In terms of talent and skill level Gustafsson is at the same level as Jones

he has 2 contraversal losses to both LHW goats
And they are his best wins, two losses. I think Gus had a stellar night against Jones but people try to read too much into one fight. They fight 10 times, I got Angry Jonny winning 9 of 'em.

Gus proved this when he went to war with a prime Jones for 5 hard rounds. He showed that he is arguably the better fighter than Jones and a lot of MMA experts thought he won that fight and could quite possibly beat Jones if they did ever rematch.

Gus is the dark horse of the light heavyweight division. The guys who he has lost to have been top level guys and Gus could have easily won those fights.

I don’t think that Gus gets enough credit around here. Just because he hasn’t been champion dosen’t mean he isn’t one of the greatest lhws ever.

Mr. Wonderful submitted Gus with one hand.

Gus is clearly a very talented fighter. But at the end of the day unless he radically turns things around in the next few years of his career he'll always be a clear 4th best of this particular era of LHWs.

In terms of skill, he is absolutely one of the top 5 LHWs ever

I favour him over any version of Rampage, Wanderlei, Igor, Randy, Hendo, Rashad, Tito, Forrest
Vovchanchyn fought at LHW only few times and has no notable wins other then a win over Kondo other wise when he was at that weight he was fighting a HW

His best win is Glover. Jones DC Rumble he couldn't even crack top 3. Definitely one of the most overhyped fighters ever. Good title shot gatekeeper.

You must be conveniently forgetting the Rumble slaughter.

URGhrvm.gif

I DO think he gave Juicehead all that he could handle though.

To be fair, a) Rumble never got to fight Jones and b) Rumble can shut the lights out on anyone at LHW

Gus beats clean Jones. He’s a different animal than he was back then, and looking at him now, he wasn’t even fully grown when he fought Jones.

Please like anyone is clean......Half of them are put on steriods before there 16.

Someone please post pics of Rumble decapitating Gus, so TS can abandon this shit thread

Gus proved this when he went to war with a prime Jones for 5 hard rounds. He showed that he is arguably the better fighter than Jones and a lot of MMA experts thought he won that fight and could quite possibly beat Jones if they did ever rematch.

Gus is the dark horse of the light heavyweight division. The guys who he has lost to have been top level guys and Gus could have easily won those fights.

I don’t think that Gus gets enough credit around here. Just because he hasn’t been champion dosen’t mean he isn’t one of the greatest lhws ever.
No he isn't.

I wish the guy would add some kicks to his fights. His hand movement is great, but if he used some kicks, he could set up some awesome slips.
He stopped kicking after he tried a measly front kick against Rumble and got his brain turned into minced meat for it <45>

Gus THE most overrated fighter on the planet earth.

Agree with TS, he got razor close losses to two best LHWs of all time. He lost to Rumble, but Rumble can easily ko anybody, don't make the judgment based on his last fight where he clearly was for easy money and way out. But I' d also say that calling a blonde Swede a Dark horse is quite off.

Who has Gus beat to be on the same level as Jones?. He is just about hanging on to top 5. Would not put Gus above Jones, Cormier, Rumble.

Who has Gus beat to be on the same level as Jones?. He is just about hanging on to top 5. Would not put Gus above Jones, Cormier, Rumble.
You don't have to put him above them, however you could aknowledge that he is fast and technical enough to get a win against top opposition.

It's not like he's down on the level of, say, Chael or OSP.

Sure, he would still be the underdog, but everyone knows that he's got something more to bring to the table than these mid-tier guys.

Gus is pretty much on par with Jones. i've always thought this. he held up so well in the fight & gave people confidence that a rematch may harbour different results. no one else has done that against Jones.

Yes

He got knocked out by Rumble, and there is no shame in that. Anthony is heavy handed, and getting ko'd by him can happen to anyone. Ask Lil Nog, Manuwa, Bader, and Glover.

DC admitted he got caught more off balance by Johnson's punch than rocked, but those other guys the finishes were pretty brutal.

I'd say Gus is as skilled, but not as athletic. He also isn't as good as a wrestler as Jones.

The main problem I have with Gus is his inactivity. If he fought more, he'd probably be sharper and higher ranked, but he takes a lot of time off between fights and in his last two had to kinda warm up a bit before he got going. I think he should stay more active personally.

Back