Internet is making me ADHD

just put the fucking phone in another room and pay attention for fuck sake.

Some people can't. Its like asking a heroin addict to sit up straight and pay attention. That's why the term digital dementia is being used now. A study tested mice and used lights to mimic going from the cell phone to the computer and from the cell phone to the computer, over and over and it concluded that the mice took 3 times longer to solve mazes and the damage to them was permanent. When the study ended the mice did not return to normalcy.

I'm telling you, maybe not for everyone, but we have a serious issue on our hands that people are not ready to deal with. The internet, computers in general, or making it so people can no longer concentrate, even making us dumber.

The internet turned me into a paperclip

Less suicide if people come on the internet for advice.

Whats going to happen when the world figures out, too late I might add, that we have produced an entire generation of human beings, multiple generations of human beings, with cognitive issues and who are generally dumber, because our technology did it to us?

Check this out. I'm not being hyperbolic here. There is a real issue with our tech doing damage to our minds and the OP is just an example, a peak into that.

“Digital Dementia”, a term coined by top German neuroscientist Manfred Spitzer in his 2012 book of the same name, is a term used to describe how overuse of digital technology is resulting in the breakdown of cognitive abilities in a way that is more commonly seen in people who have suffered a head injury or psychiatric illness.
https://www.alzheimers.net/overuse-of-technology-can-lead-to-digital-dementia/

If that isn't alarming I don't know what is.

Whats going to happen when the world figures out, too late I might add, that we have produced an entire generation of human beings, multiple generations of human beings, with cognitive issues and who are generally dumber, because our technology did it to us?

Check this out. I'm not being hyperbolic here. There is a real issue with out tech doing damage to our minds and the OP is just an example, a peak into that.

“Digital Dementia”, a term coined by top German neuroscientist Manfred Spitzer in his 2012 book of the same name, is a term used to describe how overuse of digital technology is resulting in the breakdown of cognitive abilities in a way that is more commonly seen in people who have suffered a head injury or psychiatric illness.
https://www.alzheimers.net/overuse-of-technology-can-lead-to-digital-dementia/

If that isn't alarming I don't know what is.

Not disagreeing. Some people can endure fucked up lives like being on the internet all day. Some can't.

As a rule you've got to put it down when face to face with people.

Not disagreeing. Some people can endure fucked up lives like being on the internet all day. Some can't.

As a rule you've got to put it down when face to face with people.

Depends on how old you are. Studies are finding now that especially if you are young, you can permafuck your brain because the connections used for memory and other things don't get made. I grew up in a world without cellphones and internet. If you didn't, you likely wouldn't even know that you have been damaged, its just normal to you.

Check this out, its actually changing our brains, especially to younger people.

While dementia is a disease that typically plagues the elderly, a new type of cognitive condition is affecting younger individuals in their early 20s and teens – a disorder known as “digital dementia.”

Digital dementia is characterized as the deterioration of brain function as a result of the overuse of digital technology, such as computers, smart phones and Internet use in general, Medical Daily reported. This excess use of technology leads to unbalanced brain development, as heavy users are more likely to overdevelop their left brains, leaving their right brains underdeveloped.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/26/new-digital-dementia-plaguing-young-tech-users.html

The internet turned me into a paperclip

It may be doing more than that. I find this incredibly disturbing.

Surge in 'digital dementia'
Doctors in South Korea are reporting a surge in "digital dementia" among young people who have become so reliant on electronic devices that they can no longer remember everyday details like their phone numbers.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/southkorea/10138403/Surge-in-digital-dementia.html

If you were on heavy drugs so bad you couldn't remember your phone number I would tell you to seek help because its fucking up your life. Computers are doing that to people now. They are actually suffering from cognitive disorders caused by overuse of the internet.

It may be doing more than that. I find this incredibly disturbing.

Surge in 'digital dementia'
Doctors in South Korea are reporting a surge in "digital dementia" among young people who have become so reliant on electronic devices that they can no longer remember everyday details like their phone numbers.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/southkorea/10138403/Surge-in-digital-dementia.html

If you were on heavy drugs so bad you couldn't remember your phone number I would tell you to seek help because its fucking up your life. Computers are doing that to people now. They are actually suffering from cognitive disorders caused by overuse of the internet.

