Inglorious vs Django vs Hateful

Probably like Django the most out of all 3. But i've been meaning to go back and give Inglorious another watch. Watched it in theaters and totally forgot all the details.

Hateful 8

The other two (both equally good)

H8 is a 3 hour slowburn, it took me like 10 tries to finish it but damn that shit's good

Inglorious
Django
H8

Loved all three but the way Basterds built and released tension was something extremely special in my eyes.

Inglorious
Django
H8

Inglorious is the best film of the three IMO, but Leo's performance in Django was amazing and I find him to be a bit overrated usually.

IB is the best film of the three imo; Hans Landa, the basement tavern, just too hard to fuck with.

Great memories of seeing H8 in the theater, projected in full 70mm when it came out, for the roadshow presentation; I went & saw it 3 times. In the dead of winter, which added to the effect.

DU is great, but it didn’t hit me quite as hard as the other two. Still love it though. QT is always a special ride.

Still haven't seen Hateful 8. But I'd rank Inglorious Bastards above Django.

I cant believe how many people have H8 as their first choice. To me Inglorious and Django are far and above the better films with Inglorious taking the top spot for me.

Inglorious basterds is great

Django average at best

Hateful eight? Well, dieser Film ist Scheiße

1. Django
2. Hateful
3. Inglorious

I didn’t like Inglorious. Really liked the other two.

Yeah the same for me, I think you could argue Basterds maybe has better moments to it but Hateful holds together better as a film, Django is fun but a simpler revenge story.
Django Unchained started as a rescue mission, the vengeance came after.

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Django
3. Hateful Eight

Great question. I re-watched two of the three recently. I always had Inglorious slightly above Django, but I'm willing to reverse it.

The opening scene with Landa and Lapadite and the basement scene with Diehl looking for Fass to slip up are better than any given scene in Django in my opinion.

That said, I like Django slightly more as a coherent whole. It's still very close though. They are both awesome films. A lot of people say Django goes to shit as soon as

Waltz kills DiCaps
but I actually think the ending is a lot of fun. The only part where the film completely loses momentum is the scene with the Australian traders. It feels like we've suddenly wandered into a different film and it just seems like a contrived way to get Django out of a jam.

Hateful Eight is pretty phenomenal. I don't think I quite rank it on the level of these two, but, again, it's close. It's a competitive matchup against either of them. Goggins kills it in that movie and Tarantino's style is just off the charts. There's also typically effective Tarantino humor with Russell and Bichir, etc.

For me, Tarantino rankings go something like

Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Inglorious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill
Kill BIll Volume 2
Death Proof

As far as my overall sense of it goes, I think the bottom three there are clear for me. The number 1 is clear.

But 2, 3, 4, 5 could be switched in any given way and I'd have a tough time questioning it. Each of those are really good and my ranking of them might shift from viewing to viewing.

Jackie Brown p4p underrated though.

Yeah, that's another one I've been wanting to watch. I really enjoyed Russell in Hateful 8, and to be honest everyone did vibe off of each other, but that's to be expected in a Tarantino film.

I freakin' lost it during Sam Jackson's monologue about his big black dingus. That part reminded me of how uncomfortable I felt during Pulp Fiction when we see Marcellus Wallace getting anally raped. It was just so truly unexpected and off-putting, but in all the right ways. To be honest, I felt Hateful 8 just tried too hard to get that type of uneasy feeling out of the viewer. Worst offender is when Kurt Russell's character gets poisoned by Daisy Domergue and he pukes all over her. It honestly felt too over the top for me.

Still, I've been putting off a re-watch for too long though.

The best part of that scene with Sam Jackson goading Bruce Dern so he can shoot him is when the music builds and he's like, "But this time he didn't beg to go home because he knew he was never going to see his home again. And he didn't beg for his life because he knew that was long gone..." that shit is palpably intense. Then it goes....over the top. lol. to say the least. But again, the acting between Jackson and Dern there is great.

The poisoning scene is decidedly gross but very Tarantino-esque in my opinion. Also preceded by a great scene where JJL sings and then with that wry smile on her face ends it with, "and you'll be dead behind me John, when I get to Mexico."

It's a dark film, man. But quite good.

Django of course.
Got to watch bunch copper colored aboriginal american put holes in a bunch of colonizers.

Great movie, great experience. Wood watch again

Django made more sense in the long run, Hateful eight went nowhere but looks better film wise to me.

Back