Impressive Wing Chun standup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyKong

Frazier > Ali
@purple
Reaction score
I was searching Youtube for a legit wing chun fighter, but I didn't find anything impressive. The punches are weak from that stance, mostly.

But I did find one kid which I found was impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP05PC3ReW0

He has excellent hand speed. I saw some really fast parries there too.

Not that he would excel at a Golden Gloves championship, but I thought it was very cool, so check it out.

EDIT: I also found this dude who does a great job of taking the centerline and advancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpLNp24UUM

Quite nice.

However there's so little punching power that a krav maga would close that distance into some violent standing lock with ease.

Good scouting. Both videos are very shitty. I'm sad that I watched those. You made me watch this and I feel you owe me a personal apology. It's the least you could do.

One thing that cracks me up about WC guys, is that all that perfect form turns into flailing chaos when sparring against someone who's not a WC practitioner. And as TS mentions, those chain punches are weak sauce.

They're pretty good at blocking punches, pretty good at forward pressure with all their center line theory, and the concept of chi sau is pretty handy... but other than that, one would be better served studying boxing, kick boxing, or MT for standup.

EDIT: To put my thoughts on Wing Chun another way, if I had to chose between studying WC or TKD as my only method of striking, it'd be TKD all day long.

Those were definitely very interesting. Wing Chun guys used very good pressure. I think the kickboxers would have done better had they not been so tentative... to use more strikes and put the pressure back on the Wing Chun guy.

I was searching Youtube for a legit wing chun fighter, but I didn't find anything impressive. The punches are weak from that stance, mostly.

Not that he would excel at a Golden Gloves championship, but I thought it was very cool, so check it out.

EDIT: I also found this dude who does a great job of taking the centerline and advancing:

Quite nice.

However there's so little punching power that a krav maga would close that distance into some violent standing lock with ease.

His punches might be weaker, but martial arts that were built for bare knuckle fighting have different sensibilities than boxing. I think I could take a boxer of equal size's best overhand right if his fist is ungloved and he is coming down on my dome. Hell, even if he kills me with it he probably won't be writing his name with that hand again any time soon. For wing chung, all those nasty little strikes to the face are just to distract you so that they can grab your clavicle or throat with their four-knuckle phoenix catch strike or something anyway.

I think I could take a boxer of equal size's best overhand right if his fist is ungloved and he is coming down on my dome. Hell, even if he kills me with it he probably won't be writing his name with that hand again any time soon.

An un-gloved boxer is terrible bad news. But by all means, feel free to test your theory of potentially being able to take 'dome' shots. :icon_lol:

For wing chung, all those nasty little strikes to the face are just to distract you so that they can grab your clavicle or throat with their four-knuckle phoenix catch strike or something anyway.

No, those little strikes are their primary punching technique, and the odds of pulling off some secret kung fu 'phoenix' shit are about the same as winning the lottery.

An un-gloved boxer is terrible bad news. But by all means, feel free to test your theory of potentially being able to take 'dome' shots. :icon_lol:

No, those little strikes are their primary punching technique, and the odds of pulling off some secret kung fu 'phoenix' shit are about the same as winning the lottery.

Hey, I'm just telling the kung fu side of the story. :p

Damn. I'm still a white belt. I guess Sherdog isn't a McDojo.

There's already a pretty huge thread on WC you should probably check out.

It's modestly large, I wouldn't call it huge. But that...and there's probably quite a few of them over the years.

Basketball went through a major change once they allowed black men to play. Long story short...they were better at it as a whole and heightened the level of athleticism to a degree that makes whites a minority in the sport today. This type of thing pretty much repeats itself in any sport the black man decides to engage in: Football, Track, BOXING, and just about anything short of Hockey and NASCAR.

So if a black dude can't make WC look good...there's no hope for it. Let WC die in peace.

(P.S. I'm joking around for those that get offended by this somehow).

