Importance of training neck to increase ko resistance?

chirpsman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Lots of people tell me that it is a waste of time to train neck for ko resistance, they say you are either born with a chin or without one, however I feel it makes perfect sense to train the neck as it would absorb the shock from a punch and prevent a knockdown or ko.
What is the general consensus on neck training?

1397842605841.jpg

It´s dope, no downside to training it, logically helps you absorb punishment, time is not a argument as it takes 10-15 minutes. Thais do neck work. Everybody serious does it, Floyd does it

I won't say don't train your neck, but don't go daring people to punch you because "Bro I have a strong neck"

I won't say don't train your neck, but don't go daring people to punch you because "Bro I have a strong neck"
I knew a dumbass in highschool who was something like this. He was known as the "tough" guy in class because he "lifted weights" every morning with his dad's set... you know, those *plastic adjustable DBs, and the flat bench that's just as stable as 2 sticks taped together. Well this genius said he conditioned himself by punching himself in the face each morning. When one of his friends asked if it was dangerous, he said he KOed himself a few times, but he got used to it so it wasn't so bad.

I told my dad about this as I didn't know better (I was 14), and he called me a dumbass as well and looked like he was ready to drop me off at an orphanage.

* =

spinlockdb.jpg

It´s dope, no downside to training it, logically helps you absorb punishment, time is not a argument as it takes 10-15 minutes. Thais do neck work. Everybody serious does it, Floyd does it

I agree with this guy

It's a good idea in general to strengthen your neck to avoid injury.

I think any weak necked individual wanting to fight should probably address their failings.

I get it through sport, metal, ohps and genetics so no biggie.

Yes train your neck especially if you are in combat sports and get hit in the head alot. That is the foundation of your head. I also reccomend defensive drills also

Iron Mike (and Henry Rollins) can't be wrong. I'm not always one to judge by appearance but I know you don't mess with a guy whose neck is bigger than his head or with cauliflower ears. That's just a good rule.

Nothing wrong with training your neck but it's usually the ones that you don't see coming are the ones that KO you.

It's better to be able to prevent getting hit than not.
If you get hit, it's better to have a stronger support of your head than not.

It's insurance. It's like training your midsection to take hits. Your gonna get hit, so why not minimize the damage that you'll take?

Of course you should strengthen your neck. Just don't expect that'll make you KO-proof.

I knew a dumbass in highschool who was something like this. He was known as the "tough" guy in class because he "lifted weights" every morning with his dad's set... you know, those *plastic adjustable DBs, and the flat bench that's just as stable as 2 sticks taped together. Well this genius said he conditioned himself by punching himself in the face each morning. When one of his friends asked if it was dangerous, he said he KOed himself a few times, but he got used to it so it wasn't so bad.

I told my dad about this as I didn't know better (I was 14), and he called me a dumbass as well and looked like he was ready to drop me off at an orphanage.

* =

spinlockdb.jpg
Your dad....I like him.

Getting knocked out by a strike usually has little to do with neck strength.

A punch knocks you out by causing your brain the get rattled around your skull or by causing the nerves to stop functioning correctly, both which require a reset to properly function again.

It has a lot to do with nerves getting damaged from strikes which causes potassium to leave the cell and calcium to enter it, but I'm not a biology major so my knowledge is limited on that part. Basically, it destabilizes the balance of the cell and makes it harder for nerves to send signals. Your body tries to heal the damage, but over time or with a strong enough blow, it cannot heal the damage in time and you go out like a sack of potatoes.

The most common nerves affected in striking are the trigeminal nerve or the inferior alveolar nerve. The trigeminal nerve is behind your sinus cavity and the inferior alveolar runs through the mandible.

The best thing you can do to increase your punch survivability is to learn how to roll with punches. You need to learn how to roll your shoulder and move your heads with the punches to keep them from being straight on. Strengthen your neck for sure, but don't think a bull neck will keep someone from one shotting you.

Ofcourse you need neck-training as a striker/boxer.. LOL, how can people here comment "it's better to not get hit so don't train it".. bigass rofl.

Anyone who's taken 10-20+ punches in a fight knows it takes its toll on the neck. Getting hit in the head there's only 1 thing that stops the head from swining back/to the side and bringing the whole body with it - the neck-muscles.

As someone said you will train abs for absorbing body-punches and same goes for the neck(but its probably even more important).

I think neck strength is important, but never really know how to train my neck. No four-way neck machine here or partner to help with it, but never experienced great results from those anyways. Neck bridges give me an immediate headache and usually cut up my head even on soft surfaces.

No need for machines or head-gear!

Most important is the sides -> Lie down on your side and do "situps" with your head. Use "Full range of motion", wobble around a bit, find and create some patterns.. mix it. You'll tire very fast->switch side. Lie down on your back(can also do it together with situps) and train the "throat" the same way.. mix it up by looking left->right->left->right.. and then neck-bridges(start with supporting with your hands) and same here -> Play around, create some patterns, mix it up, and TAKE IT EASY! 1 strain on the neck can last for weeks and its the last thing you want..

Back