In comparing Stipe and Fedor's credentials....

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Since there is all this talk about Stipe eclipsing Fedor in his prime as HW GOAT, is it justifiable to bring up Fedor's win against Hong Man Choi?

So Fedor/HMC was labelled a "freakshow" match, but I have always been impressed how Fedor struggled and eventually succeeded against that huge size difference.

Now, compare that to Stipe's last loss, getting KO'd against Stefan Struve, who is around HMC's height: can we surmise that Stipe's style is not as effective as Fedor in dealing with an opponent much larger than him? Struve isn't even as heavy as HMC.

The 265 lbs limit for the UFC HW division seems to "protect" UFC HW's from fighting 50-60 lbs heavier than they are. The skill that has always been the most effective against an opponent with a large size discrepancy is being the more well-versed grappler. Not just being able to land the takedown but being able to finish the fight on your back, to which there are only four HW's I can think of: Fedor, Big Nog, Werdum and Mir.

Does that even matter? Struve has been KO'd against JDS and Roy Nelson, guys with big right hands just like Stipe. Is that all you need against a larger HW?

Bonus round:

Struve > HMC

Hong-man was essentially a can to throw into freakshows, who had 1 MMA fight before Fedor and 0 semblance of a ground game.

{<jordan}

Counting that as a good Fedor win? {<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

EDIT: Come miss me with this bullshit.

Decent kickboxing career? <LikeReally5> That help his MMA career?

He lost every big fight he's had with JLBx2, Badr Hari etc IN KICKBOXING and lol he got given the split against Semmy.<SelenaWow>

He went 4-5 in MMA losing every freaskhow fight and only beating bums for the 4 wins that he did have losing to every legitimate MMA fighter he faced.<YeahOKJen>.

OHHHHH HE TOOK FEDOR DOWN? Maybe it was because of the ridiculous weight advantage that he had.

Face it, he's a massive can.

Anyone who counts this as a big win for Fedor, I dont want to talk to.

Last edited:
Or you could just compare their actual accomplishments.

Fedor

#1 fighters defeated (1):
Nogueira 1
Top 5 fighters defeated (5):
Nogueira 3
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia
Herring
Top 10 fighters defeated (6):
Coleman 1
Hunt
Randleman
Schilt
Rogers
Fujita

Stipe

#1 fighters defeated (1):
Werdum
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Hunt
Overeem
JDS
Ngnannou
Top 10 fighters defeated (1):
Arlovski

Last edited:
Struve actually is a professional fighter.

You wouldnt favor Struve in a rematch would you?

Stipe's style has improved.

Pride loved them Freak Show Fights. But he also beat the best in their Prime. Now Stipe... the guy is already breaking UFC records. Has a legit shot to be one of the best ever. Just wish we could have seen Prime Fedor in the octagon.

Tbh when comparing HWs to Fedor i'm more perplexed peoples be attached to "names" they defeated and not WHEN these names were defeated

Fedor fought lot of his opponents in theyr prime, guys like Stipe or Werdum got some of theyr "names" big wins vs fighters in decline or bad shape (not theyr fault but still)

If Stipe is champ 5 years from now, we can begin a comparison. Until then, it's ridiculous.

Top 10 fighters defeated (2):
Arlovski
Hunt

Both Hunt and Arlovski were top 5 when Stipe beat them.

Hunt - May 2015 UFC rankings

HEAVYWEIGHT
Champion : Cain Velasquez
1 Fabricio Werdum (Interim Champion)
2 Junior Dos Santos
3 Travis Browne
4 Stipe Miocic
5 Mark Hunt
6 Josh Barnett
7 Andrei Arlovski
8 Alistair Overeem
9 Ben Rothwell
10 Frank Mir
11 Roy Nelson
12 Matt Mitrione
13 Antonio Silva -1
14 Stefan Struve
15 Mirko Cro Cop

https://www.mmamania.com/2015/4/27/...-186-rampage-jackson-michael-bisping-rise-mma

Arlovski - December 2015 UFC rankings

HEAVYWEIGHT
Champion: Fabricio Werdum
1 Cain Velasquez
2 Junior Dos Santos
3 Stipe Miocic
4 Andrei Arlovski
5 Travis Browne
6 Josh Barnett
7 Mark Hunt
8 Ben Rothwell
9 Alistair Overeem
10 Frank Mir
11 Roy Nelson
12 Antonio Silva
13 Jared Rosholt +1
13 Matt Mitrione
15 Alexey Oliynyk

https://www.mmamania.com/2015/12/14...for-pound-king-ufc-194-not-conor-mcgregor-mma

Struve > HMC

Hong-man was essentially a can to throw into freakshows, who had 1 MMA fight before Fedor and 0 semblance of a ground game.

