"I'm strong but I can't lift heavy weights"

I was doing bench yesterday 5 x 5, and I was on my fourth set. I asked a guy to come spot me because its only my 3rd time lifting since over two years.

So he gives me the liftoff, and I do the set. I slow down a little at the end but my 5th rep was still solid. He says:

"Whyd you stop?"

"Im working for 5 reps."

"Could you have done more?"

"Probably. But Im working on completing sets."

"You should have done at least six. You shouldnt stop until you cant do anymore."

I was doing bench yesterday 5 x 5, and I was on my fourth set. I asked a guy to come spot me because its only my 3rd time lifting since over two years.

So he gives me the liftoff, and I do the set. I slow down a little at the end but my 5th rep was still solid. He says:

"Whyd you stop?"

"Im working for 5 reps."

"Could you have done more?"

"Probably. But Im working on completing sets."

"You should have done at least six. You shouldnt stop until you cant do anymore."

Could be true based on what your goals are. Working to exhaustion is what body builders do. Could have been a lot worse though because he oculd have been deadlifting 3/4 of the weight for you on the last three reps (yeah, I had that before with some guys I went to the gym with).

Could be true based on what your goals are. Working to exhaustion is what body builders do. Could have been a lot worse though because he oculd have been deadlifting 3/4 of the weight for you on the last three reps (yeah, I had that before with some guys I went to the gym with).

but even as a "body builder" (the guy was pretty flabby) he should recognize that there are several ways to train. and, even in bodybuilding, there is a place for working at completing sets, and not every set should be done to failure.

plus, the funny thing is that this guy and his friend went to the same school as me. I used to see them at the Va Tech gym, and all they would do then (and now) is bench and biceps. every once in a while theyll switch it up, but its almost exclusive. and the sad part is that they both are still doing about the same weight as they did then.

Talking about biceps, there's one guy at my gym that only trains his biceps. Is f*cking amazing. He goes three times a week, and I haven't seen him exercise any other muscle. I'm serious. There are some guys who just train their arms, but this guy takes it to a whole new level and focuses 100% on his biceps.

It is kind of opposite where I train. I see the same guys doing chest 3 or 4 times a week. I have unporportionate biceps, ( not extremely noticeable mind you) but I try and work out every muscle equally. I probably slack a little on tris but that is it.

What I hate more than anything are the guys that try and give advice when you havent asked for any, especially if they arent in better shape than I am. I had a guy that was BIGGER, not more muscular but bigger, mainly just bulky fat try and give me advice. It was kind of funny but annoying at the same time. The guy was a couple of inches taller than me and about 30 to 40 pounds heavier than me and none of his body parts overshadowed any of mine much.

It is kind of opposite where I train. I see the same guys doing chest 3 or 4 times a week. I have unporportionate biceps, ( not extremely noticeable mind you) but I try and work out every muscle equally. I probably slack a little on tris but that is it.

What I hate more than anything are the guys that try and give advice when you havent asked for any, especially if they arent in better shape than I am. I had a guy that was BIGGER, not more muscular but bigger, mainly just bulky fat try and give me advice. It was kind of funny but annoying at the same time. The guy was a couple of inches taller than me and about 30 to 40 pounds heavier than me and none of his body parts overshadowed any of mine much.

punch him in his fat stomach and tell him to mind his own f*cking business

VG57ZJYCQ4UF7ZLC7K6YDVC6BGCX6KLN.jpg

I bet he was a powerlifter. He could eat you.

To all of the people saying they're stronger on the mat that some guy thats stronger in the weight room.

I call BS.

When I trained Jiu Jitsu I was the 3rd strongest guy there because I was the 3rd strongest guy there.

Two other guys were bigger and stronger lifters than I was. The rest I could out strength at will.

I still go my ass wooped but it had nothing to do with strength. It was all technique.

The only time a lifter will feel like a weaker guy is stronger than him is when the lifter is a big fucking pussy who doesn't train properly and has legs like you'd see on a fucking Crane(the bird) or some shit.

