Independent fighters

j123

500-0-1
@Gold
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here has gone down this route. Its something I've been wondering, do fight coordinators check with your coach or do they sign you up for an event no questions asked?

I'm wondering actually, in the event if I end up estranged from my gym and want to compete still, its something I've been thinking about.

I'm referring to amateur though, not pro.

In what sport? As far as I know and can guesstimate all organizations will require you to have an authorized club.. in some countries you can have a 1-man-gym though but probably not most.

And most(almost all) clubs will not support you entering the ring without them training you beforehand.. trainer-pride and such bullshit( I call it bullshit as in this case it's pure bullshit -> why does every trainer/club have to be 100% responsible of their fighters?? By the end of the day they are not either way.. but I guess they are afraid of having to make excuses of why "their" fighter lost or had poor technique etc.) Ofcourse they don't want to be part of you taking water over your head and get hurt, also, but, it's a bit shitty by them to think they have to be caretakers/guardians of people who want to fight.

IMO they should help out all who wants to fight, even if they don't want to submit to trainer/clubs way of doing things/training/fighting. But this is so rare i've barely ever seen it(not counting my current "trainer")

The sad reality, IMO.

Depends on your state and how big the event imo. Im sure most amateur or smaller promotions would just be happy that another fighter is willing to fight for free

I am in Europe so, i don't really know if it helps. I had some fights with just a friend from the gym in my corner. I even had one MT match with my TKD instructor signing as my coach. But it really depends on the organization. Some bouts where more like smokers between gyms, with opponents just been friends of friends who trains.
Other where more in the gray area... And that means also a lot of shady things, mismatches in weight, experience etc. Not proper medical examination or treatment.

So better trust the organization, or really trust your skills...

In what sport? As far as I know and can guesstimate all organizations will require you to have an authorized club.. in some countries you can have a 1-man-gym though but probably not most.

And most(almost all) clubs will not support you entering the ring without them training you beforehand.. trainer-pride and such bullshit( I call it bullshit as in this case it's pure bullshit -> why does every trainer/club have to be 100% responsible of their fighters?? By the end of the day they are not either way.. but I guess they are afraid of having to make excuses of why "their" fighter lost or had poor technique etc.) Ofcourse they don't want to be part of you taking water over your head and get hurt, also, but, it's a bit shitty by them to think they have to be caretakers/guardians of people who want to fight.

IMO they should help out all who wants to fight, even if they don't want to submit to trainer/clubs way of doing things/training/fighting. But this is so rare i've barely ever seen it(not counting my current "trainer")

The sad reality, IMO.
Muay thai or MMA

My coach is great for technique and tactics, but he's very old fashioned about weight classes. Sees everything too much based on height. Oh, you opponent is 2"+ taller, looks like you have go down to the lower weight class. btw I don't want you cutting more than 5-10lbs of water, its not safe.
I've always been a stocky type, and have performed my best at a lightweight bout, some reason he wants me featherweight and lower. I'm normally 175-185 and fairly lean @ 5'9.5, but saying I have to be 150-155lbs walking is just bad. I would end up going against guys who are similar to my regular size but water maipulate it, and I would end up at a 15-20lb disadvantage despite having the "height advantage". I've fought at featherweight majority of the time and it has always been bad: I'm lethargic, weak, and have had very bad diarrhea on the day of and post fight. I never had that at 155.

So if he really isn't going to let me compete at my natural weight and basically making me kill myself to go to a lower weight class because its old school mentality, then I might have to look elsewhere which is what I was wondering. I do bring up evidence of modern sports science backing proper peridoization, strength work, total caloric + macro intake vs "super clean eating", and other stuff, but its usually for naught. I get some old fashioned counter to it, and either side aren't changing our opinions.

I really don't want to leave because its a great environment, my teammates are my friends, but if I really want to continue competing and I'm faced with ignorant ideas that causes more harm to me, then I might have to go elsewhere.
I knew something was wrong near the end of my first camp (it was a long camp, 4 months) when I was normally benching 225 for reps, and could barely do 135x3.

I am in Europe so, i don't really know if it helps. I had some fights with just a friend from the gym in my corner. I even had one MT match with my TKD instructor signing as my coach. But it really depends on the organization. Some bouts where more like smokers between gyms, with opponents just been friends of friends who trains.
Other where more in the gray area... And that means also a lot of shady things, mismatches in weight, experience etc. Not proper medical examination or treatment.

