Im rewatching The Wire.

Sopranos is not only Better than the wire but it's much smarter and also a hell of a lot more popular.

The wire is a close second to sopranos though.

Im going to put The Wire ahead of Soprano's in terms of "smarter"

Reflected in respected universities using it as part of course curriculum (beyond media studies / pop culture / film)

Why we're teaching 'The Wire' at Harvard

Why so many colleges are teaching The Wire.

How ‘The Wire’ is inspiring new classroom curricula

I started The Sopranos last week too. I saw some of it before but never made it all the way through.

It definitely has some alright moments but you're right that it doesn't even come close to The Wire.

Other shows that were much better than The Sopranos

Game Of Thrones
Rome
Breaking Bad
Homeland
Shameless
Sleeper Cell
Entourage

Mad Men is probably the most boring show in the history of shows. Nothing ever happens in that show. Just some identity thief getting drunk and cheating on his wife because his depressed that his mom was a hooker.
Rome is probably my favorite out of that list. Don't know much about Homeland, Shameless or Sleeper Cell. Which one you think is the best out of the three?

Whenever someone yells "Omar comin" I resist the urge to run and hide.

bdjtyq.jpg

Last edited:
the last season ruined it for me.

Rome is probably my favorite out of that list. Don't know much about Homeland, Shameless or Sleeper Cell. Which one you think is the best out of the three?

Homeland and Sleeper Cell are drama/thrillers on the same level imo. Homeland was the bigger show with a lot of critical acclaim.

Shameless is more comedy/drama that also had a fair share of critical acclaim.

Homeland and Sleeper Cell are drama/thrillers on the same level imo. Homeland was the bigger show with a lot of critical acclaim.

Shameless is more comedy/drama that also had a fair share of critical acclaim.

Shameless is Married with Children taken to the extreme -- past the extreme. Its one comedy where you can be laughing your balls off one second and in complete shock at what you witnessed the next.

Sleeper Cell is underrated as hell -- but it jump the shark pretty hard in the 3rd season -- ironically, same with Homeland.

Last edited:
the last season ruined it for me.

Really?

Four seasons of genius ruined because the writer's strike resulted in a weak fifth season?

That's tragic.

Shameless is Married with Children taken to the extreme -- past the extreme. Its one comedy were you can be laughing your balls off one second and in complete shock at what you witnessed the next.

Sleeper Cell is underrated as hell -- but it jump the shark pretty hard in the 3rd season -- ironically, same with Homeland.

Shameless is amazing.

Some extraordinary, haunting scenes.

shameless%204.gif

shameless%203.gif

I loved the first two seasons of Sleeper Cell too.

Really?

Four seasons of genius ruined because the writer's strike resulted in a weak fifth season?

That's tragic.

haha it was the whole thing with McNulty & the homeless/string killer that soured it for me. but I did love the first 4.

Shameless is amazing.

Some extraordinary, haunting scenes.

shameless%204.gif

shameless%203.gif

Yep

Laughing your ass off as they party in the living room, when 2 seconds later it cuts to their toddler brother OD'ing in the in kitchen. Or, having a happy thanksgiving dinner, then immediately panning to the mom trying to kill herself in the next room

Im going to put The Wire ahead of Soprano's in terms of "smarter"

Reflected in respected universities using it as part of course curriculum (beyond media studies / pop culture / film)

Why we're teaching 'The Wire' at Harvard

Why so many colleges are teaching The Wire.

How ‘The Wire’ is inspiring new classroom curricula

The entire psychiatrist angle made it smarter IMO.

But like I said the wire is right there with it. Like a cunt hair apart. They're both that good.

The entire psychiatrist angle made it smarter IMO.

But like I said the wire is right there with it. Like a cunt hair apart. They're both that good.

You sure you being an eye-tie from Jersey isnt biasing your opinion...just a bit?

Both are great shows -- and you can rank one above the other depending on tastes -- just on the category of "smarter" i cant see how the Sopranos takes the Wire. The realism and intricacies of the Wire are so broad -- Simon spent decades of his life living in that world and created 3 shows that just expanded upon it immensely. Homicide: Life on the Streets lead into The Corner lead into The Wire -- its just incredibly dynamic.

Nice Cunt hair reference tho, Chrisy

Shameless is Married with Children taken to the extreme -- past the extreme. Its one comedy where you can be laughing your balls off one second and in complete shock at what you witnessed the next.

Only watched the first 2 seasons of Sleeper Cell.

haha it was the whole thing with McNulty & the homeless/string killer that soured it for me. but I did love the first 4.

After just recently rewatching the series, I stopped after a little into the fifth. The storyline definitely stood out as sub quality.

I'm rewatching The Wire as well, on episode 2 of season 2 now.

Great show, but it does start slow and for that it's not GOAT imo. That said, it's still excellent and I recommend it to anyone. My brother listened to my recommendation and loved it.

Season 2 is your favorite season?

That's universally regarded as the weakest season of The Wire.

But TBF that season is still better than most season of other shows.

Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire might be the greatest single season of a TV show. To bad Terence Winter was an idiot and rushed the ending so he could make one season of Vinyl lol
I thought season 5 was regarded as the worst. I'm not a fan of season 4 either.
I lost interest in BE when they killed Jimmy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back