oh well!

Thanks for the video! Canelo has underrated defense. His fight with Trout was the first time I really noticed it. Can we expect some prime Toney footage in this regard? HEHE :D

Either way, thanks again for taking the time. I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on using headmovement in MMA and with kicks. Btw, that MT lean back, would you call that a pull or a lean back? With his head going that far back and bending at the back and all. I've never noticed if the Thai's actually draw the headkicks out on purpose before they do that move, but I'm thinking they probably have to considering how well they react to the kick.

Yea I guess it's so I don't crash people's computer with 100 gifs when they try to load the page, it's annoying but what can you do?

I don't know if I'm going to use any more boxing footage, but I really should have included Toney--especially for the MMA fans who have no idea what he was like in his prime.

I still call it a pull, only because I only really call it leaning if the head goes too far beyond the back foot--like Silva's did against Weidman (yes that's gonna be included next time haha). I'd say it's a little bit of both. Head kicks are pretty easy to see because of how far they have to travel, and those guys have seen thousands of head kicks in their time. I don't think you need to draw them the same way you would a jab, which is much faster and harder to see.

Yea I guess it's so I don't crash people's computer with 100 gifs when they try to load the page, it's annoying but what can you do?

I don't know if I'm going to use any more boxing footage, but I really should have included Toney--especially for the MMA fans who have no idea what he was like in his prime.

I still call it a pull, only because I only really call it leaning if the head goes too far beyond the back foot--like Silva's did against Weidman (yes that's gonna be included next time haha). I'd say it's a little bit of both. Head kicks are pretty easy to see because of how far they have to travel, and those guys have seen thousands of head kicks in their time. I don't think you need to draw them the same way you would a jab, which is much faster and harder to see.
Ah I see. I guess the gif thing makes sense, still annoying huh.

Haha yeah Toney is an excellent example of subtly head movement and rolls, but the ones you used were great as well.

It always amazes me how well some of the best MT guys can pull back on kicks like that. I know it's further away, but they make it look so effortless. In typical nonchalant Thai fashion I might add.

This is the quality of post I like to read, not if tma works or whatever

This is the quality of post I like to read, not if tma works or whatever

Yea but look how many responses that shit gets. Very few people care about this kind of stuff if we're being honest.

Ah I see. I guess the gif thing makes sense, still annoying huh.

Haha yeah Toney is an excellent example of subtly head movement and rolls, but the ones you used were great as well.

It always amazes me how well some of the best MT guys can pull back on kicks like that. I know it's further away, but they make it look so effortless. In typical nonchalant Thai fashion I might add.
Some of those pull backs look straight from the Matrix

I dont even know how Oley didnt mess up his back here lol

Yea but look how many responses that shit gets. Very few people care about this kind of stuff if we're being honest.
This subforum has been overun by trolls lately, but we hardcore striking fans are still out here! Great job btw, cant wait for part 2, Im tired of people saying you will automatically eat a knee or kick for daring to try out head movement in another ruleset than boxing.

Last edited:
Boxing head movement and footwork is very under rated. My MMA coach has a MT background but since he started teaching in a boxing gym he is now paying a lot of attention to distance partner drills and combinations involving a lot of head movement that he took from the boxing classes.

As pointed you can draw jabs and straights with feints and counter pretty easy with slips and some footwork. The weave and the bob can pretty easy turn into a take down attack or defence or clinch.

This subforum has been overun by trolls lately, but we hardcore striking fans are still out here! Great job btw, cant wait for part 2, Im tired of people saying you will automatically eat a knee or kick for daring to try out head movement in another ruleset than boxing.
The gif reminded me of this I saw the other day

Head movement is a somewhat controversial topic in MMA. You’re equally likely to hear criticism of a fighter for failing to move their head as you are to hear the idea of head movement be dismissed because of threats like head kicks, knees and takedowns. Some argue that it’s too risky, other’s that it’s a vital skill. While it is true that excessive head movement carries extra risk in MMA compared to a sport like boxing, there are many benefits to be gained from its proper application. In today’s article, we’re going to examine the distinct types of head movement and the correct mechanics behind them. In the future, we’re going to use this background information to discuss their application in MMA, the risks, and how to mitigate those risks.

Before getting into the types of head movement, it’s important to understand some fundamental positioning guidelines. No matter how much a fighter’s head is moving, he should always be maintaining balance and line of sight with the opponent. The fighter should maintain good posture and keep his head inside his stance. In order to do this, he will need to make proper use of his lower body—specifically his hips. Head movement is actually trunk movement, and trunk movement originates in the hips. Strong, mobile hips are the foundation of good head movement. When the hips are weak and stiff or inflexible, you’ll see fighters compensate by bending their backs instead, which results in them looking at the floor and leaving big openings. Proper head movement involves using small, controlled and balanced movements at the hips to evade strikes while keeping the eyes on the opponent and the stance intact. A final note—while head movement is generally considered defensive, the end goal should always be to establish better positions to attack from.