Last edited:
It's modestly large, I wouldn't call it huge. But that...and there's probably quite a few of them over the years.

Basketball went through a major change once they allowed black men to play. Long story short...they were better at it as a whole and heightened the level of athleticism to a degree that makes whites a minority in the sport today. This type of thing pretty much repeats itself in any sport the black man decides to engage in: Football, Track, BOXING, and just about anything short of Hockey and NASCAR.

So if a black dude can't make WC look good...there's no hope for it. Let WC die in peace.

(P.S. I'm joking around for those that get offended by this somehow).

Now you've done it!

images

1. His punches might be weaker, but martial arts that were built for bare knuckle fighting have different sensibilities than boxing. I think I could take a boxer of equal size's best overhand right if his fist is ungloved and he is coming down on my dome. Hell, even if he kills me with it he probably won't be writing his name with that hand again any time soon.

2. For wing chung, all those nasty little strikes to the face are just to distract you so that they can grab your clavicle or throat with their four-knuckle phoenix catch strike or something anyway.

1. Boxing Punches. Forgive me, I'm not trying to sound dumb (be dumb), but the use of regulation boxing gloves makes a huge difference when fighting with TMA techniques.

For the most obvious example, ever attempt a knife-hand with full-size boxing gloves on...?

If we are talking MMMA, then the glove issued is minimized, right?

2. Wing Chum Punches Weak. I've spoken about this before. The body mechanics for generating physical power (alone) from traditional martial arts is different from the boxer's. Sure, there are similarities as well, such as in a right cross, right reverse punch, etc.

If you believe WC power comes from cycling the arms absent the rest of the body, then you are not talking about wing chun. In that case, you're talking McDojo-Chun....

Traditional martial art body power stems more from isometric strength, whether it be Shotokan karate or WC....

KarateStylist

For the most obvious example, ever attempt a knife-hand with full-size boxing gloves on...?

If we are talking MMMA, then the glove issued is minimized, right?

I was basically saying that WC striking doesn't capitalize on boxing gloves the way boxing does, because it was designed to be used without them, so I'm not disagreeing with you.

If you believe WC power comes from cycling the arms absent the rest of the body, then you are not talking about wing chun. In that case, you're talking McDojo-Chun....

Traditional martial art body power stems more from isometric strength, whether it be Shotokan karate or WC....

Boxers can throw harder punches to the head, and train harder punches coming down on the face and head, because they anticipate having gloves on, and anticipate hitting gloves most of the time. There is no way that a punch thrown from center the way WC does can be as hard as a punch with a full step and pivot that tenses on impact and comes down from a high guard. They don't have to be because they are anticipating hitting with a much smaller surface area.

If a WC punch is 1/2 as hard as a boxing punch, but hits its target with 1/6 the surface area, because there isn't a glove, which does more damage: the boxing punch or the wing chung punch? WC punches don't have to be as hard as boxing punches.

How many individuals in this thread practice any version of wing chun?

Quite nice.

Ving Tsun or Wing Chun isn't about power punching. I cannot fight it but, there was a video online testing punching power, amount of power per square inch. Boxing beat out all the arts. The most impressive thing ever was that, the Sifu for Kung fu did a regular punch, no shift or anything, no step, just a parallel straight on punch, and registered in at 700 plus pounds of pressure per square inch. Does anyone know how much is needed to put someone unconscious? How about to kill a man? That shit is incredible.

Also, it wouldn't work too well for mma since, chi sau is the main focus of the art, things like a lap da are removed. So, lets put it this way, it would be like a Wing Chun or Ving Tsun martial artists, lets say Yip man or Ip man, and lets say a mma fighter but, the mma fighter is not allowed TD attempts?