So better trust the organization, or really trust your skills...
Some orgs. provide a cornerman, a gym acquaintance of mine fought a match down in the states and they provided a cornerman. He went indy for that event.

Muay thai or MMA

My coach is great for technique and tactics, but he's very old fashioned about weight classes. Sees everything too much based on height. Oh, you opponent is 2"+ taller, looks like you have go down to the lower weight class. btw I don't want you cutting more than 5-10lbs of water, its not safe.
I've always been a stocky type, and have performed my best at a lightweight bout, some reason he wants me featherweight and lower. I'm normally 175-185 and fairly lean @ 5'9.5, but saying I have to be 150-155lbs walking is just bad. I would end up going against guys who are similar to my regular size but water maipulate it, and I would end up at a 15-20lb disadvantage despite having the "height advantage". I've fought at featherweight majority of the time and it has always been bad: I'm lethargic, weak, and have had very bad diarrhea on the day of and post fight. I never had that at 155.

So if he really isn't going to let me compete at my natural weight and basically making me kill myself to go to a lower weight class because its old school mentality, then I might have to look elsewhere which is what I was wondering. I do bring up evidence of modern sports science backing proper peridoization, strength work, total caloric + macro intake vs "super clean eating", and other stuff, but its usually for naught. I get some old fashioned counter to it, and either side aren't changing our opinions.

I really don't want to leave because its a great environment, my teammates are my friends, but if I really want to continue competing and I'm faced with ignorant ideas that causes more harm to me, then I might have to go elsewhere.
I knew something was wrong near the end of my first camp (it was a long camp, 4 months) when I was normally benching 225 for reps, and could barely do 135x3.

Shitty situation.. keep standing up for what you feel is best for you! Only you know at what weight you feel best.. you'll probably hate yourself for listening to him if you follow his advice and end up with shitty results. And if you already done it before please don't be afraid to put some blame for losses or whatever on this fact alone.. it's not an excuse, it's an explanation! Huge difference and the latter is so important to expand and come to terms with if you want to progress. Don't be afraid of making explanations of your lack of progress..

Ask your trainer/coach for a proper talk instead of talking while training/on the go and tell him what weight you will be at for your next fight. If he has opinions on the matter let him know that that's his opinion and that you have already made your choice. If he doesn't accept your choice you simply got to find another trainer/coach supporting/training you, as simple as that IMO.

i'm not a fan of the standard way where trainers want to mold their fighters and control them after their own knowledge/preferences, at all. Fighters should be independent and study the art themself, and form style and path after their own knowledge.

Tell your coach you don't want to cut so much and want him to let you compete at lightweight.

Promotors like to pretend they have this vast talent pool to draw from but the truth is there aren't many people willing to get in the arena and throw down. Most promotors are shady pieces of shit and are willing throw any warm body they can find in the ring that the state comission will saction.

Also you say you are normally 175-185, well which is it? 185, no you probably shouldn't be trying to reach 145. 175, then yeah if you're doing what you're supposed to food wise, 145 should be a safe cut.

I dunno about amateur but I'm pretty sure that Tony Ferguson is an independent who builds his camp around his opponent the way boxers do.

Promotors like to pretend they have this vast talent pool to draw from but the truth is there aren't many people willing to get in the arena and throw down. Most promotors are shady pieces of shit and are willing throw any warm body they can find in the ring that the state comission will saction.

Also you say you are normally 175-185, well which is it? 185, no you probably shouldn't be trying to reach 145. 175, then yeah if you're doing what you're supposed to food wise, 145 should be a safe cut.
At 185, Im about 15%, and if I really dig deep and the cut goes long, I can get to 10% at 175, maybe even 170.
I don't think I'm ready for a 20lb cut (water manipulation, including epsom salt baths), maybe in the future when I'm more experienced. The most I did was 15, and it felt tough, I might have 16 in me, but going over that I get a bit nervous thinking about it.

True on the promoters part, I know a guy who got fucked by one, he set him up for a catchweight bout against his (promoter's) guy and lied quite a bit to get it done.

Back