In one video, Vice news shows how Democrats plan to continue losing.

I'll take this one. The recognition that labor is a commodity, and is dictated by supply and demand. That if you want wages to rise, you must have more demand for labor, then supply.

That what is good for GDP, corporate profits/growth, and government tax revenue, is not what is good for the American worker in our current economic paradigm.

Labor is constantly being replaced, how valuable is a commodity that can be replaced or out sourced outside of the US? The idea that someone will recognize the value of labor and share profits and increase wages is not how capitalism works.

I like how Trotsky just skipped town

In terms of short-term, politically possible ideas strong anti-trust regs and enforcement might be the most important thing right now, and the other top thing is encouraging urbanization/bringing urban housing costs down by allowing more construction. Encouraging unionization can also help (or at least stop actively discouraging it). More (particularly high-skilled) immigration. Shifting the tax burden from labor to capital. The EITC is a big help to lower middle-class workers. The economy is currently doing well and near full employment, but one of the most important things gov't can do for the middle class is aggressively promote full employment during downturns (first through expansionary monetary and fiscal policy). Child-care support was an idea discussed during the campaign that would help..

Anti-trust seems impossible these days of technology with Amazon/Google/Microft/Apple. All the other ideas may or may not help, coming from South America I have never seen Union as a good thing, but the idea of taxing more capital is great except capital will flow to where the taxes are lowest leaving people jobless.

Back