Inertia's Training Log

Been about 76kg recently. Forgot to update the last couple of days.

Sunday

Paused front squat -
105x2
80x8
80x5

Took little rest between the second and third. This was a terrible session really, felt fatigued coming off night shifts and had a massive meal an hour before the gym. Felt lathergic and couldn't tense my core well.

Strict press -
57x4

I think? Memory is hazy here but I was definitely disappointed with a drop.

Yada yada also did hamstring curls and hanging leg raises.

Monday

Power clean -
80x2
90x2
95x2

Still decent for the crappy bar.

Did some lat pull downs on one of the plate loaded machines too. I think I had 50kg each side for 3x7. Then 20 mins LISS on the bike.

Today

Deadlift -
160x1
175x1
190x1 PB
160x5 PB

Fairly big PB so I'm happy here. I didn't feel like squatting at all today. My DL feels weak off the floor but as all I do is SLDLs I'm not surprised. Lock out felt good though.

Paused front squat -
80x5

Eh.

Strict press -
60x2x3

Failed the fourth both sets.

Hanging leg raises and single leg hamstring curls to round off this session. Next training is Sunday.

Eating was eh while working this week, 75.1kg this morning, but I look maybe a tiny bit leaner. Good session today.

Power clean -
90x2x2

These felt really good today. I have a vid of the first set, looks faster than I expected actually.

Pause squats -
105x3x2

These were decent.

Strict press -
60x4
60x3

4th rep was perhaps the slowest of my life. But it went up.

Hanging leg raises 3 sets

Single leg hamstring curls

Plate loaded last pull down

Actually quite happy with this session considering the weight drop and how tired I felt pre gym. Sleep hasn't been great the last few days but power clean and press were both good. Perhaps deadlifting heavy in my last session did keep my CNS ticking a bit longer and it's made a difference.

Fairly good training today. 75.4 morning weight, but I didn't sleep well.

Paused squats -
115x5
115x4

I decided not to up the weight as I realised it had actually turned into a while since I last squat heavy. Good to get the same result at least.

Strict press -
60x3x3

Speed felt good.

SLDL -
135x8

Gym was busy today and the guy on the platform who I worked with was using a 15kg bar. I was aware of this but still made mistakes, I wanted 140 but oh well. Plates were hard to find and I ended up with a 10 on one side and two 5s on the other...they definitely were not equal.

Did some hanging leg raises to finish off and then bounced.

@Sano I saw you talking about neck stuff in another log. I don't know if mine really counts as an injury exactly, but I do tend to sleep on my stomach and a few times a year my neck will get badly strained. It does tend to affect training and general life when it happens.

Assuming I'm not really able to change the way I sleep, is there anything I can do to minimise risk of this? Any particular stretches or exercises? Thanks in advance.

@Sano I saw you talking about neck stuff in another log. I don't know if mine really counts as an injury exactly, but I do tend to sleep on my stomach and a few times a year my neck will get badly strained. It does tend to affect training and general life when it happens.

Assuming I'm not really able to change the way I sleep, is there anything I can do to minimise risk of this? Any particular stretches or exercises? Thanks in advance.
Assuming it's only a few times a year, and when you've slept a little funny, then there's a few things you might want to do. Hard to say without more information. How often does it happen, and does it happen at other times as well? How long does it last? What are your symptoms? Do you feel anything down the arm, or any tingling and numbness, or is is located to the neck and upper trap area? How well and in which direction can you move the neck after it happens?

Assuming it's only a few times a year, and when you've slept a little funny, then there's a few things you might want to do. Hard to say without more information. How often does it happen, and does it happen at other times as well? How long does it last? What are your symptoms? Do you feel anything down the arm, or any tingling and numbness, or is is located to the neck and upper trap area? How well and in which direction can you move the neck after it happens?

I'd say it happens badly about 4 times a year, but there's always a little niggle there. I am 'fine' right now but if I look to my right I can feel some pain and tightness. I feel it to the left of my vertebrae, when it's bad the pain runs further down into the back of the trap too.

When it happens I'd say it takes about 3/4 days for me to feel normal again. The pain never goes further than the trap, but if I remember right there is some tingling and numbness that can sometimes run into my left arm. If I force myself to I can move my neck in all directions, and I do try to do this when it hurts, but looking and tilting my head to the right becomes particularly painful and ROM is probably limited.

I'd say it happens badly about 4 times a year, but there's always a little niggle there. I am 'fine' right now but if I look to my right I can feel some pain and tightness. I feel it to the left of my vertebrae, when it's bad the pain runs further down into the back of the trap too.

