Interesting Jeff Osbourne and Mike Goldberg quotes from 2002

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching UFC 35's main event between BJ Penn and Jens Pulver for the first time on Fight Pass. It was a good back and forth fight. I scored it 4-1 for Pulver.

Anyways, midway through the fourth round I heard some interesting quotes from the commentary.

Osbourne: I don't think you'll see anymore out-of-shape, big, heavy guys in here. This is what these guys do for a living. This is the new sport.

Goldberg: If you do they won't be in here very long.

15 years on, we're still seeing this. Atleast when it comes to the lower end of the HW division. Black Beast gassed out in the 4th round a few months ago in the main event. This is a guy who has been in the UFC for 3 years(12 fights) and ranked in the top 10.

Just thought it was an interesting quote given how long ago it was. How much have things really changed since then? Thoughts?

Last edited:
The only outta shape heavy guys are in the HW division for the most part. And that division has always been by far the weakest

You

know

Roy Jones Jr.

respects

the

hands

of

Forrest Griffin

d8PbdxC.gif

Lewis is a 285 pounds heavyweight with back problems, hard to compare him to two lightweights.

You will never see guys like Lewis moving around like lightweights, it's not a matter of fighting ability, it's physics.

i guess training is an unknown mystery for TS

keep eating burguers

Back