I'm a Purple belt thinking of demoting myself to white belt

That's a good idea you should listen to this guy.

Yea it is a good idea. You should do what this guy says and listen to the other guy who is telling you to take the advice of that first guy

Have you stopped to think that waiting out in the car would solve all of your problems at the other gym?

hell, I wouldn't have felt comfortable going inside a gym after they told me i could no longer train there. Talk about uncomfortable.

If your girlfriend wants to switch gyms when her contract expires, that's reasonable. Until then (and if she doesn't want to switch), there's no reason to drag her into your drama. When you come to pick her up, wait outside in the parking lot like a reasonable adult.

You've got a new gym where you're being challenged technically and growing, it sounds like it's a good fit for you and will bring your game to the next level. What more do you want?

If your girlfriend wants to switch gyms when her contract expires, that's reasonable. Until then (and if she doesn't want to switch), there's no reason to drag her into your drama. When you come to pick her up, wait outside in the parking lot like a reasonable adult.

You've got a new gym where you're being challenged technically and growing, it sounds like it's a good fit for you and will bring your game to the next level. What more do you want?

Yeah, man. Sounds like their loss.

As for the demotion thing: Since you sound like you're right at the appropriate skill level for purple belt at the new gym (getting tapped by the better blues, catching some browns), the only reason for doing that is to make a dramatic gesture of cutting ties with your old coach, since he pissed you off. Don't bother indulging in that petty stuff. Just move on.

No you just sound like you have an ego problem. You were tapping out everyone at your old school and thus your ego was intact.

Now at your new school you are getting tapped by lower belts. Having a white belt on would alleviate the pressure and you would still be tapping out blue and purple belts. Wearing a white belt will do nothing but soften the blows to your ego.

Dees, just suck it up and train. You know you have to step it up so do it, not take a step back. Otherwise, I have one conjoined word for you...

sandbagger

Wow. So much to choose from.

I'll spare everyone a novel and just ask this:

How many of you belong to gyms where guys spar without supervision? I've only belonged to 2 gyms and haven't traveled, so perhaps my experiences are extremely limited. However, both gyms watched sparring sessions, i.e. AT LEAST one coach was actively watching every sparring session at all times.

If the owner didn't see the sparring session in the OP, I would think he should be able to defer to whichever coach did.

What a coincidence. I am a 0 stripe white belt thinking of promoting myself to purple belt.

Either the TS
1.) really doesn't like his old coach and gym and that's why he wants to burn his belt, and is using the tapping to blues as a rationalization.

or

2.) Had a big ego that got a spanking when he tapped to blues, and hes using this drama to rationalize demotion.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say it sounds kinda more like #1. In which case I can understand, TS has some now painful and distasteful experiences (even if it's just from his perspective) associated with old gym and his rank.

However, you have an instructor, who is black belt, who promoted to purple. Any demotion, for any reason, from a legitimately earned ranking to anything lower is sandbagging.

Agree with Keep Belt, Move GF.

Keep your purple. You earned it.

This. No need to talk to the new instructor.

I don't understand why people post threads like this. BJJ is like a roller coaster. Some days youre wrecking shop on the mats and somedays you cant seem to even keep the new guy in your guard.

It happens. You train, you improve, you go back. Trading in your belt....silly

I have seen 2 black belts tap'd by blue belts in the last 6 months

Yeah this happens a lot more often than most of us would like to admit.

OP, why the fuck are you doing hard leg kicks in training? Dick move. Save that shit for the heavy bag.

Not sure if trolling or not, but it's threads like this that make me embarrassed to be doing BJJ and checking this forum. You would never see this drama in a boxing gym

Calling BS on that one, ive been to quite a few drama filled boxing gyms.

You will lose all your skills when you burn your belt. Don't you know that it is a mystic vault where all your skills are stored?

Keep your purple. You earned it.

If a black belt thought enough of you to give you a purple, you should wear it not to represent him/his school, btu to represent all your training, your blood sweat and tears so to speak.

Let me tell you the truth of it, as passionate as you may think your instructor is about BJJ, he likes money more.
He doesn't want you to encourage anyone to leave the school, aka his business, aka his hustle.

You sound like a good guy, you gotta pull your girl from that school too though. Have fun and enjoy your new training.

sounds like you want to burn your belt for symbolic reasons.

Everyone's belts have seen some shit, some of it isn't stuff you are proud of. But that is what makes it.

You don't see older sharks without shittons of scars do you?

If a black belt thought enough of you to give you a purple, you should wear it not to represent him/his school, btu to represent all your training, your blood sweat and tears so to speak.

BBs can be and are wrong. If I were to question the judgement of a past coach, I would talk to the new coach and see how be feels.

Sorry to hear about your old school but you seem to be taking the mature route

as far as what you're experiencing in your new gym, I think it's fairly common. It doesn't sound like you were challanged much in the past so it's probably a nice change of pace. keep your belt. You'll learn and adapt quickly and your game will be better for the move

TS... be very careful when discussing gym changes with your girlfriend, because you might be on thin ice without knowing it.

A lot of the men in this thread are giving you some bad advice by suggesting you can or should "move" your girlfriend to a different gym, as though she's a minor child. This could blow up in your face very badly.

#1: You've got no authority whatsoever when it comes to another adult's gym contract. The fact you're dating this particular adult gives you absolutely no say in how she spends her money. I'm assuming she's paying for her own gym fees. Most women do, and when they don't, they generally don't train unless their meal ticket is there too. Which clearly isn't happening, since she's continuing to train even though you're not there. If you want a say in how she spends her money or her time, you have to make her wife and not a girlfriend.

#2: Your drama is not her drama (see the "wife" versus "girlfriend" discussion above). If she's happy with her current gym and it's meeting her training needs, there's absolutely no reason to convince her to leave. Giving up her teammates, friends, and support system is roughly on par with moving to a new city where she might not fit in. That new gym of yours might be great for you, but what if it's lousy for her? Which leads me to...

#3: Nobody changes her patches for a piece of random wang. At least, not if they take their sport or their community seriously (i.e. if she's not a sausage chaser). Your girlfriend didn't follow you right out the door and she had no problem going to class without you. Obviously she believes the classes are still worth attending, and something about the school and the community is working for her.

Any athlete has the right to change gyms if they find a better opportunity for themselves, but that's not what you'd be asking your girlfriend to do. You'd be asking her to switch because having her continue to train at a gym where she's happy has become mildly inconvenient to you, due in part to your own actions.

Women sometimes do stupid things for love, so switching teams for you, sacrificing what I'm assuming is a good reputation, and chasing sausage might be a worthwhile sacrifice to make-- but only for someone who's proven himself to be a worthy partner. If you haven't done this, if you haven't put a ring on it, then you simply haven't earned the right to make such a major request yet.

Suppose for the sake of argument that you were to put pressure on her to switch teams anyway. You might get a surprise you don't like. As a single, straight female in BJJ she is irresistible and can replace a boyfriend with a snap of her fingers, especially when you are conveniently training somewhere else. It would probably require less effort than getting out of a long-term gym contract. But if you put a ring on it, she has no choice but to consider your perspective: weddings are expensive to cancel and even more expensive to undo.

Back