Instant rematches are so stupid

too many rematches in the UFC. long time champs shouldn't get immediate rematches if they lose. completely defeats the value of the opponent's win. make the former champ get back in line. GSP didnt get an instant rematch h when he lost to Serra. besides. when has a former champ ever avenged himself in an immediate rematch? never.

the only time I want to se an immediate rematch:

if the first fight was RAZOR thin and/or a controversial decision.
Daenerys Targaryen, bless

GSP had Zero defenses when he lost to Serra. If GSP had lost that razor close fight with Hendricks and wanted a rematch he would absolutely deserve it.
Not very many champions have had immediate rematches.
Hendricks vs Lawler 2 was a FOTY
BJ Penn vs Frankie 2 was needed to shut up the BJ fans who couldn't accept the first loss
Frankie had a draw with Maynard and the rematch was one of the best fights in MMA history
Benson won a close fight with Frankie and many thought Frankie won the rematch but Bendo got the nod
Jose Aldo deserved a rematch vs Conor but it never happened
Barao was booked vs TJ and missed the fight with a bad cut but the rematch showed conclusively TJ had his number

Thats pretty much all the UFC rematches so I don't think it is as big an issue as you portray at least in title fights.

I don’t like it for the following reasons:
1) If the challenger wins it automatically sets up a third fight.
2) If the challenger loses for the second straight time, even if he or she is the best in the division, they will rarely get anther Shot. Example: Joe B and MM and Tyron and WB among others.

what if there's nobody in that line? what if the former champ has already beaten those in line?

Sick of “already beaten”.
In other sports they just face each other again.
OMG, they can’t do that AFC Championship game! The Patriots ALREADY beat the Broncos!
OMG, cancel the finals! Federer ALREADY beat Murray!

BS.

Put the former champ in line and keep the division moving to the next best contender.

OMG, they can’t do that AFC Championship game! The Patriots ALREADY beat the Broncos!

BS.

Put the former champ in line and keep the division moving to the next best contender.
Some fighters fight fewer than 20 times in their whole career. Most UFC fighters average 2 fights per year or fewer. Anyone who fights 4+ times per year is extremely active.

You see what I'm getting at? Stop comparing fighting to regular sports. It isn't that. It can't be that. This is the same reason UFC rankings aren't and can never be MMA's equivalent of a league table or the ATP rankings.

the only time I want to se an immediate rematch:

if the first fight was RAZOR thin and/or a controversial decision.
Daenerys Targaryen, bless

Sooooooooo you're saying instant rematches aren't stupid?

BS.

stop comparing MMA to football and tennis

I have only watched the first season of GOT...
139a701e-a24f-421e-b400-36716b04fa33.gif

But I agree with a instant rematch only in the event of a razor thin/controversial decision.

GSP had Zero defenses when he lost to Serra. If GSP had lost that razor close fight with Hendricks and wanted a rematch he would absolutely deserve it.
Not very many champions have had immediate rematches.
Hendricks vs Lawler 2 was a FOTY
BJ Penn vs Frankie 2 was needed to shut up the BJ fans who couldn't accept the first loss
Frankie had a draw with Maynard and the rematch was one of the best fights in MMA history
Benson won a close fight with Frankie and many thought Frankie won the rematch but Bendo got the nod
Jose Aldo deserved a rematch vs Conor but it never happened
Barao was booked vs TJ and missed the fight with a bad cut but the rematch showed conclusively TJ had his number

Thats pretty much all the UFC rematches so I don't think it is as big an issue as you portray at least in title fights.

I'm not saying these are all unjustified, but here's a few you missed:
  • Rizzo v Couture
  • Sylvia v Arlovksi
  • Silva v Weidman
  • Woodley v Wonderboy
  • Holloway v Aldo

everyone involved with Jose accepting this rematch so quickly should hang there heads in shame. TS you are 100 percent correct and now JOSE will make 26/26 on the prelims with barao

I have only watched the first season of GOT...
139a701e-a24f-421e-b400-36716b04fa33.gif

But I agree with a instant rematch only in the event of a razor thin/controversial decision.
remmeber in the episode where that thing happened? it was shocking

Sometimes it's the perfect thing to do

but ever since zuffa started to get ready to sell up

2011ish
they started to dish them out like sweets
along with undeserved title shots
sign fighters who were not worth sigining
putting poor fighters as main/co events

Instant rematch? Does UFC plan something or it is just whining thread?

If a champion has had a dominant run then I think they deserve an instant rematch unless the fight wasn't even close.

Anderson deserved an instant rematch with Chris
Aldo deserved an instant rematch with Conor(especially in this case where a long reigning champ loses in 10 seconds)

Back