I'm an Atheist/Nihilist, ask me anyting

So now we are talking about a "talking snake". Still why would God punish all snakes over the deeds of just one snake?

This is the stuff that made me quickly realise how the bible is just old stories told by people trying too explain the world they lived in.
Youre missing the point or I wasn't clear enough. God if there is one is a vindictive dbag. You know.. The same God that killed off everyone in a flood because some where doing bad shit and your asking me why he'd do that to snakes lol

Anyways. My point is what the stories have God say. " you'll forever crawl on your belly" as if there was some other plan for snakes

You mean lack of belief in a certain claim? You cant call yourself an atheist for not believing in Bigfoot correct?

Anyways was just wondering what level
Of evidence you'd need to start believing.
I think I'd give pause in my disbelief if there was some real world truths in the Bible. Or any of the books.
Not that I'd start worshipping said God though.

Great question. I have two responses.

1. No signs form God: I have a very religious friend, known him for years (childhood friend). We argue about religion all the time. Then one day he fessed up. He said..."Bro...know what? I don't think there will ever be any signs from a god". I immediately stayed quite. Agreed and there was no more reason to argue with him. He chooses to believe because for him it's comforting. We left it there.

2. Personal bias: Sometimes personal bias is so strong for both believers and non-believers alike that no matter what the evidence is, they wont be swayed. (This mostly happens with believers). They don't want to know what is true, religion is too comfortable. But what if someone like me or Richard Dawkins saw the stars align to say "I AM GOD"? What would I do? I ASK MYSELF THAT ALL THE TIME. Would i revise my belief or would I think I have lost my mind and see a shrink? Maybe I wouldn't be able to see it because of my bias. I hope I am a reasonable, open minded person. It's human nature. It takes a good person to revise their beliefs based on evidence.

Im starting to see why people hate atheists lol.

Good point buddy.

Last time I checked atheists were starting holy wars, retarding science, fucking kids in churches by the thousands, blocking condoms in AIDS ridden Africa, not paying taxes, hating homosexuals, stoning people to death, having superstitious talismans all over the house and calling everyone else (other religions included) evil heretics.

Atheists are so terrible.

Good point buddy.

Last time I checked atheists were starting holy wars, retarding science, fucking kids in churches by the thousands, blocking condoms in AIDS ridden Africa, not paying taxes, hating homosexuals, stoning people to death, having superstitious talismans all over the house and calling everyone else (other religions included) evil heretics.

Atheists are so terrible.
#notallatheists.

It was a joke mate but you do have to admit there is a level of arrogance from atheists. It's very similar to the liberal attitude I find

Great question. I have two responses.

1. No signs form God: I have a very religious friend, known him for years (childhood friend). We argue about religion all the time. Then one day he fessed up. He said..."Bro...know what? I don't think there will ever be any signs from a god". I immediately stayed quite. Agreed and there was no more reason to argue with him. He chooses to believe because for him it's comforting. We left it there.

2. Personal bias: Sometimes personal bias is so strong for both believers and non-believers alike that no matter what the evidence is, they wont be swayed. (This mostly happens with believers). They don't want to know what is true, religion is too comfortable. But what if someone like me or Richard Dawkins saw the stars align to say "I AM GOD"? What would I do? I ASK MYSELF THAT ALL THE TIME. Would i revise my belief or would I think I have lost my mind and see a shrink? Maybe I wouldn't be able to see it because of my bias. I hope I am a reasonable, open minded person. It's human nature. It takes a good person to revise their beliefs based on evidence.
Im not sure what you are answering tbh? I asked what you would need to start believing.

Is no sign from God a sign there is no God? What if he is just not that into you?

So back to my original question. If all we have is these old books for proof of a God would or could there be anything written in it that would make you believe.

Let's use another example. Let's say Jesus told his peeps about germ theory for example. ( even though he didn't and actually told people NOT to wash their hands lol)

Would that be enough to start believing. Would it have to be a ginormous truth bomb or could be many small truth bombs.

Just curious.

#notallatheists.

It was a joke mate but you do have to admit there is a level of arrogance from atheists. It's very similar to the liberal attitude I find

Maybe. Just pissed off at how dumb people can be. Especially when Jehovah's witnesses knock on your door at dinner time.

Maybe. Just pissed off at how dumb people can be. Especially when Jehovah's witnesses knock on your door at dinner time.
Haha. I try to get pissed off at the JW too when they show up but they always send these 2 very attractive ladies. I'd of signed up already if they'd ever show a little cleavage

Im not sure what you are answering tbh? I asked what you would need to start believing.

Oh. sorry. I missed that. Anyway, I don't need it, here is why. I feel comfortable without it. I would rather like to know what is true. No gods, no fear. I believe in taking full responsibility for myself. Many people need a belief in a god to feel comfortable.

Is no sign from God a sign there is no God? What if he is just not that into you?

Then why create me? What kind of an all loving, all knowing parent is that? Did you know that 5 million children die before the age of 6 from disease? What a lovely god.

So back to my original question. If all we have is these old books for proof of a God would or could there be anything written in it that would make you believe.

Ok, I see. It's a difficult question my friend. They were written so long ago by unknown authors. Not very convincing, not very close to reality and not very relevant. I read them all. I'll give you an example (besides Noah's ark which is ridiculous). They claim Egypt took Jewish slaves. Did you know that Jews appeared 1000 years later in the historical timeline? There were never Jewish slaves at the time of the pyramids. About the Koran, it has some science in it apparently. Like the earth revolves around the sun (Greeks already knew that). Like a barrier between salt and sweet water. Many people are convinced, but not me. If it were true science, then Muslims would have discovered it before us.

Haha. I try to get pissed off at the JW too when they show up but they always send these 2 very attractive ladies. I'd of signed up already if they'd ever show a little cleavage

Really, ladies? Why do I always get losers with partially shaved hair and clown clothes?

I like the story of the Israelites walking the desert for 40 years.

Google maps shows it would take 2 weeks to walk but who's counting lol

I'm friendly and will not bite. There are two types of Atheism:

Implicit (unknowledgeable about thology, like a child who is a default atheist).

and

Explicit. I am the explicit type (knowingly reject stories about mythology/theology). I reject it due to logic and critical thinking.

Quick point about agnosticism: we are all agnostic. Meaning we don't know and cannot know whether god exists. But we can be theistic agnostics (believe deities exists) or atheistic agnostics (believe here are no deities).

Regarding nihilism aspect, morality is man-made and evolves over time.

I'm happy to discuss and will site references. Most of what I posted here is from a great book I read a while ago that turned me into an Atheist called: Atheism a Case Against God by George H. Smith. I read many years ago. I went through all the steps: denial, anger, acceptance and now full critical thinking and happiness that life can have value without cultural fairytales.
Would you really cut off someone’s johnson?

Back