When it happens I'd say it takes about 3/4 days for me to feel normal again. The pain never goes further than the trap, but if I remember right there is some tingling and numbness that can sometimes run into my left arm. If I force myself to I can move my neck in all directions, and I do try to do this when it hurts, but looking and tilting my head to the right becomes particularly painful and ROM is probably limited.
If it's only a few times a year and it subsides, I wouldn't do anything drastic.

A sprain or strain of the neck is a small tear or overstretching of some of the soft tissue and fibrous structures. Usually muscles, ligaments or tendons. It's not anything serious the majority of the time, although it can hurt and be quite the nuisance.

If you really want to sleep on your stomach and not on your side or back (I do as well) then maybe try a smaller or less tall pillow. You can try sleeping without a pillow as well and see if it helps.

As a preventive measure you could add a few gentle isometric exercises in your workout as part of your warmup. Like these:

and this

Keep it smooth and light.

Then if you are doing any stretching you could do a few of the dynamic ones here, if they feel good:

And remember to do some good full body warmup or the shoulder girdle and thoracic spine before working out.

Now when/if it happens again and you wake up with a sprain then I'd suggest:

Applying heat - it reduces muscle tension, improves blood flow. Some people like ice better at the early stage and then switching to heat a day later.
Anti inflammatory pain pill like an aspirin or ibuprofen, if necessary.
Relaxing massage - it reduces tension, improves blood flow.
Go for a walk outside or on a treadmill at a decent pace - it's a good way to stay active, get warm and loosen up without aggravating the neck and you'll recover faster.
Rest.

After a few days when it’s better and/or gone then you can start back up with your program.

That's what I'd suggest anyway.

If it's only a few times a year and it subsides, I wouldn't do anything drastic.

A sprain or strain of the neck is a small tear or overstretching of some of the soft tissue and fibrous structures. Usually muscles, ligaments or tendons. It's not anything serious the majority of the time, although it can hurt and be quite the nuisance.

If you really want to sleep on your stomach and not on your side or back (I do as well) then maybe try a smaller or less tall pillow. You can try sleeping without a pillow as well and see if it helps.

As a preventive measure you could add a few gentle isometric exercises in your workout as part of your warmup. Like these:

and this

Keep it smooth and light.

Then if you are doing any stretching you could do a few of the dynamic ones here, if they feel good:

And remember to do some good full body warmup or the shoulder girdle and thoracic spine before working out.

Now when/if it happens again and you wake up with a sprain then I'd suggest:

Applying heat - it reduces muscle tension, improves blood flow. Some people like ice better at the early stage and then switching to heat a day later.
Anti inflammatory pain pill like an aspirin or ibuprofen, if necessary.
Relaxing massage - it reduces tension, improves blood flow.
Go for a walk outside or on a treadmill at a decent pace - it's a good way to stay active, get warm and loosen up without aggravating the neck and you'll recover faster.
Rest.

After a few days when it’s better and/or gone then you can start back up with your program.

That's what I'd suggest anyway.

Thanks for the help, and I'll take this all on board. Much appreciated as I have tried to find comfort in sleeping in other positions, but I always feel the need to sleep the way I'm used to.

Thanks for the help, and I'll take this all on board. Much appreciated as I have tried to find comfort in sleeping in other positions, but I always feel the need to sleep the way I'm used to.
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been forced to sleep on the side a few times and I'm getting more used to it, but nothing beats sleeping on your stomach with one leg and hip bent and hands under the pillow for me lol. Not an optimal sleeping position!

Anyway, try a different pillow for that one, or try without a pillow and see how it feels. Usually when you have a tall pillow your neck gets extended and rotated at the same time, when sleeping on the stomach. Not the best position.

Anyway, hope everything is well.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been forced to sleep on the side a few times and I'm getting more used to it, but nothing beats sleeping on your stomach with one leg and hip bent and hands under the pillow for me lol. Not an optimal sleeping position!

Anyway, try a different pillow for that one, or try without a pillow and see how it feels. Usually when you have a tall pillow your neck gets extended and rotated at the same time, when sleeping on the stomach. Not the best position.

Anyway, hope everything is well.

Yeah I did notice that and I try to use the thinnest pillow I have. Maybe I'll try finding a smaller one that's still comfortable. I'll give pillowless a try too.

Same to you. All is definitely good thanks, there's going to be good PBs soon assuming my neck doesn't get in the way!