With an understanding of the general principles behind head movement, it’s time to delve into the specifics.

SLIPS:

Slips are side to side movements of the head caused by shifting weight from foot to foot, rotating the torso and bending slightly at the hips. Slips are generally used to evade straight punches, and can be performed to the inside or outside.

Here, we see perhaps the sexiest counter punch ever thrown. Jersey Joe saunters towards his opponent, tempting him to make a move. As soon as Charles attacks, Joe flexes at his lead hip while bringing his right shoulder towards his left knee. The jab of Charles “slips” over Joe’s right shoulder (hence the name) but even more significant than the evasion, observe the position Joe moves into. His weight is shifted onto his lead leg with his lead shoulder and arm pulled back and his elevation lowered for leverage. His posture is strong with his back straight and eyes directly on the opponent. He’s at the right range and the left side of his body is coiled like a spring. From that excellent offensive position, Jersey Joe destroys Charles with a picture-perfect shovel hook off the inside slip.

Another one of my favorite counter punches, Joe Louis murders Al Ettore with a right hand from hell. Louis comes forward and paws with his lead hand, serving to both measure distance and put a little pressure on Ettore—who responds by shooting out a jab. Louis flexes at his rear hip, dipping down slightly to that side while taking a simultaneous step with his lead foot. Again, take note of the perfect distance and position he ends up in. His right side is loaded like a cannon and because his head has only moved the exact amount it needed to, that cannon is ready to fire. Ettore eats a bomb of a right hand, thrown with perfect weight transfer, rotation, leverage and follow through. In response, he performs a sweet 180 faceplant.

While these examples show both inside and outside slips, both are delayed counters. One of the important benefits of slipping is that unlike other types of head movement, the movement is nearly identical to throwing a punch. As a result, it is also possible to use slips to throw simultaneous counters.

Marquez times Pacquiao’s double jab, slipping outside his lead arm while throwing his right hand at the same time. The weight shift that moves his head during the slip also powers his punch, allowing Marquez to combine attack and defense in one fluid motion. The result is a devastating knockout that looked like it actually killed Pacquiao for a few minutes. Simultaneous counters can be extremely effective because they hit while the opponent is opening up and often moving into the punch, thus slipping should be practiced to attack with both delayed and simultaneous counters from both inside and outside slips.

PULLS:

A pull is a quick movement of the head backwards in the stance. It looks like leaning backwards, but the key to a good pull is to never let the head go beyond the back foot. Often, it will need to be accompanied by a subtle step back of the rear foot in order to keep the head within the stance. Pulls rely on creating enough distance that the opponent’s attack falls short, while keeping the feet close enough to the opponent to counter attack quickly. Observe the man who made the move famous:

Mayweather leans his head forward with his hands down, baiting an attack. Because his head is forward in his stance, he has plenty of room to move it backwards without compromising his positioning and balance. He gives his opponent a false sense of distance, so when a jab comes away he is easily able to rock back out of range then spring forward with a hard right hand. The beauty of pulls is that they lure the opponent in then use their momentum against them. Many people believe that pulls are exclusively for fighters with outstanding reflexes and speed. Pulls are definitely favored by faster fighters, but anyone who understands distance can make use of them. Here’s Mike McCallum showing a slick pull counter during his dominating performance over Michael Watson, a world champion 10 years his junior.

The setup for this one is extremely subtle. Watch McCallum’s head closely. Just before Watson jabs McCallum shifts his head very slightly towards his lead foot. His lean is less exaggerated than that of the younger, faster Mayweather. It’s just enough to suggest his head as a target, but not so much that he won’t have time to react. Watson bites on the false opening, McCallum’s head shoots back, and McCallum’s right hand cracks Watson as he tries to circle out. McCallum is sure to slide his back foot slightly behind him to maintain balance and give him a “spring” to push forward into his counter.

Because pulls rely on distance, they can be used to avoid any strike to the head, even kicks:

https://gfycat.com/RichEllipticalAustralianshelduck

But that’s going to come up again in part 2. For now, let’s stick to boxing.

