Inertia's Training Log

The best cue is literally just elbows and feet together. Think about throwing your elbows through as your feet are hitting.

Dave, the coach at Cal Strength, is always saying that to me, too. Elbows and feet on the clean and hands and feet on the snatch.

^ Thanks man.

Today was good.

Power cleans -
82.5x2x2
90x1
100x1 (equals PB)

Easy, surprisingly easy is all I can say. I haven't been over what I considered 80% on power cleans in a while, but I think my max is higher than I expected now. Perhaps even 110 on a good day.

Pause squats -
110x2
112x2x2

These looked pretty good watching them back actually.

Press -
52x5x2

Didn't record but felt like fast doubles.

SLDL -
125x3x5

Over all a pretty good session.

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I'll put that into practise on friday.

Monday session -

Powercleans -
85x3x2

1st and 3rd sets were ok, switched on a bit more for the second.

Sprints -
6x20m sleds, 6x20m unsleds. These felt good today, my free sprints felt quick, and from next week should be at an indoor track so won't have to worry about temperature and I can get some times again.

Single leg calf raises, seated and standing.

Today -

Meh

Squats -
132.5x2

Felt horrible, very slow and heavy. I felt fatigued all day, slept a lot more than usual and couldn't get any real adrenaline going for this set. Decided to call it hear and save my strength to fight another day.

RDLs -
125x2x5

Took it a little easier on these too.

Strict press -
52.5x5

Then some time on the spin bike, and quite a bit of time on some massage and stretching.

I'm still figuring out exactly how often I'm going to do upper body work on my program, but today I decided to skip OHP and bench while fresh.

Bench Press -
87.5x1 (PR)
90x1 (PR)
75x4
75x3
75x3
75x3

I probably should have had more faith in myself and skipped straight to 90. Even on the 90, the guy who spotted me said it looked easier than 87.5, and didn't look like a max effort. I probably could have hit it for a double without the first set, but oh well. I'm still happy with that PR, I've never been a good bencher.

Pendlay Rows -
75x5
75x5
75x5
75x5
75x5

Something felt off about these today, maybe it's because I didn't bother warming up (someone was doing powercleans on the platform with this weight so I just jumped in).

Then I did some one armed dumbell rows and facepulls with a different grip to the way I usually do it. Happy with this workout but I'm mostly looking forward to power snatching tomorrow. I'm not going to worry about getting under it too much, I'm not skilled enough yet to drop under the weight correctly. I'm just going to try and launch as much as I can overhead.

Sauna yesterday must have worked some magic.

Today

Powercleans -
80x1
90x1
100x1
105x1 (PB)
110xfail
110x1 (PB)
112.5xfail

Guess things could always be worse than a 10kg power clean PB. That's my first goal for the end of the year achieved, now I'm gonna chill and work with percentages and back to heavy squats, at least for a few weeks. Very happy though, 110 aint too bad for a 74kg guy on a good day.

Pause squats -
110x3x2

Mostly spent by this point, felt heavier than it should have.

SLDLs -
127x3x5

Now to rest until tuesday, routine switches around a bit next week to accommodate for indoor track usage on tuesdays from now on.

Edit: IG link to power clean vid https://instagram.com/p/9wUS89mv3u/?taken-by=inertiatraining

Looks like I forgot to log friday's workout. I don't think there anything all that great in it anyway. Managed a few 60kg hang snatches and a sloppy single of 65, it was eh.

As for today.

Back Squat -
115x3 (PR)
115x3
115x3
115x3
100x9 (PR)

Not bad, the set of 100 felt pretty good actually, I could have squeezed out the 10th rep (100x10 is a short term goal of mine, it's very binary) but I didn't want to completely burn myself out for the rest of the workout.

Powercleans -
60x2
65x2
75x2
80x2
80x2

Felt pretty good on these even after squatting. I'm really enjoying powercleans right now, I feel a lot more consistent with them and fail way less than full cleans, which is probably to be expected. I think I'm going break my full clean PR with a powerclean pretty soon.

Hip Thrusts -
80x8
100x8
100x8

My poor hips. I really can't figure out a consistent way to do these without feeling really uncomfortable, not matter how much padding I use.

SOHP
60x2 (PR)
62.5x1 (PR)
50x8 (PR)

Happy.

Weighted crunches (w/barbell)
30x10
35x10
35x10

Back to full body workouts 3x a week with high intensity. A lot more emphasis on lower body stuff though, for upper I'll basically only be doing SOHP, push press, chins, rows and facepulls.

Powerclean -
80x2
80x2
80x2
75x2
75x2

Wasn't feeling all the hot on these today, 80 felt fairly easy on Monday and that was AFTER squatting, I just didn't feel like I was warmed up enough to do these. A guy at my gym did compliment my bar speed on the first set of 75 though, so I guess I must have been doing better than I was feeling.

