International Women's Day

fallable

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In honor of international women's day, I thought it would be fitting to make a thread in which we each offer a female figure from history that we admire and that we believe impacted world events.

I offer up the former Danish Queen, Thyra Dannebod, the Pride of Denmark (Danebod means pride of Denmark). Thyra married Gorm the Old, the first historically recognized King of Denmark. She also fathered the famous Viking King, Harold Bluetooth.

The reason Thyra is a famous queen and stands on her own is her involvement in the building of a fortification known as the Danevirke ("earth work of the Danes") in what is now Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The story goes that the the Holy Roman Emperor, Otto I, was trying to court Thyra and she led him on for a year so that the Danes could buy the time needed to build the the fortification and defend the kingdom from their Saxon foes to the south. New archeological evidence shows that the Danevirke existed long before Thyra was born so it is believed it was expanded and enlarged and fortified with timbers and a ditch during her time.

The Danish historian Arild Huitfeldt wrote in his Chronicles of the Kingdom of Denmark: "Then summons Queen Thyra, wife of Gorm the Old, Danes from all the kingdom's regions to meet at the border and under her supervision they built a wall of earth and timber from Slien over the moors to Trene. The Scanians received the Western section from Karlegat to Trene. Zealanders and Funen dwellers received the section east from Slien to Karlegat. Jutlanders provided provisions to the whole army.

The Danes would man the Danevirke many times throughout history in their defense.

Over the years conflicting accounts, dubious assertions, and archeological evidence has cast doubt on various aspects of Thyras life and story. I don't know that anybody knows for sure what importance her contribution to the Danevike played in Denmarks history or defense. It was started long before her birth and was being revamped long after her death. What isn't in question is the link and the association between Thyra and the Danevirke, even if their are questions about the legend behind the story. I believe Thyra rose to the defense of her kingdom and her people against the threats from abroad.

The Danevirke has become a symbol for the Danish people and the idea that they are a unique people with a unique culture and history.

Thyra ordering the building of the Danevirke

denmark-dronning-thyra-danebod-ved-dannevirke-stenders-no-49850.jpg

Danevirke today

Danewerk.JPG

Thyras runestone

vep99kes_large.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyra

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danevirke

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorm_the_Old

And then there's Maude..

When is 'International Men's Day'?

...oh, here it is: International Men's Day (IMD) is an annual international event celebrated every year on November 19th.

When is 'International Men's Day'?

...oh, here it is: International Men's Day (IMD) is an annual international event celebrated every year on November 19th.
Also: Steak and blow job day is March 14th.

220px-Marie_Curie_c1920.jpg

Marie Skłodowska Curie (7 November 1867 – 4 July 1934)
A Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and only woman to win twice, the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences, and was part of the Curie family legacy of five Nobel Prizes. She was also the first woman to become a professor at the University of Paris, and in 1995 became the first woman to be entombed on her own merits in the Panthéon in Paris.

Her achievements included the development of the theory of radioactivity (a term that she coined), techniques for isolating radioactive isotopes, and the discovery of two elements, polonium and radium. Under her direction, the world's first studies into the treatment of neoplasms were conducted using radioactive isotopes. She founded the Curie Institutes in Paris and in Warsaw, which remain major centres of medical research today. During World War I, she developed mobile radiography units to provide X-ray services to field hospitals.

Marie Curie died in 1934, aged 66, at a sanatorium in Sancellemoz (Haute-Savoie), France, of aplastic anemia from exposure to radiation in the course of her scientific research and in the course of her radiological work at field hospitals during World War I.

Back