I believe it. I'm so fucked up I'll want to look something up like who was this actor in what movie and by the time I get to wikipedia, I LITERALLY forget what I'm looking up! I'm also doing 15 other things online at the same time :eek:

And I mean I do this often, find myself on Wikipedia and have no idea what I wanted to look up that I was so interested in only seconds ago

I believe it. I'm so fucked up I'll want to look something up like who was this actor in what movie and by the time I get to wikipedia, I LITERALLY forget what I'm looking up! I'm also doing 15 other things online at the same time :eek:

And I mean I do this often, find myself on Wikipedia and have no idea what I wanted to look up that I was so interested in only seconds ago

You aren't alone. That comes mostly from multi-tasking so many different topics in your mind simultaneously that you can't hold on to the one you needed to hold on to. If you couple that with reduced cognitive ability, higher suicide rates, and poor memory retention, then it becomes a real problem considering the entire planet is hardwired to the internet now. The original studies for these types of things have been done in South Korea because they have the highest percentage of population with internet in the world.

Depends on how old you are. Studies are finding now that especially if you are young, you can permafuck your brain because the connections used for memory and other things don't get made. I grew up in a world without cellphones and internet. If you didn't, you likely wouldn't even know that you have been damaged, its just normal to you.

Check this out, its actually changing our brains, especially to younger people.

While dementia is a disease that typically plagues the elderly, a new type of cognitive condition is affecting younger individuals in their early 20s and teens – a disorder known as “digital dementia.”

Digital dementia is characterized as the deterioration of brain function as a result of the overuse of digital technology, such as computers, smart phones and Internet use in general, Medical Daily reported. This excess use of technology leads to unbalanced brain development, as heavy users are more likely to overdevelop their left brains, leaving their right brains underdeveloped.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/26/new-digital-dementia-plaguing-young-tech-users.html

Was born in the early 80's. I remember repeating phone numbers aloud to memorize them. Didn't take long to get a number down pat. Actually can still recall numbers from 30 years ago.

I'll leave the fate of the world to parents(which I'm not). Good parents seem to limit screen time for kids. Bad parents only spend enough time with kids to get social media pics then sit there on the phone awaiting fake internet points.

You aren't alone. That comes mostly from multi-tasking so many different topics in your mind simultaneously that you can't hold on to the one you needed to hold on to. If you couple that with reduced cognitive ability, higher suicide rates, and poor memory retention, then it becomes a real problem considering the entire planet is hardwired to the internet now. The original studies for these types of things have been done in South Korea because they have the highest percentage of population with internet in the world.

One thing that happens to me is I'll think of something interesting and go to look it up on Wikipedia but I'm doing so many things at once that by the time I get to Wikipedia I forgot what I wanted to look up!!!

:eek:

And I mean this would be something I was just thinking of moments earlier but I'm staring at the Wikipedia search bar like an asshole not knowing what I wanted to type in.

Correction: Your uninhibited abuse/lack of restraint did that. Internet cannot make you do anything, you did that to yourself.

There's always an element of free wil in anything, but there have definitely been findings that point to decreased attention spans caused by rapid-fire media formats

If you watch vine comps and world star comps and funny video comps and battlefield kill comps and top video game sandbox side villains and robot chicken and best of rick and morty moments you might experience a hankering for short-form media

Was born in the early 80's. I remember repeating phone numbers aloud to memorize them. Didn't take long to get a number down pat. Actually can still recall numbers from 30 years ago.

I'll leave the fate of the world to parents(which I'm not). Good parents seem to limit screen time for kids. Bad parents only spend enough time with kids to get social media pics then sit there on the phone awaiting fake internet points.

Suicide rates from 1999 to present have increased dramatically. That was about the time we introduced high speed internet right? 1999ish? There is a link to everyone staring at cell phones and computer screens and the suicide rate skyrocketing. I think this problem is bigger than just not letting little Johnny look at his ipad for too long. I think its affecting people of all ages in various ways and its not good.

Suicide rates rose steadily in nearly every state from 1999 to 2016, increasing 25 percent nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Thursday. In 2016, there were more than twice as many suicides as homicides.

Social isolation, lack of mental health treatment, drug and alcohol abuse and gun ownership are among the factors that contribute to suicide.
https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/u-s-suicide-rates-soaring/

Suicide rates from 1999 to present have increased dramatically. That was about the time we introduced high speed internet right? 1999ish? There is a link to everyone staring at cell phones and computer screens and the suicide rate skyrocketing. I think this problem is bigger than just not letting little Johnny look at his ipad for too long. I think its affecting people of all ages in various ways and its not good.