I tried the Klokov complex for the first time to warm up with, 40kg and then 70kg. 70 was harder than I expected but I do think I could do more on a good day. (For those who don't know, Klokov complex is deadlift, clean, paused front squat, push press, pause jerk)

Back Squat -
90x8
100x8
100x8
100x8

I surprised myself on these, I guess I must have gotten stronger because I doubt I could have done that 2 weeks ago. The last time I squatted for volume I did 3x95kgx10 and it killed me, this didn't feel nearly as gruelling.

SLDLs -
110x5
110x5
110x5
110x5

Good enough

Facepulls and external rotations to offset the shoulder pain that was creeping back (entirely in my left this time).

A vid from the other day's workout:
[YT]CkeIfMDzIeI[/YT]

Today I didn't have a very big breakfast and it was longer before training than I usually eat. When I got to the gym all I could think about was how hungry I felt, but I still made progress.

Push Press -
80x1
85x1 (PR)
87.5x- failed
75x1

That last set was meant to be a 4 rep set, but I felt so slow (and I think my back arched a lot to get the weight up) so I just decided to call it a day.

Deficit Deadlifts -
100x4
100x4
100x4
110x4

Meh

Pendlay Rows -
70x5
70x5
70x5
70x5

Band Assisted Standing Roll outs -
4x5

Facepulls and external rotations

My push press PR from a dew days back.

[YT]kE1KF-qeDZY[/YT]

Forgot to log on Monday but it doesn't really matter anyway. Training was meh. I've had too many sessions like that recently, I need to fix my sleep schedule and diet because it has me all over the place. I made up for Monday today though.

[YT]n_YBMqBzJUM[/YT]

Powercleans -
85x1
90x1
95x1 (PR)
90x1
90-x

These felt good today. I don't actually think I'm any stronger since I last made a PR, which was 90, I think I was just switched on and motivated enough to try for more today.

Pause Squats -
90x3
100x3
100x3
100x3

First time doing these, I like them. I think for now, all my low rep stuff will be paused with a ever so slightly wider stance to emphasize the glutes a bit more. Higher rep work will be done close stance with no pause, I wouldn't go as far as to say bounced, I'm not very good at bouncing. Rather I just won't be stopping at the bottom.

Regular Squat back off set -
90x12

I should have pushed myself more on these, I didn't even struggle THAT much on the last couple of reps. I should have stuck with 100 or 95 at the minimum.

Hip Thrusts -
90x8
110x8 (PR)
110x8
110x7

Heaviest I've gone on these yet. On the last set I hurt my hip mid rep, so I decided to just stop.

Chin Ups -

Jesus Christ I've never had a lat pump like this before in my life, and I have no idea why, chin ups have never really affected my lats before. Hell, I don't think I've ever had a lat pump before...

External rotations to finish off

Great session today

Push Press -
75x3 (PR)
75x3
75x3
75x3

Hang Cleans
60x3
60x3

Decided to abandon these as controlling the weight down was bugging my shoulder.

Deadlift -
130x2
140x1
145x1 (PR)
150x1 (PR)
155x1 (PR)
160x1 (PR)
120x10/11 (PR)

Huh...how about that. I consider my deadlifts with and without straps as separate PRs. My strapless PR was 140 and with straps it was 145. The stars must have aligned today because everything was flying up. I think if I was fresh and didn't exhaust myself with all the 5kg increments I may actually be good for 170. That would over 2.3x bodyweight so I'd be pretty satisfied with it.

I had no issues hook gripping 160 either, didn't bother me at all.

The back off set felt too easy, I should have done 130. I actually lost count of the reps, hence the 10/11. I could have done more (even though my heart was beating like hell after).

Core work and facepulls after

[YT]WhFseO3mV1Y[/YT]

My deadlift from yesterday. I'm going have to think a little about how I'm going to get heavier than this. The bumper plates at my gym can be pretty awkward if you're going reasonably heavy, just look at those 20s near the end, they're enormous. Should be ok if I use less of the 10s though.

Forgot to update yesterday's workout.

Pause Squats -
105x3 (PR)
105x3

Close stance unpaused -
100x10 (PR)

This set gassed the hell out of me, took me ages to recover.

OHP -
55x2
65x-
50x9 (PR)

I think I can hit that 65 single, but today wasn't the day.

I went on to do powercleans and SLDLs but I don't really remember the specifics though, nothing impressive, I think I was still affected from squatting.

Band assisted standing roll outs
3x5

Then did some snatch technique work to finish off, I haven't done much snatching lately and since I'm going to a Klokov seminar this weekend I really want to get my technique at least back to where it was.

[YT]WhFseO3mV1Y[/YT]

My deadlift from yesterday. I'm going have to think a little about how I'm going to get heavier than this. The bumper plates at my gym can be pretty awkward if you're going reasonably heavy, just look at those 20s near the end, they're enormous. Should be ok if I use less of the 10s though.

Good deadlift. Especially with the hookgrip. Good luck with the bumper situation, I would advise just using metal plates.

Thanks man, I think I may have to go down that route, it makes me feel guilty dropping non-bumpers on the platform since I don't like lowering the weight, but I guess it's built to take stuff like that.

