Inside Low Kicks - Hajime Kazumi (Kyokushin Technical Breakdown)

Luv your technical rendition which was incompetent (mostly) as usual.... Let's see, ",,,his head was being pushed down..;" yet he [Shogun] had his hands up on his face.... think I'll stop there on that one...

Are you disagreeing that his head was being pushed down? Hendo was actually pushing down on his head. Shogun covering up as a reaction to what he thought was a jab compounded the problem because he couldn't see and react to the downward pressure properly. But his head was being pushed down. If you're saying it wasn't--look at the gif?
Yes, you are completely accurate in your statement and completely 1-dimensional by your boxing perspective... as incompetent (mostly) as usual....

Please stop saying shit like this. You don't know anything about boxing, and Jukai, as well as many others on this board, know a hell of a lot more about karate than you, a kid who doesn't even train in a karate style.

I do read books, and don't always understand them, you're right again! :rolleyes:

Don't always or don't usually?

Yes you are that AND MORE (See below).

Well one things for certain about you & training TSD, you SHOULDN'T. You by all accounts grasp simple concepts in fighting which you then have gone out and tried to pound them into other people.... with some success so you tell through the BIG NAME....

Beyond grasping simple concepts, that's where your ability ends....

KarateStylist

P.S. kick the woodpile and the termites pour out--SOOOOOOOOO predicitable..... :)

If you've got the ability, let's see. C'mon man. Stop being a chump and post video of you sparring, or hitting a bag, or even doing one-step kumite. Prove to everyone that you actually train and have some actual understanding of fighting full contact because, by all indicators, you don't know a damn thing about the art.

Edit: And, in regards to your moronic reply to SAAMAG just now, and because you obviously don't understand boxing, I'll spell out the flaw in your argument for you. Shogun is not a good boxer. Not in the slightest. He has poor footwork, no jab, poor positioning, and awful defense. All he has is power in his hands and he used to have speed in his kicks. So you trying to find flaws in some "boxing theory" that you just made up really won't work if Shogun is your example of the flaws of boxing. Because Shogun can't box.

1. I don't post a lot, but I just have to, especially after reading your post man.

2. KarateStylist, have you ever, once in your life, sparred, full-contact, with clinches and punches to the face with a boxer/thai boxer?

On 1., Thanks for joining in.... You should also ask if I've fought multiple opponents, like I'm doing now.... (I think.) Successfully fighting multiple opponents, like most experienced martial artists will tell you, is very, very problematic.

On 2., I've already commented on my full contact experience. I have experienced opponent's grapping me and clinching out of frustration or desperation, although this is prohibited by TSD free sparring rules, or making karate salads, etc. And them breaking other rules such as by going full contact or losing control mentally.... Seems like deja vu......

Since clinching or grapping is so infrequent, it has caught me by surprise. However, TSD has self-defense moves for certain grabbing situations and I have experienced some grappling arts....

On taking punches to the head after being grabbed.... has never happened because you will find you fist in your face as you get too close or when 1st making contact.

People assume clinching will work against a karateka when it will not work against a traditionalist trained for self defense. You don't react to the clinch, you defeat it by attacking the opponent.... The clinch or attempt to do so necessarily creates vulnerabilities in the opponent, including his head.... dumboooossss..... I mean really....

The clinch or grabbing of you by the opponent can really through you off, create problems. Overcome them.... You guys act as if the clinch shuts you down.

KarateStylist

On 2., I've already commented on my full contact experience. I have experienced opponent's grapping me and clinching out of frustration or desperation, although this is prohibited by TSD free sparring rules, or making karate salads, etc. And them breaking other rules such as by going full contact or losing control mentally.... Seems like deja vu......

Since clinching or grapping is so infrequent, it has caught me by surprise. However, TSD has self-defense moves for certain grabbing situations and I have experienced some grappling arts....

KarateStylist

So, all in all, you have never went full-contact sparring with a relatively skilled boxer/thaiboxer/mma fighter?

Luv your technical rendition which was incompetent (mostly) as usual.... Let's see, ",,,his head was being pushed down..;" yet he [Shogun] had his hands up on his face.... think I'll stop there on that one...
This proves nothing. You're just typing.

Yes, you are completely accurate in your statement and completely 1-dimensional by your boxing perspective... as incompetent (mostly) as usual....
Actually, this is absolutely a Karate principle I learned--- Keep your hands OUT to prevent your opponent from closing in. This is something you should have learned while fighting all the made up opponents you gloat about beating

I do read books, and don't always understand them, you're right again! :rolleyes:

You can take out always and you'd be correct in this statement.