I had this problem in highschool. I was the best bencher in my highschool by grade 10 but the grade 12 wrestlers felt stronger than me.

Why? Because I was a weak pussy with no core, legs or back.

So please just stop with the BS.

If you are stronger than someone on the mat its because the person you are rolling with is a big weak fucking pussy.

You sure as shit wouldn't be stronger than me. You'd probably tap me in under 30 seconds but it wouldn't be because you were manhandling me.

My friend is strong as a bull, has worked on a farm every summer since i don't know when but he can't lift a shit.
So even though it's unlikely that guy might have been telling the truth.

To all of the people saying they're stronger on the mat that some guy thats stronger in the weight room.

I call BS.

When I trained Jiu Jitsu I was the 3rd strongest guy there because I was the 3rd strongest guy there.

Two other guys were bigger and stronger lifters than I was. The rest I could out strength at will.

I still go my ass wooped but it had nothing to do with strength. It was all technique.

The only time a lifter will feel like a weaker guy is stronger than him is when the lifter is a big fucking pussy who doesn't train properly and has legs like you'd see on a fucking Crane(the bird) or some shit.

I had this problem in highschool. I was the best bencher in my highschool by grade 10 but the grade 12 wrestlers felt stronger than me.

Why? Because I was a weak pussy with no core, legs or back.

So please just stop with the BS.

If you are stronger than someone on the mat its because the person you are rolling with is a big weak fucking pussy.

You sure as shit wouldn't be stronger than me. You'd probably tap me in under 30 seconds but it wouldn't be because you were manhandling me.

Actually, the principles of BJJ prove that proper technique will make a person feel much stronger and much harder to control. That is why grappling technique is vastly more important than strength. That is why Royce dominated despite his strength, and why smaller guys easily defeat bigger stronger opponents.

no you don't. you may be a far superior grappler, but you're not throwing anyone around.

ok you're right. You've seen me grapple and know me personally. Be it that I'm a smarter grappler or w/e, I still toss them around.

I have one guy in my class who works out at the gym everyday and can bench 150 pounds( mind you were only in gr.8 -__-) anyways when it comes to football he can barely even take me down and he weighs 10 pounds more then me. Also i can i throw him like nothing ... yeah basically comes from genetics or that vein :icon_chee

From your sig. I can tell it's because... you're asian. RIGHT? RIGHT?

I have one guy in my class who works out at the gym everyday and can bench 150 pounds( mind you were only in gr.8 -__-) anyways when it comes to football he can barely even take me down and he weighs 10 pounds more then me. Also i can i throw him like nothing ... yeah basically comes from genetics or that vein :icon_chee

No, it is not all genetics. He probably doesn't know how to tackle or has an extremely weak squat and deadlift. Heck, I remember when I was in 8th grade I thought that squats were evil and deadlifts were the best way to rip out your back. God I had some stupid ideas back then. Anyway, have you ever seen this guy bench 150lbs? Last year, there was a kid I knew who claimed to be able to bench 195lbs, which was awesome considering he was 15. Now, he came over to my house and wanted to workout. So he goes out there and does some curls and leg presses, then I ask if he wants to bench. He agreed, and he warms up with 45lbs. He then goes for 95lbs and gets the bar stuck and I had to pull it up, lol.

No, it is not all genetics. He probably doesn't know how to tackle or has an extremely weak squat and deadlift. Heck, I remember when I was in 8th grade I thought that squats were evil and deadlifts were the best way to rip out your back. God I had some stupid ideas back then. Anyway, have you ever seen this guy bench 150lbs? Last year, there was a kid I knew who claimed to be able to bench 195lbs, which was awesome considering he was 15. Now, he came over to my house and wanted to workout. So he goes out there and does some curls and leg presses, then I ask if he wants to bench. He agreed, and he warms up with 45lbs. He then goes for 95lbs and gets the bar stuck and I had to pull it up, lol.

yeah i went to the gym with him once and he benched 150lbs . Also he has a personal trainer and plays for the cities football team :

Back