Important 'general' lessons you learned training standup

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Me: I started training boxing 5 years ago because I had to lose weight. Fcking hated it the first years but I had to go because otherwise my parentd had no chill. The alternative was a regular gym where there were no out of shape people.

The whole time I hated boxing so much I also sucked at it. I preferred a painful dentist appointment over training. But only quite recently I realized how much I have already picked up during training and how healthy I am now (compared to the couch potato I was).

Anyways I am training for my first non-sparring match.

Here are some things i learned along the way. Most of them are really open doors but man it took a while before i realized these things. I am curious to hear what things you guys learned as well (also the clichés please! Fck it they are cliches for good reason)

In random order:
1: Sometimes there are multiple correct ways to perform a technique. One is not always better than the other (even though every other trainer may have a different opinion), but YOU have to make it work and perfect the move.

2: It is impossible to not get hurt at all during serious training (let alone a match). To beat somebody you have to put in the work, and even with the best defense in the world you will always step out of the ring with some minor pain somewhere. When ur lucky it's only bruised lower arms from blocking shots. Big part of me not liking the sport is I believed for so long that not getting hit at all was possible. So i was dissappointed in myself all the time.

2A: Mayweather defense highlight-vids are great but they show a one sided perspective. They may give people false expectations of the sport that are just not realistic. The don't show the hard work nor the (relatively little) punishment he does take.

3: When sparring or in a match, don't feel bad when ur plan doesn't work. Try something else right away. Train yourself to recognize these moments because as simple as it may sound: this is not easy.

4: Film yourself during sparring/training. This will really help. And most of the time in the beginning you will see yourself NOT performing the basic stuff even though you thought you were doing just that.

5: the times you really really really really don't feel like training because of whatever "good" reason you have to just go. The training may go as badly as you thought but imo those are the ones that count. You have to train urself in all situations.

6: You can learn a lot from people who are better than you. And it is important to do just that. Never compare yourself to them and get discouraged. Those people had to train really hard to get where they are, unless they are some freak of nature. Keep training hard and perfecting your techniques and eventually you will amaze others. Whether you have talent or not.

May add some more when it pops in my head.

Last edited:
Just a few that pops in my head:

1. Don't keep on telling the same story. Your opponent can time you.
2. Have some built in defense to your offense (punching with head off center)
3. Not every strike has to be 100% power. You can break the rhythm by mixing power and/or speed of your combos.

Nice (and very true) @AcumenAthletics

And yeah the power thing is also great to realize. Apart from what you say it's also the accumulation factor that can count

Catching jabs to the nose over and over and over again really isnt fun for the opponent

better to give than to receive, give! and it will come back to you!

• Important to retaliate and not thinking "ah shit, its not right/missed, I'll do it next time"
  • Follow through with your combinations despite getting hit, don't bail the min you eat something
  • Be smart with training. There was a time I got injured on a Thurs and come Mon, there was an inter-club gym invite thing. Of course I went, looking back I shouldn't have. The injury wasn't fully healed and I still went gung-ho with it. Learn to know when to take time off. No point in getting messed up you have to pull out of a fight.

sometimes the right idea is more important than the right tech; alot of guys get tech but don't get situations and as a result will use a good tech in the wrong situation

Be prepared and keep your hands up.

Life advice there lads.

- Snap your punches
- Tuck your chin
- Keep your hands up
- Move when they are punching; don't stay put (keep off their line of attack)
- don't attack in a straight line
- have a few preset combos to rotate through to avoid predictability
- jab is the best!

- always position - where you stand and how you stand to your opponent is key if you are going to hit or get hit, if he moves always align centrally if you can not get an angle to attack. Do not be afraid to retreat and reset the positioning game
- always finish a combo with your lead hand or hip rotate and do a blocking move with your lead hand - in this way you finish into your natural defensive position
- it is better to do 1 hit or simple combo and switch position and change angle, then continue hitting, than doing a 3-6 or even 8 hit combination
- jab, double jab, tripple jab, body jab, body head or head body, jab duck jab - just jab. The most important hit in the stand up game.
- ducking is hugely under rated defensive move when you are in a close distance - also ducking in or ducking out, or rotate with a duck
- body, head, body head

Back