In light of school shootings,cliques, and bullying would you Home school?

In Australia home schooled kids doing news worthy strange shit is vastly more common than the non existent school shootings.

Home school kids are weird, haven't met any I would call normal.

the thing I hate about public schools teaching Evolution as fact and not opinion.

It goes against everything stated in the 6 days of creation in the bible. So if you're indoctrinating your children with creation and the teacher says mommy and daddy are wrong and what i'm teaching is right I cant get with that. Evolution as it stands is not just a lie, it's dangerous.

So which Bible story would you go with, Adam and Eve or the 7 days?

They are no less incompatible with each other than evolution is to either.

There are shit tier quality people (parents and students) in every school just like everywhere else. If you live in a bad area it would defiantly be preferable.

I worked with a home schooled kid once.. He picked up the nickname "foreskin" along the way. Nice kid though and a hard worker.

Greatly exaggerated propagandized ideas from the home school crowd here (mostly because you sound like religious nuts). Public schools are generally pretty good if you are a good parent who keeps up with their kids actions. The whole indoctrination, violence, bs is just that bs. School is a microcosm of the greater world you will be living in. Sheltering your kids does them no favors....sack up religious nuts.

It would depend on the needs of my kid. A lot of schools instill an intense dislike for learning, an effect which sometimes lasts for a lifetime.

LIB%2B%25282%2529.png

that's another thing I've taught my kids how to read from the bible alone. I'd hate to get all my programming questioned or even undone after a week of evolution non sense the public school system teaches as fact.
Still probably a good idea to talk over what they've read. The Bible is a huge book full of cultural peculiarities, complicated translations, allegories, and prophecies that tie things together. Adults can spend their whole lives reading it and still not scratch the surface of it's meaning, it's necessary to analyze it for more than face value.

I personally would homeschool my kids, but not because of the shootings. I think they're more likely to be hurt on the drive to school than a shooter. I just think the system is designed to get the majority through it rather than really teach and facilitate the ways kids learn individually.

I think a private Christian school with very small class sizes would arguably be better than home schooling.

however to find a Christian academy with sports programs is extremely expensive. And socialization...well I don't know how much things have changed since the 80's. But I clearly remember all of my public school teachers saying "you're not here to socialize" or "stop talking" lol.

I think the "socialization at school is important" assumption is nonsense. If you have your child enrolled in sports, music or some kind of group then there is no need to socialize at school. They can socialize within the group they participate in. The kids who turn out weird from homeschooling are the ones who have bizarre parents who completely isolate them from the world.

In many cases, school is a bizarre place detached from the real world where kids are picked on for the clothes they wear and real world consequences do not exist. A lot of people have to be unschooled once they graduate from high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Governor of Texas raised the possibility that the Parents in some cases could be held accountable. The reasoning was that the shooter got the gun from his fathers gun cabinet. I wonder how the NRA will interpret this possibility? The lieutenant Governor just talked over more talking points from the Florida shooting reducing the number of entrances and hiring more security personal. NRA going to be writing some really big checks to these Politicians in the millions. The NRA better conven an emergency session to raise 10's of millions from the gun manufacturers.

Nothing to do with that, I would home school in order to give my child a better education and encourage individuality and free creative thinking..

I think the "socialization at school is important" assumption is nonsense. If you have your child enrolled in sports, music or some kind of group then there is no need to socialize at school. They can socialize within the group they participate in. The kids who turn out weird from homeschooling are the ones who have bizarre parents who completely isolate them from the world.

In many cases, school is a bizarre place detached from the real world where kids are picked on for the clothes they wear and real world consequences do not exist. A lot of people have to be unschooled once they graduate from high school.

Word, plus you cannot just talk right in the middle of class. Socialization at the school, and during hours is very minute. You get more socialization at a prison than you do at school.

In Australia home schooled kids doing news worthy strange shit is vastly more common than the non existent school shootings.

Home school kids are weird, haven't met any I would call normal.

Yep it would be viewed with total skepticism here. If you wanted to homeschool your child in Australia I would assume you are part of a cult or conspiracy nut.

Funny that.

I'd homeschool not because of shootings but because education in schools is severely lacking. I studied at a private school and I spent most of the time sleeping in classes.
However, I think the lack of socialization could be bad. So, I'm not sure.

fuck yes i will homeschool my kid, or put them in some small earthy hippy-type private school that doesnt make them wake up at 6:00am to sit in a desk all day

public school is glorified babysitting, or prison, depending how you look at it.

I wouldn't home school I think it's bad for you socially.

I've found kids from private school, boarding schools and home schools were more likely to be a bit odd.

The nicest and more normal people went to normal public schools and i think its important for children's development learning to deal with different types of people.

No.

The shitty education you receive at a public school, yes.

I'm considering Home schooling my kids for high school....well not me but my wife.

I know the math surrounding school shootings is that it probably wont happen to your kid. I guess it's just the totality of Public High school environments that is cause for parental concern.

I have a niece that says in today's high school environments it's almost normal for children to experiment with homosexuality. Cyber bullying is pretty bad to were my niece had her phone taken away and even though it stopped the taunts she was depressed about not having the phone.

I was teased for being the tall kid but never bullied. I'm thinking bullying has morphed into some kind of psychological/emotional torture for certain kids since I graduated High school 25 years ago.

Any way in light of every thing in Public education if you could afford it. Would you let the wife quit working and home school your kid?
No.

Yes in this day and age with the internet at your tips you can learn and educate yourself about almost everything.

It also means that the temptation to only learn what you want to learn is difficult to desire.

School forces you to learn about things you don't want to learn about and forces you to widen your perspective and deal with people who will not always agree with you.

Back