Interesting things. (Interesting brahs GTFIH)

Some asteroids can exhibit comet-like outgassing, and the distinction between the two is not as absolute as it once was.

On the same subject, because asteroids spin rapidly, with periods as short as a few hours, I was recently wondering if loose material on their surfaces could be thrown off their equators due to centrifugal force.

The answer is no; an asteroid would have to rotate in less than about 2h for the centrifugal force to exceed gravity.

Some asteroids can exhibit comet-like outgassing, and the distinction between the two is not as absolute as it once was.

On the same subject, because asteroids spin rapidly, with periods as short as a few hours, I was recently wondering if loose material on their surfaces could be thrown off their equators due to centrifugal force.

The answer is no; an asteroid would have to rotate in less than about 2h for the centrifugal force to exceed gravity.

I expect in the vastness of space there are exceptions, a void-filled asteroid would have less density and less gravity.

I expect in the vastness of space there are exceptions, a void-filled asteroid would have less density and less gravity.
Oh certainly, as well as the short periods after the spin- imparting impacts, before rotational speed braking processes slow it.

29e9d7a2ef14fb29d361d9b694297898.jpg

566a5e846ebbe72a1e541cf6ff1529b4.jpg

a7621aed88ab001589cdd83406e968c5.jpg

temperature-v2.png

cebd62c42b0b391116384e6102852839.jpg

Let's see.
Pluto, the little almost planet, gets far enough away from the Sun that it reaches the triple point of methane.
Meaning, it's cold, and at that specific temp range, ices become liquids become gases.
To say that this is different from our experience here in the Goldilocks Zone is an understatement.

So it goes backwards?

There are more planes in the ocean then there are ships in the sky.

There is no amount of wood that a woodchuck could not chuck if in fact he was able to chuck wood.

It gets so cold that frozen solids turn to liquids then gas?
It's a special temperature situation. As Pluto orbits toward the Sun, its thin atmosphere is "warmed", such as it ever is, and is present as a thin gaseous haze very close to the surface. As it orbits away, that gas cools and sinks and becomes a slurry that is both liquid and solid, a bit of both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back