Yes you are that AND MORE (See below).

Another part of your shitty, worthless posting style. Why the fuck would you quote me, tell me to see below, and quote me again? This is why no one reads your shit.

Well one things for certain about you & training TSD, you SHOULDN'T. You by all accounts grasp simple concepts in fighting which you then have gone out and tried to pound them into other people.... with some success so you tell through the BIG NAME....

Beyond grasping simple concepts, that's where your ability ends....

I'd rather be the one who can grasp simple concepts than the one making up advanced ones.

P.S. kick the woodpile and the termites pour out--SOOOOOOOOO predicitable..... :)

P.S. You spelled 'predictable' wrong. Not that spelling it correctly would have made you look more intelligent. You're a failure and a fraud, and have been exposed as such.

So, all in all, you have never went full-contact sparring with a relatively skilled boxer/thaiboxer/mma fighter?

I'll spoil the surprise for you: he claims to have beat Karate dojo masters and golden glove boxers. He refuses to name them.

DON'T GET UPSET NOW, IT'S STILL A GOOD POST:
1. Are you disagreeing that his head was being pushed down? Hendo was actually pushing down on his head. Shogun covering up as a reaction to what he thought was a jab compounded the problem because he couldn't see and react to the downward pressure properly. But his head was being pushed down. If you're saying it wasn't--look at the gif?

2. Please stop saying sh*t like this. You don't know anything about boxing, and Jukai, as well as many others on this board, know a hell of a lot more about karate than you, a kid who doesn't even train in a karate style.

3. Don't always or don't usually?

4. If you've got the ability, let's see. C'mon man. Stop being a chump and post video of you sparring, or hitting a bag, or even doing one-step kumite. Prove to everyone that you actually train and have some actual understanding of fighting full contact because, by all indicators, you don't know a damn thing about the art.

5. Edit: And, in regards to your moronic reply to SAAMAG just now, and because you obviously don't understand boxing, I'll spell out the flaw in your argument for you. Shogun is not a good boxer. Not in the slightest. He has poor footwork, no jab, poor positioning, and awful defense. All he has is power in his hands and he used to have speed in his kicks. So you trying to find flaws in some "boxing theory" that you just made up really won't work if Shogun is your example of the flaws of boxing. Because Shogun can't box.

INTRO COMMENT: C'm on now, I said it was a good post....

On 1., The reporting on the exchange, the head's down part too, was fine. There's nothing wrong with the recanting of what happened....

On 2., On the 4-ltr word, I'm using one too. TERMITES = ANTS. First I compliment the boxing perspective, acknowledge your contributions ; then you say I don't know anything.

Are we back to the "stringing 2 thoughts together...?" OOPs: Should've said, "Aren't we...."

On 3., Ah, need clarification with all the ANTS {4 LTR WORD} pouring out everywhere.

On 4., You've been so mean to me, I may just start a thread sometime. Right now, though, I'm 2x YellowCard. :icon_cry2:icon_cry2.

Also, my mother said to never get too personal and talking those acronyms and stuff with strangers over the internet. Just look at the recent press.... there's where, "all indicators" should have been taken into account by hapless victims (like me:eek:).

On 5., Yes, I have to agree to a large extent. His boxing game, is rudimentary compared against one of you professionals, I guess.... But just as you complain about me, you're personally not taking him on in the cage.... so again, "Rots of ruck;" on stringing two thoughts together."

Traditional karate is a thinking man's game. You guys are used to going up against conventional karateka--the sport fighters like yourself.

KarateStylist

I have never and will never formally spar full contact. You guys would be out to kill me for one..............................................

KarateStylist

I have never and will never formally spar full contact. You guys would be out to kill me for one..............................................

KarateStylist

So basically, you're commenting - and forcing your opinion - on the subject of full-contact fighting, while you have never engaged in full-contact fighting?

That's hilarious! That's like a virgin giving tips on penetration!

You should stick to commenting on TSD sparring sessions, man. At least you have credible experience in that. :wink:

1. This proves nothing. You're just typing.

2. Actually, this is absolutely a Karate principle I learned--- Keep your hands OUT to prevent your opponent from closing in. This is something you should have learned while fighting all the made up opponents you gloat about beating

3. You can take out always and you'd be correct in this statement.

4. Another part of your sh*tty, worthless posting style. Why the fuck would you quote me, tell me to see below, and quote me again? This is why no one reads your sh*t.

5. I'd rather be the one who can grasp simple concepts than the one making up advanced ones.

6. P.S. You spelled 'predictable' wrong. Not that spelling it correctly would have made you look more intelligent. You're a failure and a fraud, and have been exposed as such.