Suicide rates rose steadily in nearly every state from 1999 to 2016, increasing 25 percent nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Thursday. In 2016, there were more than twice as many suicides as homicides.

Social isolation, lack of mental health treatment, drug and alcohol abuse and gun ownership are among the factors that contribute to suicide.
https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/u-s-suicide-rates-soaring/

Wonder what it is about living in the US that has us glued to the net? Were we conditioned by television years prior?

Last edited:
One thing that happens to me is I'll think of something interesting and go to look it up on Wikipedia but I'm doing so many things at once that by the time I get to Wikipedia I forgot what I wanted to look up!!!

:eek:

And I mean this would be something I was just thinking of moments earlier but I'm staring at the Wikipedia search bar like an asshole not knowing what I wanted to type in.

Acumen is a measure of your mental muscle so to speak. What I do to try to combat this short attention span society is I force myself to read every day. I cringe at how many people I see who cannot read more than a couple sentences without moving on to something else. If you are to the point where one paragraph is tl/dr, then that is a real problem for society. So I read something fairly lengthy every day, something that is at least several thousands words minimum to try to keep my mind focused and sharp.

Wonder what it is about living in the US that has us glued to the net? We're we conditioned by television years prior?

Well they didn't call it the "boob tube" because it had boobs. They called it the boob tube because even people before the internet knew that television would screw with your mind and make you dumber in some way. Other countries are having the same problem, some even worse. These studies about the problem of digital dementia originated in South Korea where they are noticing these problems and changes in society. South Korea is actually moving to classify these digital addictions as being the same as drug addiction.

This is us now.

computer-south-kor_2598299b.jpg

There's always an element of free wil in anything, but there have definitely been findings that point to decreased attention spans caused by rapid-fire media formats

If you watch vine comps and world star comps and funny video comps and battlefield kill comps and top video game sandbox side villains and robot chicken and best of rick and morty moments you might experience a hankering for short-form media

Twitter is the devil as far as that goes. Many people have got to the point where if the idea is not conveyed in 200 characters or less then they type tl/dr. I can't tell you how many people I encounter that seem to have lost the ability to just read, they cannot do it.

Twitter is the devil as far as that goes. Many people have got to the point where if the idea is not conveyed in 200 characters or less then they type tl/dr. I can't tell you how many people I encounter that seem to have lost the ability to just read, they cannot do it.

Right, I'm not one of those people that demands everyone read books in their spare time to prove they're worthy, but it's important everyone reserves time for long-form entertainment like movies and shows and long conversations in bars and all that junk

Keeps people more focused and ups everyone's charisma

Lately I find it REALLY hard to sit down and pay attention to a movie or TV show, no matter how good it is. Its such a commitment to have to stare and focus on the same content for so long. When I have 3 or so hours to kill, I think to myself hmm I should catch up on WestWorld.......but what I end up doing is constantly refreshing sherdog, reddit, and youtube videos.
I'm in the same situation...most of the time I start watching some movie/tv show and after 20-30 min. I pause it to go check something on the net. On the other side I have no problem wasting 3-4 hours watching youtube videos.

Right, I'm not one of those people that demands everyone read books in their spare time to prove they're worthy, but it's important everyone reserves time for long-form entertainment like movies and shows and long conversations in bars and all that junk

Keeps people more focused and ups everyone's charisma

Yea, but here's the thing. If you can't even read something short, like say 500 words, I doubt you will get through a 2 hour movie without struggling. I stay away from things like Twitter and Facebook because I think social media is a cancerous tumor on society. I don't demand everyone read but I do it for myself on a daily basis as a method of exercising my mind. Your brain is like the muscles in your body. If you don't exercise it, it gets weak over time, it atrophies, so I read something lengthy almost every day as a form of mental exercise.

Yes, the future doesn't look too bright. I do everything I can to stay away from the internet, but Sherdog and my business won't allow me. Fortunately, I'm in a position to take a week away every month. My son and I go somewhere in nature, no smartphones, laptops or anything. Keeps me relatively sane. Kid loves it, too, but his generation is gonna get really messed up (he's 9 now).

Back