I'm an Atheist/Nihilist, ask me anyting

Two weeks ago you were a satanist. What kind of "ist" will you be in a week.

Two weeks ago you were a satanist. What kind of "ist" will you be in a week.

86k7K_s-200x150.gif

I'm friendly and will not bite. There are two types of Atheism:

Implicit (unknowledgeable about thology, like a child who is a default atheist).

and

Explicit. I am the explicit type (knowingly reject stories about mythology/theology). I reject it due to logic and critical thinking.

Quick point about agnosticism: we are all agnostic. Meaning we don't know and cannot know whether god exists. But we can be theistic agnostics (believe deities exists) or atheistic agnostics (believe here are no deities).

Regarding nihilism aspect, morality is man-made and evolves over time.

I'm happy to discuss and will site references. Most of what I posted here is from a great book I read a while ago that turned me into an Atheist called: Atheism a Case Against God by George H. Smith. I read many years ago. I went through all the steps: denial, anger, acceptance and now full critical thinking and happiness that life can have value without cultural fairytales.

I own his works.
Well, then you should know being that kind of satanist and a nihilist atheist are compatible. That said, it does seem like he's desperate for attention with these labels.

Well, then you should know being that kind of satanist and a nihilist atheist are compatible. That said, it does seem like he's desperate for attention with these labels.
Yes. And Yes.

I was a fan of Tolkien's work when I was younger, of course. It is, in many ways a modern reconstruction of pagan myths. There are stories he wrote which are essentially translated versions of Finno-Ugric myths, fit within Tolkien's own framework.

Reading Kalevala is not an easy task because "old Finnish" was essentially a poem language, which is hard to translate without losing context, and is difficult enough for even a modern-day Finn to properly understand. It is not really a work that one can truly appreciate at an early age, or in many cases, any age. On the other hand, Tolkien's works are more accessible to a person of any age, and contain many of the same elements. One can gain a rough understanding of pagan European "hero ideals" and morality from reading his work. I could cite many examples but that would probably be considered a hi-jacking of this thread.

In reality the Christianity of centuries ago, in these lands, wasn't merely the moral tell-tale about the adventures of a Middle Eastern man that it now is, but rather a large framework consisting of morals and standards and institutions that everyone operated under, which fused together Germanic, Roman and Semitic tradition, in a way which allowed this "pagan virility" to discipline itself, under the societal structure of southern civilizations.

Even those who look to paganism with rose-tinted glasses, ought to understand that the conversion to Christianity was a necessary phenomenon. I don't exactly consider myself an expert of Nietzsche's work (although I have a general understanding of his ideas), but it is my understanding that he also acknowledged the "disciplinary" effect of Christianity, on the "pagan" European.

Curiously, the final story of Kalevala describes the departure of Väinämöinen (the pagan hero), at the behest of "fatherless boy" (Christianity), with a promise of his return.

vainamoinen.jpg

Many Finnish poems are incredibly epic from the perspective of extreme individualism/self-empowerment/anti-collectivism (to whomever those ideals may appeal), and it is a shame that it is near impossible to translate them in any meaningful way whatsoever.

HAAA! Too weird we were just talking about this.

BREAKING:

Church of Sweden to stop referring to God as 'he' or 'Lord'
http://www.dailywire.com/news/23932...m_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro
Church of Sweden Castrates God: No Saying 'He' Or 'Lord'

Melkor's lieutenant's be like:
latest

It is alway better to just believe because just in case, God does exist and really does not like people who dont have faith in him. Being a nihilist/atheist is not worth spending an eternity being tortured.

You can still live a fruitful existence while believing in a God that does not exist. Once you do die, and if no God exist, then you have not lost anything. That is my take on it.

It is alway better to just believe because just in case, God does exist and really does not like people who dont have faith in him. Being a nihilist/atheist is not worth spending an eternity being tortured.

You can still live a fruitful existence while believing in a God that does not exist. Once you do die, and if no God exist, then you have not lost anything. That is my take on it.
if there are multiple gods you just made all the other ones jealous

Why do you deny the existence of a malevolent trickster god when this reality is clearly a manifestation of evil intent?

Your argument is based on a philosophical position called Pascal's wager. I'ts been debunked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Back