improving wrestling cardio

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
how can you get incredible wrestling cardio when you have nobody to train wrestling with who's worth a damn? Not saying i'm great, but i have pretty good wrestling but i lack training partners as long as i don't get tired i feel i can take down any fighters until i get to UFC as long as i don't gas its the only thing in fighting that can get me tired due to not having partners to work with like i do with boxing and jiu jitsu.

Move to somewhere where you can have wrestling partners.

the problem is i opened a gym here 3 months ago in Mississippi so ill be stuck here awhile its great that there are no great fighters down here who can grapple so makes fights and building records easy but you wont get any good wrestling training partners either :(

I used to lift before rolling, and then roll with heavier guys. I often rolled with a guy who outweighed me by 70 pounds, after doing a few sets of heavy deadlifts. It helped.

the problem is i opened a gym here 3 months ago in Mississippi so ill be stuck here awhile its great that there are no great fighters down here who can grapple so makes fights and building records easy but you wont get any good wrestling training partners either :(
That's fine, just don't have any grand illusions of becoming a great wrestler or being in the UFC.

I'll wrestle with you.

Are steel chairs allowed?

Sandbag Turkish getups with a bag that weighs as much as you do. Finnegan used to swear by these for grappling conditioning. Or you could do some sandbag shouldering. Or both, shoulder the sandbag, get down, get up, drop the sandbag and repeat on the other side.

Do 50 reps in 20 minutes and if you can do that, increase the weight

That's fine, just don't have any grand illusions of becoming a great wrestler or being in the UFC.
I'm not going to go to the ufc until i go back to att or some big gym where i have at least black belts and wrestlers tot rain with daily i have the technique i need fine just need the cardio tbh sadly unless you are wrestling scrambling with guys who can stop you you cant develop the energy to go 3 to 5 rounds.

long distance running and distance/lap swimming.

I'm not going to go to the ufc until i go back to att or some big gym where i have at least black belts and wrestlers tot rain with daily i have the technique i need fine just need the cardio tbh sadly unless you are wrestling scrambling with guys who can stop you you cant develop the energy to go 3 to 5 rounds.
nhOxn7Y.png

Develop a good sprint workout. This will really benefit you. Lots of sprints. If you have access to a track anywhere near you, use it; if not, then use a field (road/blacktop being your last option, as it's the harshest of the three on your body). Sprints are great for targeting fast twitch muscle fibers, enhancing endurance, and improving cardiovascular health overall.

Shadowbox in between sets when you lift, and lift with an emphasis on grappling and cardio. In other words, think along the lines of moderate weight high reps doing deadlifts/clean and jerks, not heavy curls for the girls.

You can come up with tons of high intensity workouts that'll improve your cardio by stringing multiple exercises together. Like adding in sprawls between sets of pull-ups. Just remember the old saying to, "train smarter, not harder".

Also, sprints.

It's weird I see almost all wrestlers train doing low weights tons of reps ect and body weight as well yet everyone here seems to be all about heavy lifting for strength I'd like to know why that is I'm getting off topic I lnow

It's weird I see almost all wrestlers train doing low weights tons of reps ect and body weight as well yet everyone here seems to be all about heavy lifting for strength I'd like to know why that is I'm getting off topic I lnow
I work with a collegiate wrestling team. None of our wrestlers lift "low weights with tons of reps".

i see tons of vids of russians and others doing dumbell presses and low weights maybe for conditioning somehow

Sandbag training...I shit you not. Grab a 150-200 pound sandbag and train circuits. You will see a major difference in grappling stamina. You'll also notice that your breathing starts to work with how you grapple...Making you less tired.

This was my experience with it.

If you're at the level you imply you're at, you already know a great deal of sport-specific conditioning drills. In the absence of rolling/sparring partners, that is the most effective thing you can do. Beyond that, basic GPP helps...LISS cardio, strength training, etc.

I actually know this dude, trained with him over in Ireland when he visited and he was wrecking everyone there lol. He has very good boxing for mma , excellent wrestling from training with olympic level guys in Texas and is a black belt under Relson Gracie. His transitions are crazy good , always said be scary to see how good he would be with great strength and conditioning routine.

Last edited:
i bought the 8 weeks out joel book this last christmas. I haven't read all of it yet, hopefully by the end of it i can find where im at. And how to design my own conditioning program. I never worked on strength training i always just been a technique guy drilled alot the last 12 years i trained i honestly only did 4 weeks straight of lifting.

So i wana take time now to build a good strength base and solid conditioning. With Relson Gracie level black belt 12 years of boxing and i have good wrestling as well i think i can go far im not trying to sound cocky but i feel i have high level technique in each art i just lack being a top athlete for now.

I actually know this dude, trained with him over in Ireland when he visited and he was wrecking everyone there lol. He has very good boxing for mma , excellent wrestling from training with olympic level guys in Texas and is a black belt under Relson Gracie. His transitions are crazy good , always said be scary to see how good he would be with great strength and conditioning routine.
Ronan you Irish bastard Dx

Back