{<jordan}

Counting that as a good Fedor win? {<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

HMC is 7'2 and 330 pounds, strong as fuck but he wasn't slow like zulu...and he had a decent k1 career, if you ask me, did beat shilt whether you like it or not.

In Fedor's entire career, he is the only person to take down Fedor from the clinch, twice. He is a national champion in korean traditional wrestling, kinda like how lyoto machida was able to incorporate some of his sumo, you see.

Also, you probably don't know this, but HMC had his his brain tumour removed, but against the advice of doctors', did not go through with the hormonal therapy, which I think might have been similar to trt or whatever, that was suggested for at least a year, returned to competition, lost a HUGE amount of muscle mass, and been looking like a zombie ever since.

Fedor is the GOAT at HW.
If he had been a UFC fighter, nobody would dispute this.

LHW Fedor never cut weight and certainly did not lose to Ricardo Arona.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

HMC is 7'2 and 330 pounds, strong as fuck but he wasn't slow like zulu...and he had a decent k1 career, if you ask me, did beat shilt whether you like it or not.

In Fedor's entire career, he is the only person to take down Fedor from the clinch, twice. He is a national champion in korean traditional wrestling, kinda like how lyoto machida was able to incorporate some of his sumo, you see.

Also, you probably don't know this, but HMC had his his brain tumour removed, but against the advice of doctors', did not go through with the hormonal therapy, which I think might have been similar to trt or whatever, that was suggested for at least a year, returned to competition, lost a HUGE amount of muscle mass, and been looking like a zombie ever since.

He lost every big fight he's had with JLBx2, Badr Hari etc IN KICKBOXING and lol he got given the split against Semmy.<SelenaWow>

He went 4-5 in MMA losing every freaskhow fight and only beating bums but then the guy who claims Silva is a bum knows more than me. <YeahOKJen>

OHHHHH HE TOOK FEDOR DOWN? Maybe it was because of the ridiculous weight advantage that he had.

Face it, he's a massive can.

Last edited:
It's impossible to compare Stipe w the current h. w. Division being so weak. Most of the guys in top 10 are not even close to the top 10 in Fedors Era Pride. I think a prime Nogueira, Cro Cop, as well as Fedor would destroy the current top 10 with ease. Even prime Igor would be a good bet. Beating Hunt or Arlovski who are not in thier prime, whereas were in thier prime vs Fedor takes those wins away from Stipe. In the end Stipe is far from having a claim as goat. His k. O. Loss makes him instantly not on the same level as Fedor in his prime. People the the shell that's left of today's Fedor and take that into consideration which is wrong. No h.w. Even comes close to his accomplishments. As far as HMC... He would stand a chance vs any HW with his sheer size, but Stipe will never fight anyone that big due to weight. He was like 340. He wasn't a contender or anything, but with a guy that big its not impossible for him to win. Sure it's a freakshow, but they were catering to the Japanese culture. It's not like he chose the fights, people were no exactly lining up to fight him, people were offered fights and turned em down. If Stipe keeps belt for say 5 more years he may come close, but realize he is fighting inferior talent. He just decisioned a guy who doesn't even train on the ground. It's not a coincidence that 9.5 fighters out of 10 answer Fedor when asked who is goat.

He went 4-5 in MMA .

Mark Hunt says hi.

That's kind of the point of the thread. Fedor has proven himself against a guy with a massive size advantage, Stipe has not. How can you say HMC cannot take Stipe down with that size advantage?

gigRkm4.gif

Best-Cry-Ever.gif

That's kind of the point of the thread. Fedor has proven himself against a guy with a massive size advantage, Stipe has not. How can you say HMC cannot take Stipe down with that size advantage?

gigRkm4.gif

Putting words in my mouth? I never said HMC wouldnt take Stipe down, in all likely hood he most likely wood cause he'd out weigh him by 100lbs. You just wanted to use that gif, {<doc}{<jordan}<bball1>{<jordan}

Back