By the nums, numbskull (that was harsh, SRY).

On 1., I'm just typing.... Right....

On 2., Keeping the hands out... a karate principle.... Right (again, that's 2 rights). On the MU opponents.... Well, I still beat them :p On the keeping-of-the-hands-out, let me add an Un Huh... OK...?

On 3., No, keep the always in there for the minor %.... ha ha....

On4., Not Sh*t, ANTS.... The 4-lter word of choice is ANTS.... You guys are pouring out all over like ants.... AND WE'RE BACK TO STRINGING THE 2 THOUGHTS TOGETHER {won't bother to explain; you're all responding but, but no one's reading?}.

On 5., Nifty....

On 6., What did Gunga di say, "Please sahib, 2x YellowCard no edit?"

KarateStylist

1. So basically, you're commenting - and forcing your opinion - on the subject of full-contact fighting, while you have never engaged in full-contact fighting? {see note **}

2. That's hilarious! That's like a virgin giving tips on penetration! {see note **}

3. You should stick to commenting on TSD sparring sessions, man. At least you have credible experience in that. :wink:

1. Forcing. This is why my mother never lets me get personal with whom I chat with over the internet.... You're like a bad attorney who asks leading questions in a bad deposition.... You need to rephrase the question to make the conclusion you stated.... counselor....

2. Virgin. Forum Jump.... :eek:

3. TSD Sparring. And Self Defense too....

** Note: You aren't say 12, cuz then I would be in trouble with Mom....

/---QC---/

Also I think Jukai hit the nail on the head as well, if you notice Kazumi always uses his rear leg for inside low kicks rather than the commonly used lead leg, even when the rear is used not many guys open their hips & hit like Kazumi instead they stay very linear - also notice that Kazumi always positions himself in such a way that he can fire rear inside low kicks almost immediately - one after the other - that takes alot of training with inside low kicks to achieve.

/---QC---/

The subject of this T is one-tough SOB. The emphasis on the rear leg kick is the natural power & coordination comes easier from the reverse strike, a big reason for the Shotokan convention of the reverse strike.

KarateStylist

By the nums, numbskull (that was harsh, SRY).
In terms of grade school insults, yeah, that cuts straight to the core.

On 1., I'm just typing.... Right....

You are.
For a while, I thought you were just smashing your keyboard and somehow it all formed words, but after reevaluating, I think there's a greater probability you are simply stupid. You sarcastically declared "RIGHTTTT" to Shogun having his head pushed down while his hands were still at his face, as if it was physically impossible. Or perhaps you thought having your head pushed down was 'besides the point' not realizing that it affected Shogun not only by blocking his vision of the punch, but by breaking his stance and forcing him to adjust (along with the kick).

Maybe it's possible you think "keep your hands up" literally means just block by keeping your stationary hands glued to your face. Even with boxing gloves, you can't block your entire face, you need to move your hands, you need to shift your body, you need to get out of trouble. I'm not even a believer of 'keeping your hands up' (I competed with my lead hand at chest level, sometimes lower) but you have such a misconception of what people are actually trying to say that half of the forum is actually taking pity on you.

On 2., Keeping the hands out... a karate principle.... Right (again, that's 2 rights). On the MU opponents.... Well, I still beat them :p On the keeping-of-the-hands-out, let me add an Un Huh... OK...?

Well, first off, you said it was a boxing principle and now you're double backing and saying it's a Karate principle. So there's a good chance you don't really have a clue what you're typing right now.

Also, I'd like to add beating up made-up opponents is a little less impressive than beating up someone in real life. That involves having a clue on what the fuck you're talking about.

On 3., No, keep the always in there for the minor %.... ha ha....

Looks like all that TSD mental discipline doesn't effect the part of the brain that contains 'wit'

On4., Not Sh*t, ANTS.... The 4-lter word of choice is ANTS.... You guys are pouring out all over like ants.... AND WE'RE BACK TO STRINGING THE 2 THOUGHTS TOGETHER {won't bother to explain; you're all responding but, but no one's reading?}.

Perhaps instead of patting yourself on the back for arguing with people in droves, you should try and figure out why no one on this board agrees with a single thing you've said.

On 6., What did Gunga di say, "Please sahib, 2x YellowCard no edit?"

Halfway to ban and a greatly improved striking forum.

