Im going to be visiting san Francisco

mrblackcoffee

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
so I'm visiting san francisco for a few days and i was thinking about taking some free bjj classes at some schools here on my list is : ralph gracie and caio terra school and does anyone else have any recommendations some must try schools/instructors?

also do you guys know when caio terra teaches at his school and when kurt osiander teaches?

so I'm visiting san francisco for a few days and i was thinking about taking some free bjj classes at some schools here on my list is : ralph gracie and caio terra school and does anyone else have any recommendations some must try schools/instructors?

also do you guys know when caio terra teaches at his school and when kurt osiander teaches?

Caio is in San Jose, a good hour or more drive from San Francisco, FYI.

Ralph Gracie SF is $35 a day for visitors. I believe Caio's gym was $25.

In San Francisco, you have El Niño Training Center, Bay Jiu-Jitsu, Denny Prokopos at 10th Planet, Romulo Melo, Carlos Sapão and more.

In the Bay Area in general, you have Cesar Gracie in Pleasant Hill, Dave Camarillo in Pleasanton, Ralph Gracie in Mountain View, Milton Bastos in Mountain View, Eduardo Rocha in Oakland.

I heard that charging for jiu jitsu is illegal in the San Francisco Bay Area.

well i thought that most of the schools would have a free trial class

Most academies in or around large cities charge a mat fee. If willing to pay,i'd stick to the Academies in SF. Traffic in the Bay Area is a pain.

Yes but that would be for people that wants to try out to see if they want to train on a long term basis.

In your case, you are just a tourist wanting free class at famous academies.

Yes but that would be for people that wants to try out to see if they want to train on a long term basis.

In your case, you are just a tourist wanting free class at famous academies.
so they wouldn't be qualified to take a free trial class??

You can probably scam your way into a free class. I travel a lot and I like to visit small schools that nobody has heard of. I am up front about my background and offer assistance or a free seminar called "everything I know." I very rarely pay a mat fee.

I know both Kurt and Caio. It seems like you just want to meet them and see what is like in their class. I suggest paying the mat fee. Are you a world champion black belt? If you are cool and up front about your skill set you will have a good experience.

You can probably scam your way into a free class. I travel a lot and I like to visit small schools that nobody has heard of. I am up front about my background and offer assistance or a free seminar called "everything I know." I very rarely pay a mat fee.

I know both Kurt and Caio. It seems like you just want to meet them and see what is like in their class. I suggest paying the mat fee. Are you a world champion black belt? If you are cool and up front about your skill set you will have a good experience.
I don't really see it as a scam since its offered on the website, and meeting them isn't my first priority i just want to take a class under them

I would give the school a call to find out when they teach. I hope it works out for you.

I don't really see it as a scam since its offered on the website, and meeting them isn't my first priority i just want to take a class under them

Like other posters have said, free trial is normally for locals as they'd be potential customers.
You're basically wanting a service, they normally charge for, for free. Not saying I agree with it but it's business baby.

An example.
AOJ ran by the Mendes bros offer a free class but they state "TRIAL CLASS IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR ORANGE COUNTY RESIDENTS."

https://www.artofjiujitsu.com/trial-class/

Back