In an era of boring ass points matches

It took 13 minutes across three rounds for Hinger to Score on Oliveira. The first legit submission attempt was in the last 30 seconds of the second round. Grippo/Taylor had the first submission attempt at about minute 4, and I believe the first points scored at minute six.

I get that some people don't like seeing people play 50/50, but there was more action in the same time period from the Grippo/Taylor fight.
If thats what you want to call a submission attempt, go ahead. Watch the minute before the attempt and the minute after and tell me that is something you want to watch. Its both guys on their ass, staring at each other, Taylor is holding his ankle. The difference in action between these two matches is night and day.

If you want to argue they scored more because the match was longer, I can buy that, but the score was 16-0 and finished with a sub vs an entire match of 50/50.

The minute after, when they're both attacking toe holds? Yes, I did want to watch it. I was standing five feet away, and I watched it twice since it's been posted. 50/50 isn't my game but I was trying to figure out how it was scored because I missed some crucial stuff in person. Yes, more happens in ten minutes of the Grippo/Taylor match than the first ten minutes of the Hinger/Oliveira match.

No, it wasn't the most exciting black belt match of the day... I've attached a photo of that match.

Attachments

• brad.jpg
    brad.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 17
There are only two things more boring than this.. judo matches that get decided by a shido (penalty/yellow card) and the non aggressive greco matches at this year's worlds.

100 fucking percent on the greco. I am a greco fan but that was absolutely atrocious. Manville match? I was livid. I'm all in favor of dumping greco out of the Olympics, making it 9/9 for men and women's freestyle and calling it a day.

Is that Sadulaev in your avi?

100 fucking percent on the greco. I am a greco fan but that was absolutely atrocious. Manville match? I was livid. I'm all in favor of dumping greco out of the Olympics, making it 9/9 for men and women's freestyle and calling it a day.

Is that Sadulaev in your avi?
Aleksanyan and Manukyan were both pretty exciting, and actually made an effort to score; but I can't say that about the rest of the greco wrestlers..

Nope, that is Soslan Ramonov, he wrestles at and won olympic and world gold at 65. He has unfortunately been injured this year, due to a blown out knee. Need a change of av soon, lol.

Footsies from 50/50 are super boring. There shouldn't be any advantages for those.

They stopped giving advantages for near sweeps in 50/50. Legit attempts at a submission will still score one, and if you don't think leg locks from 50/50 are a legit threat, go watch Luiz Panza wreck fools from there... Or watch him break his fibula from a leglock in 50/50 against Pena.

Aleksanyan and Manukyan were both pretty exciting, and actually made an effort to score; but I can't say that about the rest of the greco wrestlers..

Nope, that is Soslan Ramonov, he wrestles at and won olympic and world gold at 65. He has unfortunately been injured this year, due to a blown out knee. Need a change of av soon, lol.

Ahh yeah I couldn't see it on my phone. He's phenomenal. I want to see him back on the mat soon, a little disappointed with the turnout from Russia at Worlds. I want to see Geduev vs Yazdanichirati pt 2

Ahh yeah I couldn't see it on my phone. He's phenomenal. I want to see him back on the mat soon, a little disappointed with the turnout from Russia at Worlds. I want to see Geduev vs Yazdanichirati pt 2
Yeah, Russia had a lot of newer guys. Sadulaev has not yet bulked up to the extent that Snyder, Gadisov had done. He isn't strong enough yet; nor big. After a few years he will be more suited to 97kg, if 92 opens soon, that is a really good weight for him. I would pick him gold for sure. Tsabolov had a close match with Burroughs, but Tsabolov hadn't looked good in a few years. He looked good this year though. Valiev.. was just doing minimal though ahah, he wasn't effective at all. He got a bronze, I think but wasn't ever trying to score good points. Rashidov was looking good, but couldn't get anything off vs Aliyev. I thought/wanted Khinchegashvili would have beaten Rashidov (thought Khinch got the final 4 points), I think Khinch would have beaten Aliyev too, for I believe Khinch is the best at 61. Surprised that Stieber got dominated by Rashidov and Khinch. He is a fun wrestler, but I guess he isn't ready for the best right now. I don't think he can beat Rashidov, Khinchegashvili and Aliyev, but he can for sure beat the rest.