Last edited:
NOW DON'T GET UPSET, IT STILL WAS A GOOD POST:

"...Stop tossing the salad;" seriously... is this how you impart wisdom to your future gym members...? lol

DID HE--WOW!!!! ROE JOGAN IS ON THE LOOSE FOLKS.... I did enjoy your read.... seriously.... No, seriously.... Now who's fighting Rua's battles for him from a computer console...? {SEE NOTE **}

Processing...? Sounds like a computer background, I'm impressed.... Let's see, "Either way if it's on the button you're going down---YET---"And if you don't know enough about boxing to understand it's defensive measures (which are second to none)...."

Think this falls into the, "STRINGING 2 THOUGHTS TOGETHER CATEGORY." Hey, I could be wrong.... :icon_lol:

Let's see (I've got to stop saying that....), There is no standard of adding space---YET---"...and that can be done a myriad of ways with just footwork alone irregardless of the hand position being used."

So Shogun shuffle step slides back, but that's not footwork (is it then, handwork?). Still takes a solid shot to the head, knocks him down. Despite the hands-up guard in proper position at this time. So boxing footwork which should work as a defense alone, and aided by the boxer's hands up guard, together a defense 2nd to none--results in a knockdown....

Hey, SAAMAG, it's where you're loyalties lie....

KarateStylist

** P.S. Yes, nice coaching call. The question is would have Hendo's forward momentum and speed carried the power right into Rua anyhow?

WTF are you talking about?! Rather then concede you don't know what you're talking about you're going to babble about nonsense. Everyone has explained the reasons why Shogun got nailed by Hendo. It had nothing to do with BOXING and everything to do with SHOGUN. He reacted in a way that opened himself up and got him hit. Not checking or evading the kick, dropping guard at the wrong moment, etc etc.

What's difficult to understand there?

DON'T GET UPSET NOW, IT'S STILL A GOOD POST:

INTRO COMMENT: C'm on now, I said it was a good post....

On 1., The reporting on the exchange, the head's down part too, was fine. There's nothing wrong with the recanting of what happened....

On 2., On the 4-ltr word, I'm using one too. TERMITES = ANTS. First I compliment the boxing perspective, acknowledge your contributions ; then you say I don't know anything.

Are we back to the "stringing 2 thoughts together...?" OOPs: Should've said, "Aren't we...."

On 3., Ah, need clarification with all the ANTS {4 LTR WORD} pouring out everywhere.

On 4., You've been so mean to me, I may just start a thread sometime. Right now, though, I'm 2x YellowCard. :icon_cry2:icon_cry2.

Also, my mother said to never get too personal and talking those acronyms and stuff with strangers over the internet. Just look at the recent press.... there's where, "all indicators" should have been taken into account by hapless victims (like me:eek:).

On 5., Yes, I have to agree to a large extent. His boxing game, is rudimentary compared against one of you professionals, I guess.... But just as you complain about me, you're personally not taking him on in the cage.... so again, "Rots of ruck;" on stringing two thoughts together."

Traditional karate is a thinking man's game. You guys are used to going up against conventional karateka--the sport fighters like yourself.

KarateStylist

Ever notice when KarateStylist gets pressured/ backed into a corner, his typing style becomes even more frantic, random and sporadic? I mean Christ, what does this even mean? Ants??!!! WTF??!
I picture him pacing around in his room, pulling his hair out, throwing things, screaming, slashing himself etc.

Last edited:
Halfway to ban and a greatly improved striking forum.

Can we have a petition for that? :)

Ever notice when KarateStylist gets pressured/ backed into a corner, his typing style becomes even more frantic, random and sporadic? I mean Christ, what does this even mean? Ants??!!! WTF??!
I picture him pacing around in his room, pulling his hair out, throwing things, screaming, slashing himself etc.

Made me LOL. :D

Best post in the thread! Lmao.!

First off Azam, excellent thread and write up...... good stuff, much appreciated. Damn shame this thread got so off topic, because it was well done by TS.

ive practised MT for years and to this day i cannot land the inside low for shit. I am orthodox and lets say the oppo is orthodo - i variously smash my toes into his knee, or get shin checked dead easy. I just cant find the route to the effective inside-low , for me its become a high-risk low-reward move.

And, my left leg is really good. Its very fast and very hard, even without a switch, and ive dropped people with it as a liver shot, so its not that i can throw my left leg. I just cant get the inside low to save my life, and yet its supposed to be the easy kick. :/

i see the k1 guys use it to start a combination but every time i try that, i get shin checked or evaded. I can use it at the end of a combo but not to start one, which is wht most seem to use it for?