DUCKS/WEAVES:

These types of head movement involve going underneath an opponent’s attacks. Ducks, also known as dips and bobs, involve a level change straight down. The fighter simply flexes at both the hips and knees to drop their elevation, lowering their head straight down from wherever it may be at the time. Weaves, also known as rolls, are U shaped movements of the head where it goes down on one side, shifts over to the other side, then returns to normal height on the new side. Ducks and weaves are primarily used to avoid hooks, especially in exchanges in the pocket.

https://gfycat.com/WebbedWindingIndianspinyloach

Here we see an excellent weave from the current #1 ranked P4P boxer, Roman “El Chocolatito” Gonzalez. With his opponent ducking in a bad position, Gonzalez flurries with uppercuts. The uppercuts miss, but the purpose of them is to stand Salado up. Salado does come up with an uppercut of his own, preparing a left hook with an angle change behind it. Gonzalez expertly dips his head down on his left side then rolls his head in a U shape under the hook. As his weight shifts to his back foot, he pivots to take away Salado’s attempt at an angle—leaving him perfectly aligned to pop Salado straight in the mouth.

One of the most common times you’ll see a weave is after a big right hand. It works as a form of proactive defense and allows the fighter to return to stance safely.

https://gfycat.com/AcceptableQuerulousGar

https://gfycat.com/GentleDistantKrill

Canelo Alvarez will still roll under the remnants of punches being thrown by men he just hit so hard they might as well have been shot. He illustrates how important it is to have head movement deeply ingrained in a fighter in order to enable them to transition fluidly between offense and defense at any time. Ducks and weaves are slightly easier to implement after punching than slipping or pulling because instead of suddenly changing directions, they can simply flow into the move by slightly redirecting the momentum from their punch, as Canelo is seen doing. They also work very well to smother an aggressive opponent. McCallum made great use of ducks and weaves to neutralize one of the scariest right hands in the history of boxing.

https://gfycat.com/FrailCourageousAmericanpainthorse

Julian Jackson feints with his lead hand, shuffling forward and setting his feet to launch a big right hand. McCallum uses a pull in response to the feint and prepares to counter with his left hand, but realizes Jackson’s left was only meant to catch his eye. McCallum transitions instantly into a tight weave, going under the right hand while throwing his right uppercut low. He comes up on the right side of Jackson’s body with his head tight to Jackson’s ribs. From here Jackson cannot continue his assault, and McCallum has good leverage to turn him and push off. But that’s not the real reason I used this gif. The wrestlers reading this should be able to figure out what I’m getting at, but we’ll get there in part 2.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

So now we’ve gone over the basic types of head movement. In order to have a complete defensive system, a fighter must not only be adept at the different types, he must also be able to combine these moves with other forms of defense including footwork, parrying, framing and blocking. The more options a fighter has defensively, the more difficult it will be to feint him out of position or run him into traps. We’ll delve deeper into this when we discuss mitigating the risks of head movement in MMA, but for now we’ll end with this compilation of versatile defensive movement from Canelo’ fight against Cotto:

https://streamable.com/i315h

Wow man!
As a counter striker in my past this is an awesome text on avoiding damage.
Head movement is still one of my workout drills even though I never formally trained straight boxing.
In my old operational security job my focus was to have razor sharp avoidance capability and not get hit in altercations till backup arrived on scene.

It really has been. TBH I wasn't gonna post it here at all but I figured fuck it, I know some actually good posters do still hang around and here we are. Part 2 will be good because there's gonna be a video made by another guy who does good analysis to go along with it.

Wow man!
As a counter striker in my past this is an awesome text on avoiding damage.
Head movement is still one of my workout drills even though I never formally trained straight boxing.
In my old operational security job my focus was to have razor sharp avoidance capability and not get hit in altercations till backup arrived on scene.

Thanks man! I really do think every martial artist should practice head movement. It's so practical and effective.

I usually try to duck the cross, but I'm not so good at countering after the fact.

I usually try to duck the cross, but I'm not so good at countering after the fact.

*Back Straight
*Ass OUT <--- [special fundamental 'trick' nobody gets told]
*Bend at the knees (most people have weak legs and don't like to do this, but just practice and strengthen them if so, it's kind of important)
*Don't put your head down(!)/don't look at the floor
*Don't bend way too low, only as much as you need to be barely missed or (ideally)brushed by the punch
*Use those now-loaded springs in your leg(s), point the foot (of the sameside hand you're going to hit him with) at him and make the punch snappy, might as well do a combo if you can since you're close and in a bad position for him

You've gotta practice it of course. Practice slowly by yourself. If you time it right you shouldn't be thinking about getting a high speed of execution, you don't want to do it like that. You want to be able to savor that time that he's created for you by missing and follow through smoothly (almost like you're on vacation, but not wasting time, just using every moment perfectly) while he's unable to do anything.

Last edited:
Back