The other guys won at the Russian nationals, but just lacked international experience.

When did stalling become noticeable as a problem in BJJ? I get the impression that BJJ and submission grappling matches in the 90's and early 2000's didn't have this problem as much.

I get the impression that BJJ and submission grappling matches in the 90's and early 2000's didn't have this problem as much.

Isn't it because of the nostalgia and because only the better one are watched?
There was a lot of stalling with crap judo, people didn't stall with fancy guards because guard work sucked back in the day.

Plenty of stalling from closed guard back in the day

Isn't it because of the nostalgia and because only the better one are watched?
There was a lot of stalling with crap judo, people didn't stall with fancy guards because guard work sucked back in the day.
They stalled there fckin faces off back in the day. Sit in full guard the whole time, pretty much. Sometimes I think they call stalling too much in ibjjf. Especially when guys are on there feet in the gi. 2015 , lucas vs jt torres really bothered me. They were having some great action on the feet and got called for stalling. This caused jt to open up and give lepri a easy takedown. If you want more exciting matches just reduce the time. It's shown itself to work well in the past. I do 10 minute rolls with high level guys and lemme tell you.... the first 2-3 is about nothinggggg. They also need to eliminate that double guard pull 20 second rule. Fckin have whoever comes up first getting 2 points. That shit would stop all that nonsense.

Btw stalling will always be here. You can't stop human nature. You may try , but they always find a way to game the system

Footsies from 50/50 are super boring. There shouldn't be any advantages for those.

What about when it's luiz panza. I've been developing a straight ankle/ knee bar game from 50/50. Once you start understanding concepts in the position it becomes SUPER DANGEROUS. Guys don't really go for leg locks with gusto in ibjjf. Mah boy in these videos really goes for em heavy from 50/50 and working with em changed my whole view of the position

Last edited:
Once you start understanding concepts in the position it becomes SUPER DANGEROUS.

If you actually hit the leg locks cool. Just doing them for advantage sucks or just trying ones that won't happen to stall and delay passing.

If you actually hit the leg locks cool. Just doing them for advantage sucks or just trying ones that won't happen to stall and delay passing.
Thing is sometimes the leg lock is a war of attrition . I'll keep spamming the same foot multiple times and get the guy to tap off just not being able to take it anymore. This especially comes into play with the straight ankle

Najmi and Hinger, these guys legitimately go for the kill. Compared to the finals I saw at DC open and this years mundials, these guys actually give something to watch.

Ya, they are great. Najmi is a beast. He has also been training a lot with Dos Anjos, who had a nice armtriangle finish in the UFC recently.

I wish Demian Maia would start doing armtriangles too, he gets to the mount often enough.

This was almost every match. I represented USA many times overseas, spent a good portion of my life wrestling greco at the highest level. I watch at least 30 minutes of wrestling a day, for the last 10 years. I could not watch greco this year. It was a complete waste of time. You had a guy win the world championships without scoring a single point in the quarters, semis, and finals. Terrible. And those matches? Still more exciting than the DC Open finals.

This sounds like ADCC last time. drawn out 30-40 minute standing matches where no points were scored.

Thing is sometimes the leg lock is a war of attrition . I'll keep spamming the same foot multiple times and get the guy to tap off just not being able to take it anymore. This especially comes into play with the straight ankle

If you just want to bruise the leg beyond recognition you shouldn't expect people to consider it exiting or get rewarded with an advantage if you fail.

Panza get super quick taps with his ankle locks when he hits it right (a lot of the time people tap quicker to them then say even a heel hook)

Ya, they are great. Najmi is a beast. He has also been training a lot with Dos Anjos, who had a nice armtriangle finish in the UFC recently.

I wish Demian Maia would start doing armtriangles too, he gets to the mount often enough.

Yeah didn't RDA bring in Najmi to help him train for Tony Ferguson? That was a smart call.

I won't ever criticize Maia's game because he's one of my top 3 idols in BJJ but sometimes I do wonder why he seems to pass over high percentage chokes from the top position. I guess he just really wants the back above everything else? Seems that way.

Back