I'm a server at a busy well known restaurant. Ask me anything

Haven't read this thread... but do you believe the customer is always right? Do you expect customers to be nice to you?

Oh and to settle this damn debate, tipping began in the prohibition Era because business essentially suffered without alcohol sales. Therefore the owners couldn't pay the staff as much and hence tipping kind of became a thing.

I don't think that is correct - https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori..._did_the_tipping_culture_in_the_us_originate/

Though it might sound suprising to modern ears, tipping has its origins in Europe, in particular Britain.

In the early modern period it became common for aristocrats to pay a 'vail' when staying as a guest with other aristocrats. This was used to reward servants of that house who put in extra effort and carried out extra duties on behalf of the guests. This spread from there into commercial establishments when coffee shops and restaurants began to expand in the cities. By the 1760s, footmen, valets and other staff would expect vails, and there are references in a number of contemporary sources to tipping in coffee houses.

Prior to the Civil War, Americans did not tip. Much like in modern Japan, it was seen as unseemly to do so, undemocratically highlighting the social power between tipper and tippee. This changed in the late 19th century when Americans started visiting Europe. They picked up the practice and quickly became renowned for over-tipping - partly seen as a consequence of them not being used to having staff in the way that wealthy Europeans were.

When Americans returned home, the practice spread, though it was not without critics. Anti-Tipping leagues were formed, and the practice was banned in 6 states between 1909 and 1926.

In the 1960s tipping became even more common and arguable mandatory when Congress altered the law to allow minimum wage to be discounted for tips. This forced many waitstaff to live off tips, and therefore they became a greater expectation. The growth of people having a waiting job at some point in their lives also encouraged the growth of tipping culture.

If you want to know more, the best book on the subject is probably Tipping: An American Social History of Gratuitiesby Kerry Segrave though it is more of an archive than analysis.

This thread turned ugly fast. It reminds me why I eat at A&W of all places, less food tampering.

My question was "DO YOU WRITE DOWN ***EVERYTHING*** someone asks for by having your pad and pen READY, that means when you GREET a table as well as at the end as well where they may ask for a box, check, bag, etc.?

Most servers only write down the entrée orders and anything else they seem to think they can remember, when most can't in general.

I don't know how they could expect to remember one order to the next when they take many orders day after day. What really gets me is when they leave the check and I see they did write down what I ordered but just didn't bring it. It happens to me so often that it has gotten to be a running joke among my friends. It's always my order that gets screwed up. I've even just told them I'll have the same thing as someone else and they manage to screw it up.

I order pancakes and I get waffles. Order scrambled eggs and they bring them over easy. I order orange juice and they completely forget it. Order mashed potato and get a baked potato.

I don't know how they could expect to remember one order to the next when they take many orders day after day. What really gets me is when they leave the check and I see they did write down what I ordered but just didn't bring it. It happens to me so often that it has gotten to be a running joke among my friends. It's always my order that gets screwed up. I've even just told them I'll have the same thing as someone else and they manage to screw it up.

I order pancakes and I get waffles. Order scrambled eggs and they bring them over easy. I order orange juice and they completely forget it. Order mashed potato and get a baked potato.

Thanks, because it's ALL SOOOOOOOOOO TRUE and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!

Holy shit. @Springs1 is still around?

An entire gimmick account based on being a server and being bitter about people not respecting it. What a trip.

I think you're a troll but if you're being serious, you have mental problems.
What part of "Abilene Texas, restaurant worker, looking for attention on Sherdog for job I do, and what I do,to the food - if only you ask..." tipped you off?

Last edited:
When did waiters and waitresses become known as servers? And what was the driver?

EDIT just googled it and it was a hamfisted solution by libcucks to solves the evil of gender specific nouns. I don't understand how millennials could have grown up in a shitty economy post 9/11 world and these are the problems they are out solving. We really are doomed.

Last edited:
I've worked in restaurants for a long time. I've seen servers walk out of 6 hour shifts with 200 dollars in their pocket, and still have the nerve to complain about that one guy who didn't tip.

Crazy to me that the people who do the least amount of work in a restaurant make the most money. Unless you're an elite chef in an elite restaurant, working in the kitchen of a busy restaurant is back breaking work for disastrously low wages (comparable to the amount of work). You really have to love working with food to make that your career of choice.

And, of course, absolutely hate customers. You have to have a deep, burning, biblical hatred for customers to walk into the restaurant industry and decide you'd rather work in the kitchen than to be a server. You have to really fucking hate people to choose making half the money for double the work.

And I really, really hate customers.
I've worked in restaurants my entire life, I'm cooking now but I demand a high hourly.

But it's taken time. I work a 10 burner sautee' station and can handle extremely busy breakfast shifts. I'm making 17 an hour as a cook right now, which averages out to more than the servers I'm pretty sure. Maybe some of the servers who have been here forever with regulars and the best sections make more than me.

and the executive chef. He probably makes the most

Holy shit. @Springs1 is still around?

An entire gimmick account based on being a server and being bitter about people not respecting it. What a trip.
Google the name. Springs1 doesn't just post here. I don't know what the fuck he/she/it is. It could just be some rogue AI who's obsessed with food service or a very dedicated troll network. Springs1 is everywhere.

I was pretty sure Springs was banned too. I guess not.

I saw in the newspaper a 43 yr old former beauty queen was busted for increasing customers' charges to boost her tip. I guess she wasn't beautiful enough to be a trophy wife for some rich dude so she went the waitress/fraudster career path.

Back