Intermittent Fasting and time restricted eating?

honestly,I feel like i could benefit from it. I just gotta buckle down and do it.

I skip breakfast. Not even coffee. Then have a very light lunch. I don't like feeling full as fuck at work. Did that long before I even knew what intermittent fasting was.

I first learned about it back in 2012 from a documentary. After that, I did a 5 day fast just to test myself. Nothing but water.

I'll probably never try a long fast like that again but I have done multiple 24 and 48 hour fasts since then.

Last edited:
I do it pretty much on accident, but because of it, even with binge drinking, I've maintained my weight, which is the lightest I've been since I was 20 or so.

Probably just another fad. Makes my excretory system shut down and I only shit once every 2-3 days so my doctor advised me to stop

I do 12-14hrs everyday and it has helped me lean out more. Granted it's summer so my eating is bit less stringent - a bit more junk food than I'd like.

Try it and see if it is for you.

I do 12-14hrs everyday and it has helped me lean out more. Granted it's summer so my eating is bit less stringent - a bit more junk food than I'd like.

Try it and see if it is for you.

Why did you start doing it?

Health reasons? Wanted to lean out more?

I do it out of convenience, 16/8.

I workout fasted first thing and have never noticed any detriment to how I look or feel.

Fasting is silly.

Don't be silly.

This cave man diet is old news..
Why does everyone think GSP and Rogan discovered it.

Tried it out about ten years ago it was alright, helped here and there but I like food..

Read some book on it before trying and one of the health nuts that came up with it said that it is supposed to imitate how humans used to eat..

Not being able to eat in the morning or lunch because having to be up early harvesting crops all day or out hunting all day and only having time to eat once at the end of the day when they had time.

It does work.. just takes some time getting used to until your stomach shrinks enough to where it is comfortable.

It's a fad.

May work for some, but overall, eating high quality foods in properly portioned meals that suit your activities, caloric and nutritional needs is the best way to go.

Not taking a break from eating sometimes or eating only at specific times. Just think about it.
I agree.

If you step back and think about it logically and with a eye to historical context, fasting makes little sense.

For most of mankind's existence food instability and scarcity was something we had to live with. We went through periods of Feast and Famine.

As a result of that those that survived and passed on their genes where the ones who were best at storing food (fat) in times of feast so they would have those stores (fat) in times of famine to burn. Thus why you see such a propensity in African American women to store fat due to that historical need. It was healthier in the long run to be able to store lots of fat.

So now many of us live in a society that is pure abundance. Feast all the time with no famine. Our bodies struggle to adapt to that and still want to store fat. But we try to get around that genetic trait and train our bodies that we do not require stored fat and that it is no longer the healthier way to be.

AND THEN YOU DO THIS FAKE FAMINE SHIT.

You Fast telling your body that indeed we do live in times of Famine still and that it is very necessary for the body to still have the ability to grab up and store as much fat as quickly and efficiently as possible as soon as you go back to eating again.

Nope, Don't Fast. Just eat moderate and healthy and balance. Balance in all things is always the most healthy way.

no, and I've been doing intermittent fasting for ~8 years now. There has been zero difference between regular meal frequency and IF in terms of fat loss/muscle gain. That was my goal when I first tried it but I stayed on it because it is ridiculously convenient to just eat one huge meal a day rather than several smaller ones. I don't even feel hunger until I start eating. It recalibrates your gastric system and makes you feel like you've transcended human needs.

This is my experience. It didn't cause any weight loss on its own, but it makes it much easier to manage and keep track of what you are eating.

A lot of people claim it's a miracle for losing weight and getting in shape but I think that has more to do with cutting out all the snacks they would normally be eating.

This is my experience. It didn't cause any weight loss on its own, but it makes it much easier to manage and keep track of what you are eating.

A lot of people claim it's a miracle for losing weight and getting in shape but I think that has more to do with cutting out all the snacks they would normally be eating.
exactly. Think of all those empty hours between meals that people occupy with snacking whenever the mood strikes.

Why did you start doing it?

Health reasons? Wanted to lean out more?
I'd say more leaning out but now I feel like it has helped me with some stomach issues.

I was always feeling bloated and could never really get rid of that gut - I could lean out most of my body but my stomach was always bloated. I honestly feel it has helped. I have more energy and feel lighter my 5k time has gone down with the weight I've lost.

Like I said it is summer and my schedule is not as stringent and my food intake has not been as disciplined so I think the past few months have just been me maintaining. I do drink zero calorie soda water as well as coffee in the morning to help with the hunger. I also take BCAA's sometime in the morning before or just as I am eating (also if I am working out or training later in the day).

Don't get me wrong I do get hungry but it is mostly mental. I try not to do anything very strenuous activity till after I've eaten.

By no means do I claim that I know all about it. I just played around with it and found what works for me. Typically I fast from 10pm to 10am - sometimes it will be a bit later if I'm having a long day (11pm and I adjust accordingly). I typically eat my supper between 6-8pm then maybe a snack around 9pm and cut everything off (outside of water or maybe the zero calorie soda water) at 10pm. I sleep through a majority of the fast so it is not a big deal.

Mods, if you feel I should have posted this in the nutrition forum please, my apologies.

That being said, any mayberry folk have experience in this?

Joe rogan seems to swear by it, and the doctors and experts he has had on also support it or practice it.

Does it fuck with your training? Do you feel tired?

My coworker swears by it, says it has changed his life.

Any personal stories or testimonials?

Thanks in advance.

I actually just started IF last week. I did a 24hr fast, then a 24hr fat fast and went into IF starting that Monday, getting all my calories between 5am and 11am. I don't get hungry at all in the evenings, but that probably has to do with being on keto for over 2 years now. It's too early to tell yet what, if any, benefits I'm reaping, but I plan on sticking with it for a while to see what comes of it.

Back