Interim belts.

Wayne Brady

*neck belt*
@red
Reaction score
I know that a lot of people don't like them, but for once it actually seems to be accomplishing something. The welterweight division was starting to stagnate and now it's moving again.

Has there ever been an interim title that had helped move a division along this quickly?

I've learned to not worry about them too much. It's a publicity tool and if it helps to make guys more popular I'm fine with it.

What difference does the belt make for this fight? The division is moving along anyway.

Nah. Interim belts never did any good. Just strip the champ if he doesn’t defend.

If they just made champs defend or vacate, it wouldn’t be necessary.

So it’s a stupid solution for an idiotic problem that doesn’t need to exist.

They have a legit purpose. But the UFC just started handing them out like candy. And turned them into rubbish.

With no guarantee that Woodley would be back within a year of his last fight. I have no problem with an Interim belt.

The more shiney gold belts the better. I think each division should have at least 5 champions.

The fight probably wouldn't happen without a belt on the line.

Ok, good point. I take that back.

But it is sad to know that it now takes an interim belt to make these jabronis fight. What a mess they've made.

What difference does the belt make for this fight? The division is moving along anyway.

I don't think it is coincidence that Till and Usman got a couple of big fights immediately following them getting Colby and Rafael to get off their asses and fight. I also think it was a big fuck you to Tyron. I noticed the UFC is finally starting to reverse the damage that Conor started.

Ok, good point. I take that back.

But it is sad to know that it now takes an interim belt to make these jabronis fight. What a mess they've made.

In a way, yes. But also fighters are finally standing up for themselves and asking for better circumstances. Fighters need more incentive if they want to continue to grow the sport and attract future talent.

IMO, RDA has already secured a title shot and Woodley/RDA is the fight to make. Unfortunately, Woodley is injured so it's certainly risky for both the UFC and RDA to make this fight. We all saw what happened to Frankie and now Holloway/Edgar is gone. So with the interim title on the line, it basically "secures" the title shot for the winner and incentivizes both fighters.

DDLx_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
When did WW division become so stagnant they need a interim belt to move it along? TWood was forced to defend his belt back 2 back because Dana was desperate to get a new champ, now a unnecessary interim belt another attempt to get Tyron out.

Hope Tyrone f*ks up Dana's grand plans again...

I think the pay structure has led to a lot of the problems. Champs (Ok everyone) want to be paid better. Holding out for "money" fights either by taking longer to heal or some other excuse is a bargaining tactic.

I would like to see a different rank and pay structure - a pyramid.
Champ is at the top followed by levels of 2, 3, 4 etc. Challenges can come from up to two rows below. A fighter could make no more than a two row jump up ( either one . fight or two) before having to accept a challenge from below. The result would be a position switch. Pay would be based on level. Championship fight could be worth 300k, or $150k for the Loser. A 2 vs 3 level could be 150k/75k, 4 vs 5 level could be 50k/25k.

Don't get caught up on my numbers.

This might motivate fighters to take fights and simplify the rankings. Backroom bonuses or even additional contract deals could still exist.
And for the champ who doesn't fight...have the fighters from row 2 fight for the championship. The old champ moves into the winners old space and can fight when ready. If they are out for a long time, they keep sliding down the pyramid and will have to work their way up again.

Last edited:
I heard they give out interim belts to the first 50 shoppers at UFC's merch store every Monday. Can anyone confirm?

I don't care either way. Vacate or interim the end result is the same.

UFC has stated many times that basically any title fight is better than no title fight when it comes down to the numbers for an event. It truly is the only reason they do it.

DDLx_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
When did WW division become so stagnant they need a interim belt to move it along? TWood was forced to defend his belt back 2 back because Dana was desperate to get a new champ, now a unnecessary interim belt another attempt to get Tyron out.

Hope Tyrone f*ks up Dana's grand plans again...

I wasn't singling out Tyron for what was happening, but its a result of fighters only wanting to fight higher ranked fighters. Its understandable, but when you start to hear about fighters or their managers turning down fights and sitting on the shelf for a while, it sucks for us fans that want to watch them fight.
Whatever though, if a fake belt helps get them paid more and fight more then I'm good with it.

I wasn't singling out Tyron for what was happening, but its a result of fighters only wanting to fight higher ranked fighters. Its understandable, but when you start to hear about fighters or their managers turning down fights and sitting on the shelf for a while, it sucks for us fans that want to watch them fight.
Whatever though, if a fake belt helps get them paid more and fight more then I'm good with it.

Time for the UFC to start outing fighters "such and such fighter was offered a fight with _____ and refused" let the fan & foes start on them. I know the UFC can't force guys to fight but they need to motivate these f*kers to jump off their lilly pads. Like if you turn down a set number of fights you lose your ranking or get passed over for opportunities due to cowardliness.

Back