Interesting that pillow fisted fighters currently dominate P4P rankings

Over 8k posts and you're making threads about Holloway and TJ being feather fisted? Christ. Shit thread is shit.

Ortega’s face would suggest Max isn’t extremely pillow fisted.

If you land 244 significant strikes to your opponents head in 4 rounds without managing to knock him down even once, you are the very definition of a pillow fisted puncher.

I find your post and thread title misleading for two reasons. First, it suggests that being pillow fisted has anything to do with them being champion, which obviously isn't the case.

A) The thread title is just an observation and opinion.

B) Maybe lacking a big KO power forced them to learn to become more skilled and technical. Who knows.

Second, I disagree with your characterization of those fighters as pillow fisted (except maybe Max and GSP). Most of those guys have multiple KO's wins and are "only pillow fisted" if compared with the hardest hitters in their division (e.g. if you compare DC to Rumble or TJ to Lineker) but defnitely not in an absolute sense.

The best way to compare punching power is fighters punches landed to head/knock down ratio. The more punches fighter needs to land to the opponents head on average per knock down, the more pillow fisted fighter. Every fighter on that top6 P4P list does relatively poor in that comparison. None of them are even close to be known as a KO artist. Cormier for example throws a lot and almost everything with full power trying to rip his opponents head off, but still has only a couple of knock downs in his UFC career, and he is a LHW/HW. Tbf, all of these champions fight almost only against elite competition with tough chins, that explains it partly.

If you land 244 significant strikes to your opponents head in 4 rounds without managing to knock him down even once, you are the very definition of a pillow fisted puncher.

Why do people assume this is because Max is pillow rather than Ortega has a hell of a chin?

Holloway landed the most strikes ever (?) against the opponent with the worst striking defense but still couldn't get a KO.

It's embarrassing for boxing coaches to have champions without regular clean KO power.

Why do people assume this is because Max is pillow rather than Ortega has a hell of a chin?

Because that is way too ridiculous amount to explain only with opponents chin, and Max usually needs a ton of strikes vs weaker opponents as well.

Im not sure I saw Ortega even rocked once or on wobbly legs, just gassed and badly bruised and outclassed.

Holloway landed the most strikes ever (?) against the opponent with the worst striking defense but still couldn't get a KO.

It's embarrassing for boxing coaches to have champions without regular clean KO power.

So Holloways knows he doesnt have KO power so he improved his striking to the next level. He just catches you the whole time until you will be TKO'ed. Isn't that great? Its a finish. Not a decision win.

Winning by finish is an art. Fighters who only win by decisions (Kamaru Usman) I have problem with. Those 'wins' should be draws.

Each and every one of this list has KOs from punches in his resume.

/thread.

UPDATE: This guy is just a troll, never mind him.
I don't believe Jones has ever knocked someone out with punches in the UFC. Elbows and knees, yes.

I don't believe Jones has ever knocked someone out with punches in the UFC. Elbows and knees, yes.

Not in the UFC, but news flash! fighters in the UFC and outside of it are made from the same material

I agree on holloway and jones. holloway isn't a power puncher, whoever says otherwise is wrong, I believe. not that he is exactly PILLOW FISTED, but he doesn't pack a lot of power, that's for sure

also I know this is just a reason to bash jones, I believe, but I would rate more like

1 DC. MEDIUM at LHW
2. Khabib MEDIUM
3. Jones LOW
4. Dillashaw MEDIUM
5. Holloway LOW
6. GSP LOW
7. Woodley. HIGH

I don't think DC is a pillowfisted fighter at HW at his current bodyweight. At LHW I agree he isn't a particularly hard puncher.

DC isn't a powerpuncher period. It's a myth perpetrated by his fans to explain away his losses or bad performances by pretending they never would've happened at a different weight.

Go over DC's KOs and the consistent theme is always that he catches his opponent off guard through better strategy, not power. Look at Stipe, that wasn't some monster punch due to being 245lbs but rather a punch very well set up where he knew Stipe was going as he planned for it while Stipe did not.

This is just much easier to do against slower and less skilled opponents. It has nothing to do with DC's power mythically increasing.

We need this guy in the UFC
giphy.gif

Good accuracy on that right hand.

And there are fools who think Jon would stand a chance against Wilder or Joshua.
There was a thread like that recently.

Amazing that top level fighters don't wing haymakers and gas themselves out inside 2?

DC isn't a powerpuncher period. It's a myth perpetrated by his fans to explain away his losses or bad performances by pretending they never would've happened at a different weight.

Go over DC's KOs and the consistent theme is always that he catches his opponent off guard through better strategy, not power. Look at Stipe, that wasn't some monster punch due to being 245lbs but rather a punch very well set up where he knew Stipe was going as he planned for it while Stipe did not.

This is just much easier to do against slower and less skilled opponents. It has nothing to do with DC's power mythically increasing.
If it's a "myth", it's perpetuated by not only his fans, but DC himself, his training partners and his coaches, as all of them said there was a difference. Rockhold said there's a very noticeable difference, DC said there was in the lead-up to UFC 226, and several coaches and training partners also all echoed the concept. Sure enough, he knocked the HW champion out in the first. Coincidence? Is it a coincidence that DC's only knockdown in his entire LHW career was against Patrick Cummins but he has several legitimate out-cold knockouts at HW? It's also pretty intuitive that a fresh 245-250 lb man hits harder than a drained 230 pounder. It must be some kind of conspiracy all just to explain away the Jones losses though, right?

Back