Injured knee. Lift more upper body?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So i jacked my knee and need to let it heal up, which basically means no squats or deadlifts.

So I've just been doing my normal upper body stuff but it feels like I'm only getting half a workout. I still have energy to burn.

So in this situation do you work your upper body twice as hard? Like increased volume or do more assistance work?

Figure I've got two choices:

1. Yes, dummy, without those big lifts your CNS can handle more upper body assistance lifts and more volume.

2. No, dummy, you obviously have the ligament strength of Stephen Hawking or you wouldn't be hurt right now. Increase the load and you'll have a bad shoulder to go with your bad knee.

I've got a lot more energy for upper body work if I haven't spent time in the squat rack first. That doesn't really change my workout, it just makes it more likely that I'll make the reps I'm targeting and that the weight is going to go up next time.

You can never do too many rows. Whenever I can't do lower body, I make up for it with a shitload more rowing variation and volume. Whereas doubling your pressing volume can lead to injuries, the upper back can accept the extra workload. Throw in lots of shrugs and pullups too.

and gripwork. Lots and lots of grip- plate pinches, farmer's walks, static holds, weighted hangs, etc.

and if you cant dl or squat but still wanna work hammies and lower back, do good mornings.

How many times a week do you workout? I'd make a split like this if I could only train upper body:

Chest 1 (Hard chest, light triceps)
Back 1 (Hard vertical pull, light horizontal pull)
Rest
Shoulders 1 (Hard vertical push, light shoulders/biceps, Abs)
Chest 2 (Hard triceps, light chest)
Back 2 (Hard horizontal pull, light vertical pull)
Shoulders 2 (Hard shoulders/biceps, light vertical push, Abs)

I'd throw in some calf work too.

Last edited:
Don't forget Romanian deadlifts, weighted hip thrusts, leg curls, calf raises, possibly trap bar deadlifts and quarter squats depending on knee situation, thigh abduction etc.

Back