Today

Deadlift -
165x4 PB
150x7 PB

I'd like 200 before I start my new job mid July. I think it's very do able.

Pause squat -
105x5

Back was already feeling sore and weak so this was all I could handle really.

Strict press -
60x4
60x4

Solid progress here. Not ready for 5 yet but the 4th rep on both sets was much better than the 4 I did a few days ago.

Hanging leg raises and hamstring curls to round up this burst of training. Back again Monday.

Coming off night shifts and still around 76kg, so that's good.

I decided not to train yesterday as my gym annoyingly shut early for the bank holiday, I was tired and didn't feel like travelling to train.

Today

Pause squat -
117x4 PB
110x6

A tough set but I'm happy with 4, perhaps it would have gone better if I did do something active yesterday, but oh well.

Strict press -
60x4
60x4

No improvement but happy not to have gone backwards.

SLDL -
140x6

Hanging leg raises and hamstring curls

Eat big tomorrow

High weigh in of 76.6kg this morning, but I know I had a lot of food in me so taking it with a pinch of salt.

Today

Deadlift -
170x4 PB
155x5

Finally recording my deadlift shows I need a bit of technique work. But I'm very happy with my strength gains.

Pause squat -
110x5

God damn it's so hard after deadlifts.

Press -
60x5 PB
60x4

This however, went well. A PB I've been waiting for. The second set was awful, I was all over the place and couldn't seem to find a straight line. But happy with the first.

Hanging leg raises -
3 sets. Less reps than usual but I have improved at this. I keep my legs more straight and also raise them higher.

Single leg hamstring curls, was able to do 40x8 each side on this today

Been busy but mostly too lazy to log recently. Training has been going pretty well though. Moved from my place to my Mum's temporarily until I move to London. Moving sucks. Still around 76.5-77kg but I've been settling in, and I'm still happy as this is the heaviest weight I've ever maintained.

Recent PBs:
Deadlift 175x3 been a bit of a sticking point, but I'm certain I'll break through soon.
Pause squat 125x4 (vid below, now that I'm at a different gym with a proper power rack I'm going to start working with regular squats again too)
Strict press 62x4
SLDL 150x5

Hoping to find some time to get a few sprints in and time them soon. I miss it but the new job will make it easier to do this stuff too.

Yesterday

I felt really groggy and fatigued after my (last!) set of night shifts. I still feel behind on sleep today but I'm catching up.

Muscle snatches -
60x2 3 sets

Muscle cleans -
75x2 3 sets

First time properly trying muscle snatches. There's definitely a bit more weight in the tank for me. Muscle cleans were heavy but manageable.

Squats -
100x2 3 sets

That's right. No pause. Actually felt a little harder but I'm sure the speed will come back.

Seated Calf raises -
3x12

Did 30 mins on the spin bike to get some parasympathetic stimulation. This was a somewhat late session and I didn't want to be wired all night.

Today 76.7kg morning weight

Squat -
130x5

On the whole, I'm happy with this as my first time squatting heavy without a pause in a long time. The reps weren't that quick, but that's fine for now. I'm hoping i can get into repping 140 within a few weeks.

SLDL -
150x5

Last time I did this it felt very heavy. Today it was very manageable.

Press -
62x4
62x3

Neck felt a little funny this morning and on my last rep, i fucked up the bar path a little and felt my neck twinge. Ugh...feels crappy man.

Hanging leg raises 3 sets

Single leg seated curls 3 sets

I'm staying the same weight right now but imo recomping nicely. For a while my abs looked flat but now I've got much better separation again. My right leg is 58cm relaxed, I really want more of this weight to go into my legs.

It's evening but I just weighed myself at 77.7kg. Yesterday's session:

Squats -
130x3x3

Going into this session I felt a tad crappy with a cold. I think the night shifts messed up my immune system a little. I found it difficult to switch on but the first set was still decent, decreasing in quality.

SLDL -
150x8

I got a nod of approval from a decently built guy that I've briefly conversed with after this set. This area I'm in has nicer people than where I moved from, I've received a few compliments on my strength from gym goers who are in good shape here.

Hanging leg raises -
15, 10, 10

Seated calf raises -
32.5kg added, 3x12

Press -
60x5

I completely forgot to do this earlier to tacked it on here.

Seated hamstring curls -
Didn't make a solid mental not of weight.

Happy considering the slight cold. My last day of work is Friday and I plan to sprint for the first time in months on Sunday. I'm looking forward to that a lot.

Back