Interesting parallel between the collapse of the Roman Empire and contemporary Western Civilization

Willy Womack

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought this book recently and it's excellent so far-https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-World-Illustrated-Atlas/dp/1426205333

It was written in 2009, so perhaps the editors these days might've taken more issue with some of the things written? Maybe not, but anyway I found this section particularly interesting-

I wonder what the open borders crowd thinks of stuff like this...

Last edited:
I bought this book recently and it's excellent so far-https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-World-Illustrated-Atlas/dp/1426205333

It was written in 2009, so perhaps the editors these days might've taken more issue with some of the things written? Maybe not, but anyway I found this section particularly interesting-

I wonder what the open borders crowd thinks of stuff like this...
You bought a fucking atlas? And one that starts at 400AD? Really? That's where you purportedly got that idea from?

Should have gone with something more believable than a collection of goddamn maps and pictures.

Also, start with Edward Gibbon.

but anyway I found this passage particularly interesting-
for the people who cant see it, its a passage about a bunch of bums entering the roman empire at a rapid pace.

the passage insinuates that the mere presence of the immigrants broke apart the social fabric of towns.

You bought a fucking atlas? And one that starts at 400AD? Really? That's where you purportedly got that idea from?

Should have gone with something more believable than a collection of goddamn maps and pictures.

Also, start with Edward Gibbon.

Thanks for the Edward Gibbon suggestion. I'll check out his History & Decline book. By the way you can kill that patronizing attitude you cunt. I'm merely trying to spark debate here.

Thanks for the Edward Gibbon suggestion. I'll check out his History & Decline book. By the way you can kill that patronizing attitude you cunt. I'm merely trying to spark debate here.

There are so many interesting historical parallels that one could draw between past empires and the post-apex US empire.

Yet the only persons who ever make these comparison are historically illiterate identity politics-obsessed immigration alarmists.

Muh Goths!

Thanks for the Edward Gibbon suggestion. I'll check out his History & Decline book. By the way you can kill that patronizing attitude you cunt.
<DCrying>

I'm merely trying to spark debate here.
Forgive me for mocking your story about learning about the collapse of the roman empire-and drawing parallels to western society-from a random passage in a medieval atlas.

Next time just go with your own thoughts instead of a busted photobucket link. That's how you spark a debate.

So, what do you think?

There are so many interesting historical parallels that one could draw between past empires and the post-apex US empire.

Yet the only persons who ever make these comparison are historically illiterate identity politics-obsessed immigration alarmists.

Muh Goths!

I guess you figured it out then. No possibility that any mistakes are being made. Any concerns are just the wailing of immigration alarmist backwood bubbas. Move along.

<DCrying>

Forgive me for mocking your story about learning about the collapse of the roman empire-and drawing parallels to western society-from a random passage in a medieval atlas.

Next time just go with your own thoughts instead of a busted photobucket link. That's how you spark a debate.

The random passage succinctly offered a relevant explanation. My thoughts are that I want to hear y'alls thoughts on this issue. Anything on topic to offer?

Open borders feels like a straw-man, I suppose some European feminists that are craving BBC are for open-borders, but I think compassion for immigrants is falsely equated to wanting open-borders

The random passage succinctly offered a relevant explanation. My thoughts are that I want to hear y'alls thoughts on this particular passage. Anything on topic to offer?
Your passage is literally not visible because you used photobucket, which blocks any new viewers after the first hundred or so.

And you have yet to comment meaningfully on it yourself.

Your passage is literally not visible because you used photobucket, which blocks any new viewers after the first hundred or so.

And you have yet to comment meaningfully on it yourself.
Oops. Hold on.

Anyway, my thoughts are that this passage reads like an almost exact description of what's going on in some parts of Europe, and even the US to a lesser extent. The implications are only collapse if the situation isn't rectified, I suppose (and the extent of such a collapse can't be known until it happens). It's also interesting to see how many people fervently deny that mass immigration from 3rd world countries is negatively affecting the overall quality of life in the host countries.

Attack me all you want for being a layman historian, by the way. Doesn't have anything to do with the topic at hand.

Last edited:
The Roman empire collapsed because they messed with the Germans.
And stretched their empire too far. Also, their leaders became more and more incompetent. Sounds a lot like the US in the last 150 years.
Sure they won a few wars and battles but at the end, they collapsed and the Germans were around before the Romans and after.

That's probably where you should see the paralell. The US is Rome and Germans are Germany.
It is basically the same. 2000 years ago or the 20th century the Germans were just peace loving people that never started a war that wasn't forced upon them ever.
In the history of mankind.

Pax Americana is in it's twilight.

I was just trying to be funny. Also, I think its always important to consider history.
Looking back to the Roman empire might not give a usable example simply because how different the societies were.
And limit on communications.

If you want to look at the influence of refugees or migrants. It is probably better to look at the last 200 years since the Napoleon wars.
The current influx of migrants is not that big compared to others that have happened during that time. Especially if you consider the larger population size overall.

The underlining kills me. God, that reads like a 4th grader’s text book.

All Civilizations collapse. It is interesting to discuss why, and try to find parallels. But that passage is so simplistic as to be useless.

Are you implying this passage relates to the US or some other nation?

The underlining kills me. God, that reads like a 4th grader’s text book.

All Civilizations collapse. It is interesting to discuss why, and try to find parallels. But that passage is so simplistic as to be useless.

Are you implying this passage relates to the US or some other nation?

Precisely why I posted it, and I agree it's interesting. It's part of two chapters dedicated to the fall of Rome but it's a nice summary. I'm sure there are more learned men on the subject who frequent the forum and I'm interested to hear their thoughts. You'll find an answer to your question a few posts up.

I also love the ad hominems with you guys. Make a fuss over petty BS instead of putting thought into the topic. I guess it's partially my fault for leaving low-hanging fruit. Lord forgive my disgusting penmanship.

Back