Yip-Man_234x361_insert.jpg

Its pretty rediculous since, a MMA fighter would mix it up and use attempts so, wearing gloves removes chi sau the main focus of the art. A fun fact, Bruce Lee studied under Sifu Yip Man or Ip man and got his red sash, the first sash in the art. He then left China and became a movie star while creating JKD. He never finished the system but, he was a true martial artist and had a strong background in general.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/m...ng-chun-legend-and-bruce-lees-formal-teacher/

There is a show that telegraphed some aspects but, the heart and soul of the art is simplicity and finding holes. I wish I found some where to learn this or something ancient with a long history.

I respect all the arts but, I found most clubs are watered down now a days as in, great art but, there is no longevity, no path or follow through up to the grand master or sifu back to Japan or China. Its master bob's jits class and god knows who or where he got his belt from. For all we know he could have took a few classes and bought it online. Not exactly but, you get what I am saying.

Last edited:
Ving Tsun or Wing Chun isn't about power punching. I cannot fight it but, there was a video online testing punching power, amount of power per square inch. Boxing beat out all the arts.

The most impressive thing ever was that, the Sifu for Kung fu did a regular punch, no shift or anything, no step, just a parallel straight on punch, and registered in at 700 plus pounds of pressure per square inch.

Does anyone know how much is needed to put someone unconscious? How about to kill a man? That shit is incredible.

I know the show you are talking about, and it wasn't exactly scientific. The boxer had on a boxing glove, spreading out his psi... but he was like twice the kung fu guy's size. Does that equal out? I have no idea. I have personally winded people sparring with the straight punch I learned from Wing Chung. While it wasn't full adrenalin fighting, it is also a weaker style punch than some in boxing (imo) and I usually do it less than half as hard as I can, because the nature of how it hits with the small gloves we use is dangerous. You do not want a WC straight punch to land flush with your sternum.

I know the show you are talking about, and it wasn't exactly scientific. The boxer had on a boxing glove, spreading out his psi... but he was like twice the kung fu guy's size. Does that equal out? I have no idea. I have personally winded people sparring with the straight punch I learned from Wing Chung. While it wasn't full adrenalin fighting, it is also a weaker style punch than some in boxing (imo) and I usually do it less than half as hard as I can, because the nature of how it hits with the small gloves we use is dangerous. You do not want a WC straight punch to land flush with your sternum.

No, it was on youtube. The show I am talking about was every martial artist sifu or grand master hitting some sort of device that measures power.

There is some tv show of two guys who train or fight mma, one army guy, and you see a glimpse of it.

The video I was trying to find actually showed how much power a wing chin or ving tsun sifu could generate.

Its silly. I am not educated enough in any of the arts to actually say something as ignorant as which is better. I may have personal preferences but, that is about it. From what I know, boxing with gloves on with wc is silly. It eliminates the ability to effective control.

No shot at Rogan but, he is very very ignorant on this subject. Chi Sau believe it or not is a form of grappling almost. They are getting feeling, touch, and testing things like structure. I wish I could find a better video. The punching power generated by a Hbomb or Chuck over hand is unquestionably more powerful.

The thing with chi sau is they wouldn't get it off had the wc sifu holds his structure. It works natural body locks. It sucks that I cannot find it. I am not leaving my job to live in China.

edit; yeah man. that is the one. It was on youtube but, I cannot find it. I checked the one yt video I posted but, he subscribed from somewhere. Not sure which. There is a show on netflix of the army guy and mma amateur fighter traveling the world and learning the art. The funny thing is that, you cannot learn jits or wc in a couple of days. You just cannot do that. Its silly. I wish I could win lots of money and then, spend the rest of my days sharing it with people, traveling, educating myself, and doing every single martial art that has ever existed.

An ungloved boxer is bad news

No man. An ungloved master in wc is bad news.

The best part about traditional martial arts or something like a Shaolin kung fu is that, nobody knows of it, and assumes what is mainstream is best when in fact, the stuff that goes more mainstream is likely the most watered down of all. Perfectly great arts being taught by many people that have no place training or teaching it.

I am loving this thread. Its not the art to blame when someone fails. Its the martial artist. The truth is that things like how good that martial artist is to be questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back