I had similar issue with the inside low kick when i began training using the inside low kick to begin a combo. Here's what I found to be the issue and the solution, for me at least. First off, one of the mistakes commonly made with the inside low kick is that the kicker will lean back to throw it, that lean back is a dead giveaway as it occurs prior to the kick being launched and gives your opponent time to check. In short, you lean or pull back to throw kick, opponent leans back to check or just steps back and you end up making contact with the top of your foot or toes on the knee or shin of opponent (shin/knee vs. small bones in foot = foot's fucked!). Make the same mistake on mid switch kick and you'll end up nailing the bottom of an elbow with top of your foot, hurts like a mofo (seen fights ended this way). So rule #1 don't lean back to throw the inside low kick, pick foot up and quickly turn hip over without pulling head back (your head should actually move off to the right / if orth).

Here is a drill you can use to "get the concept" of not leaning back: Find a flat surface (wall) and stand in your stance with your rear heel touching or just a 1/2 in from the wall, then practice throwing that lead inside leg kick. If your shoulder/head go back into the wall while throwing the kick, your leaning back too far.

Additionally, IMO, if your going to use it to start a combination you have to "hide" the kick. This can be done a couple of ways

- Behind a feint: I like to feint or flick my jab up high (towards top of opponents forehead) then throw the inside low kick.

- Foot work/ foot feint: if your real flat footed or have that "stalking" foot work, it's easier to see the kick coming. Try adding a foot feint (pick up lead foot, bump hip, set foot back down and throw kick), the idea is to get your opponent to "check the feint" and then kick after. Alternatively, I like to just give a quick stomp or tap my front foot on the mat, it often will bait the same reaction, then throw that inside low kick

- circling opponent/lateral steps: for circling, instead of throwing that kick standing square in front of opponent, start circling away (from jab hand, if orth, circle right). Get your opponent to follow (moving to his right), catch him with that inside low kick in between steps. For lateral stepping, I like to do the opposite. I'll subtly take a short step or two to the left (towards opponents rear hand), wait for him to follow and throw that kick as he steps back to center (try to anticipate, start kick as opponent starts step).

While I enjoyed watching those gifs and agree with some of the things you're saying, it's A LOT easier to throw hard and/or devastating inside leg kicks when one doesn't have to worry about getting punched in the face. If he were fighting in K1 he wouldn't get away with much of that if left as is.

What brings you to that conclusion? You realize that the clip posted by TS, first one, Hajime won that fight against Gluabe Feitosa who is/was a very successful K1 fighter.

As for K1, watch a Daniel Ghita fight.........

Last edited:
P.S. The boxing standard of adding space & covering up = useless defense. didn't someone just say that lyoto having his hand(s) down invited a KO? Well, here's where leaving you hands up invites a KO.... Go figure MMA coaches.... :rolleyes:

What leaves you with the impression that "adding space" is part of the boxing standard? If anything, I see Karate/TKD as being arts that rely more on distance/space vs. Boxing/MT? Simply compare the distances TKD or Karate matches take place at vs. Boxing or MT........

I.E: TKD ring size (olympic) is 12x12 metres, boxing ring or MT ring is half that size..................

Wrong. And unsurprising.

Leaving his hands up did not 'invite the KO.' Shogun had several things working against him at once--- his head was being pushed down, and his inside calf was kicked right at the lowest (and weakest) point where it touches the knee; this effectively broke Shogun's stance, forcing him to readjust both his vision and his base. At that split second where he had to adjust himself, he was clocked with Hendo's cross. Shogun's hands weren't actually on his face and by the time he looked up (recovering from having his head pushed down for that split second) Dan had already made his move.

If anything, Shogun's keeping his hands glued to his face allowed Dan to close that distance, but it had nothing to do with the actual punch connecting.

Your inability to grasp simple concepts in fighting makes me wonder if you even train TSD. I think you just read books and don't understand them.

In either Lyoto's or Shogun's case, IMO, hands up vs. hands down was not the determining factor in them getting caught. Both of them lost the battle for "positioning" and therefore lost sight of their opponents centerline (they looked away) and didn't see the punch coming until it was too late. Id say that Shogun lost positioning/sight due to his hands being glued up, while Machida lost positioning/sight due to his stance becoming to narrow. In truth, Shogun would have been better off with that lead hand being down off his head (he wouldn't of compromised his peripheral vision as much) and Machida would of been better off coming in more square or with his hands up (if you can't see what's coming, at least get your hands up). Effective positioning of the guard or hands, defensively, is dictated more by positioning of the fighter (control of centerline) than positioning of the hands......... at least that's my take.

Last edited:
I've never thought much about the width of my stance, other than that I stand with my feet narrow when I'm at kicking range, so I can throw either side and counter kick easier, and I stand with them a little wider when I'm close, so that I can punch easier and maybe defend in the clinch. What else is there to this or am I wrong at the basic level?

Back