You shouldn't be dropping deadlifts, anyway.

Plus, it isn't platform that is going to be destroyed from that. It is going to be whatever bar you're using that takes all the damage.

You shouldn't be dropping deadlifts, anyway.

As much as I respect your knowledge/experience, I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this because I disagree. Sure, I don't need to be dropping them the way that I am, right from the top. But depending on your reason for deadlifting, I don't see the need to eccentrically lower it.

Plus, it isn't platform that is going to be destroyed from that. It is going to be whatever bar you're using that takes all the damage.

Yeah I know, that's where the guilt stems from anyway. We have two decent bars at my gym and one of them is slightly bent from a previous accident.

Today

Powercleans -
85x2 (PR)
85x2
90x1, psyched myself out for the double
80x2
80x2

I was going to stick with 85 for every set, but someone said it looked too easy, I kinda wish I hadn't gone up though. I'm starting to develop bad habits on my powerclean, I'm not getting under it at all, I'm just expecting the bar to keep travelling up, which is obviously great for power but it's going to hold my weights back.

Regular back squats -
110x5
110x5
110x5
110x5
110x5

Technically not a PR but I felt great about them, it's a huge volume PR though, felt pretty good on every set.

Pendlay Rows -
75x5
75x5
77.5x5

Hip Thrusts -
Can't really remember the weights

Facepulls

As much as I respect your knowledge/experience, I'd like to hear your reasoning behind this because I disagree. Sure, I don't need to be dropping them the way that I am, right from the top. But depending on your reason for deadlifting, I don't see the need to eccentrically lower it.

Yeah I know, that's where the guilt stems from anyway. We have two decent bars at my gym and one of them is slightly bent from a previous accident.

Well, for one, and the main reason, would be the damage to the equipment once you start using iron plates. Two, powerlifters don't drop deadlifts, so why should anyone else? Three, if you're going to do deadlifts, do the full movement. You're not strong enough to warrant cutting out half of the movement. If you want to do clean pulls and drop it, that is one thing (although I still think you should ride them down, at the very least) but deadlifts aren't clean pulls.

None of that is meant as a shot at you, by the way. That is just my opinion. If I were to deadlift, I don't think I am strong enough to warrant cutting out half the movement, either.

Well, for one, and the main reason, would be the damage to the equipment once you start using iron plates. Two, powerlifters don't drop deadlifts, so why should anyone else? Three, if you're going to do deadlifts, do the full movement. You're not strong enough to warrant cutting out half of the movement. If you want to do clean pulls and drop it, that is one thing (although I still think you should ride them down, at the very least) but deadlifts aren't clean pulls.

None of that is meant as a shot at you, by the way. That is just my opinion. If I were to deadlift, I don't think I am strong enough to warrant cutting out half the movement, either.

I will reluctantly stop dropping it when I switch plates, that is literally my only reason for doing so though. Dropping deadlifts at a powerlifting meet will get you red lights, so it's only logical that they train in the same way, otherwise I suspect it would be different.

Dropping deadlifts seems like another one of those topics where if you ask multiple different coaches you'll get multiple different answers, I don't agree that lowering the weight is half the movement, I see picking the bar up and locking it out as the full movement. That depends on your own perspective, there is no right or wrong way to look at it.

I will have to stop dropping them when I get heavier, but I wouldn't if we had a good selection of olympic style bumper plates. I'm not taking it personally of course, we just see things differently here.

Pretty decent workout today

Pause Squats -
110x2 (PR)
110x2
110x2
110x2

Felt like my posture was really good on these, squat position felt really comfortable today and I was nice and upright with a solid 2-3 second pause.

OHP -
55x5
55x5

Powerclean -
I don't really remember the specifics, did a few doubles up to a single of 90, felt heavier than I wanted so I just went back to 80 and did cluster singles.

SLDL -
125x5
125x5
125x5

I've changed the way I perform these, to the 'proper' way of doing them from the floor. Before I was lifting the weight up (or taking it from a rack) and just moving forward till I felt the stretch in my hamstrings, then coming back up. I wouldn't say they were romanian deads since my knees were almost locked out the whole time. But doing these properly the last couple of sessions has felt great, really noticably in my hamstrings and I can pull more weight easily. These sets of 125 were extremely slow and controlled, I could have gone heavier.

Facepulls

Done

My workout from yesterday

Push press -
80x1
80x1
80x1

80 felt heavy today, leg drive was throwing it up easily but it wasn't smooth, kept getting caught off guard during the lock out and grinding through the last couple of inches.

Dead lift -
160x2 (PR)
150x2
140x2
125x9

Every one single one of those god damn sets felt exactly the same weight. No way did it feel like I took 10kg off each time. I didn't feel as strong pulling 160 today as I did the other week, but I still managed to get a double so I'm happy.

Barbell crunches -
30x10
30x10

Was aiming to hit 4 sets but ended up getting sucked into an interesting conversation and cooling down way too much. Not fussed though, I feel the dead lift portion of my work made the whole thing worth doing.

Back